S2 McCarty review

Thanks for posting that, Juan - it's a glowing review of the guitar for sure.

And, a $500 price jump in two years is significant, of course. But, at least the buyer is getting something for the money (core-level pickups and electronics) instead of just sucking up inflation.

A buyer could always save $300 by getting the Thinline and have every bit as good a guitar - just give up the quite modestly figured maple top.

I dunno…when a brand new Les Paul Studio with a gloss nitro finish can be had for $1700 or an SG standard for less than 2K? With the quality and prices of the SE series, I just wonder if this will put a dent in the popularity of the S2 series.

I see more folks either going with an SE or springing for a new (or used) core.

Yeesh.

A Clean, Used Guitar Can Be A Very Good Thing. Pricing On Everything Is Out Of Control. If You Can Save A Bit Of Coin By Going Used And Jumping To A Core I Would Be All Over That Option Personally. My $.02 Or with Inflation $.08 ;)

It seems that the S2's depreciate more on the used market than SE's or Gibbys and maybe Cores too.

But my '22 S2 sounds closer acoustically to my Cores than to the SEs though the pups are closer to the SE's.
I think the depreciation percentage is similar but the dollar amount is definitely more with the higher price tag.

I'm one that would seek used regardless of lines. In my mind they are all overpriced these days like about everything else. The used deals that can be had for core and s2 make it a no brainer. The used s2 10th is not that much more money than a new se. After mods of pickups, electronics, and tuners to the se you'd probably have more into the se than a used s2 with all that done for you by PRS. And the gap to core would absolutely be much closer with the s2 than all that done to a se.

I think the depreciation percentage is similar but the dollar amount is definitely more with the higher price tag.

I'm one that would seek used regardless of lines. In my mind they are all overpriced these days like about everything else. The used deals that can be had for core and s2 make it a no brainer. The used s2 10th is not that much more money than a new se. After mods of pickups, electronics, and tuners to the se you'd probably have more into the se than a used s2 with all that done for you by PRS. And the gap to core would absolutely be much closer with the s2 than all that done to a se.
Truth

I had an option in a 2016 S2 22 (sea foam green though so not for me) Standard here but he wants $1000 for it, maybe we will see older model s2 price drop on used markets since they introduced the core electrics and pups in the new lines

Back