S2 gets Core Pickups and Electronics

Move makes sense, since the SE pickups are great for 1000 dollar guitars, but not so much for 2500 dollar ones. That being said, 350 upcharge is rather hefty in my book, no matter how great the 58/15 LTs are.
When you look at the cost of the pickups, pots and switches, I think $350 is a very reasonable upcharge. You would spend more than that just on the pickups.

If you consider retail prices I agree, however I hardly think PRS uses internal pricing based on retail. However since we usually pay (more or less) retail, it is understandable from a business perspective

From John Mann's store with the SPRING24 20% off sale, I can upgrade my S2 with 8515 LT's and upgraded wire harness for $480. Is it worth it going from the 8515-S?

Want!

Possibly 24-08 too, but the NF Vela is intriguing indeed. Red works too. 😉

The original neck pickup had tons more character, and I just don’t think birds look right on a Vela. PRS took away a big part of its “cool factor” IMHO. Plus now everything they make has birds, so if you don’t like bird inlays you’re kinda screwed now.

If you consider retail prices I agree, however I hardly think PRS uses internal pricing based on retail. However since we usually pay (more or less) retail, it is understandable from a business perspective
Of course the retail cost isn't going to equal the internal cost to the company. That won't ever happen with any company, at least not one that will stay in business.

The original neck pickup had tons more character, and I just don’t think birds look right on a Vela. PRS took away a big part of its “cool factor” IMHO. Plus now everything they make has birds, so if you don’t like bird inlays you’re kinda screwed now.
I have a 2014 Vela with the original D style neck pickup and it’s one of my favourite guitars in my collection.

However, I’m intrigued by the narrowfield in the neck position. I find the hum cancelling factor of it is quite appealing and this change alone is making me seriously consider getting another one, perhaps of the satin semi hollow variety to make it as different from my original vela as possible.

Also I’m a huge fan of the birds - glad they are back!

I came across somebody who did a push-pull mod so that you can do individual splits a la 24-08. I have no idea if this is any good but I held onto the link in case I want to do something like that down the line.

Dialing back the volume on position 1 and 5 seem to be a good alternative without doing a mod or buying a new guitar, though.
I've seen that before too, but I'm leaning more toward the 2024 24-08 because of the different pickups. I've been jonesing for the new Core Cuwtom 24-08 with the TCI as opposed to 85/15 pickups...I've also been wanting another S2 594 Singlecut after having to part ways with mine a while back due to some unexpected additional costs on the remodel of my new house. With all of the S2's having Core electronics now, I'll be able to kill two birds with one stone. I'll get an S2 594 Singlecut and an S2 Custom 24-08. 🤣🤣

I have a 2014 Vela with the original D style neck pickup and it’s one of my favourite guitars in my collection.

However, I’m intrigued by the narrowfield in the neck position. I find the hum cancelling factor of it is quite appealing and this change alone is making me seriously consider getting another one, perhaps of the satin semi hollow variety to make it as different from my original vela as possible.

Also I’m a huge fan of the birds - glad they are back!
Narrowfields are absolutely fantastic in the neck and middle positions. What you would expect they do they do in spades: clear, punchy and articulate like a single coil, but with a little extra warmth and meat without the hum. Add in the America made Starla style pickup and you have made a killer guitar even better. IMO.

That's cool. I'm so torn by this change. My vela neck pickup is one of my favs but honestly the NF is very very intriguing to me. Sounds like a reason for two Velas?!?
I got that wrong. I got my wires crossed with another S2 model. They don't tap the narrowfield.

Narrowfields are absolutely fantastic in the neck and middle positions. What you would expect they do they do in spades: clear, punchy and articulate like a single coil, but with a little extra warmth and meat without the hum. Add in the America made Starla style pickup and you have made a killer guitar even better. IMO.

My dream guitar is a vela with a core studio kind of HSS pick-up layout with the 57/08 in bridge and narrow fields in the middle and neck (or can even be S2 studio layout with two d style pickups and a Starla in the bridge), along with a trem.

I feel like a guitar like that would sell like hot cakes especially from the s2 platform and price point

Back