Resonance

Jimmy

I've really been playing and listening to my guitars recently, and one of the things that really comes across when I play my PRSi is that they resonate so much. I love the way the sound is almost 3D in nature, and how it envelops you when you turn the volume up on an amp. I'm curious if others see it that way.

What really made it obvious to me was when I compared it to this little 5lb headless guitar I have (Ibanez Q52). It might be a "less wood, less good" kind of thing, but that guitar didn't have that same effect. It was very 2D sounding. I can imagine that some modern players are looking for exactly that though, perhaps an extremely tight sound for high gain scenarios. Anyways, I MUCH preferred the PRS sound.

I think PRS takes longer than most to dry out their woods allowing the resins to crystallize. The more water in a guitar the less resonance you get. I definitely notice my PRS guitars resonate more than most others. The type of wood can also have a large effect. My RW neck PRS literally vibrates in my hand like it’s alive.

I have guitars from other brands that resonate like my PRS guitars do. It is really about the quality of the materials and the workmanship that goes into them. I am not sure how many of them check the resonate frequencies of the necks and bodies to get the best match of the two of if they have a way to dry the wood in a manner that gives them the results they want when they use a good quality of wood. I have single and double cut guitars that resonate well. I don't claim to know enough to be able to build one myself that would come out this way but I know what they feel like when I play them. :)

Back