Replacing PRS coil-split resistor with a pot in McCarty 594 SE

L.A.Cornish

Has anyone replaced the PRS coil-split resistors with pots in the McCarty 594 SE?
I would like to have more control over the value of the coil-split resistance by reusing the existing tone pots to replace the fixed-value resistors used for each of the stock pickups in the factory setup. Of course, I will give up the current treble roll-off tone control by doing this, but I will gain more control of the amount of coil-splitting for each pickup, which I believe could be more useful for me.

Thanks

I have not.

But look up spin-a-split.

Maybe on the Gearpage or the Seymour Duncan Forum and see if you can read up on it.

What resistors are in yours?

Mine has 1.1K for the neck and 2.2K for the bridge.

Same as the DGT but I installed the partial coil tap myself after researching the modification.

I love the sound I'm getting from the "split" John Suhr humbuckers in my '00 CE22.

The bridge pickup when "split" still has some real bark and snarl to it...more so than the bridge pickups in my Strats and Silver Sky guitars.

I would assume I have the 2.2K resistor to thank for that!

Might try it on the neck pickup which currently has a 1.1K.

Last edited:
You can easily replace the resistors for ones that more satisfy what you're looking for. I wanted a chunkier tone on my Core Hollowbody II, so I went with 3k ohm in the neck and a 4.7k ohm in the bridge. This allows the split coil to have a tone that is a little stronger while still giving you the split coil sound.

Back