Random. No more or less

When I meditate I just focusing on breathing. I do guided meditations as well. I took me awhile to get into it but once you do it’s just a great way to relieve stress and just focus on one thing and that is your breathing. If my mind slips in mid meditation I quickly get back on task.

I also am doing some research on Buddhism. I am trying anything and everything to get my mind out of the rabbit hole that I am currently in.

JennerCosellSimpson.png

I also am doing some research on Buddhism. I am trying anything and everything to get my mind out of the rabbit hole that I am currently in.

If you want to go back to the source, Buddhism came out of Taoism. Taoism is what I have been studying/practicing for a number of years now.

Thank you I will look into it as I am very interested in becoming knowledgeable about these two topics. My oldest brother is a practing Buddhist.

Who knew. Omg this is just crazy. I am just thinking of all the back history to these two ppl.
Did any of you watch the Ford Bronco when it was being chased by the police? I remember just being riveted to the tv and watching. Insane!

Have a great and beautiful day everyone.

I have often thought about mediation. I haven't figured out how to get past it feeling silly. My mind hasn't figured out how to take it seriously. I found some guided meditations on Spotify. I haven't found one that has worked yet. I feel like I could benefit from finding a way to get my brain to disconnect from though at times. I am always on in my head. I really hate it when I wake up at night and my brain kicks into rapid thought about all sorts of stuff then I have a hard time getting back to sleep. I thought I had it worked out. I had a process I was putting my mind through that was working. I shared that with my wife and it stopped working right after that.
It's definitely a learned process. But I have been doing it since my mid teens so I am very in tune with my inner self when I meditate. It's something I can take anywhere with me and requires no gear, or packing extra clothes, just me. My favorite times are when I am vacationing in the tropics and can rise early in the morning and just go kneel in formal seiza on the beach and let my mind take me wherever it cares to lead me. Of course a gently warming sunrise, the waves and a tropical breeze tends to add to the moment too. But it can be done anywhere, in any position that is comfortable for the practitioner, that is highly personal or dependent on the system/ritual you may follow. It's relaxing and invigorating at the same time. Perfect way to start or end the day IMO.

I would even meditate on my breaks at work. Our lunchroom was the perfect place to do this. It was a refresher. I love meditating at night just before sleep. I will meditate anywhere from 10-30 minutes given on how I feel. It’s just a really nice transition to end your day peacefully without a racing mind.

Meditation is hella powerful IMO! Here is my story ;~))

In 2006, I moved to a new location. When I did so I decided to try and clean myself up a bit, so I went vegan (for intended one year), started a daily exercise program (which I stuck to for that same year), started focusing on my music, cut news out of my life, gave up drinking and smoking (once again for an intended year) and decided for the first time in my life to try a little meditation! What could go wrong, right? As a result of such activity, I got down to my high school weight (180, started at 230), made some music and felt way better physically and mentally. The one thing that did not last that full year was meditation.

My "method" of meditation was developed by me reading dozens of articles on what people define as meditation and what the common techniques and practices are. I took that info and developed what I thought were the best components of all worlds. There was no sacred phrase or chant, just me trying to clear my mind of all thoughts and give my mind a chance to rest (like Bob Dylan once quipped "I need a dump truck baby to, unload my head"). I started at 5 minutes and had worked my way up to ~30 minute routines over the course of the first 6 months.

And then it happened, the most hallucinogenic transformative other worldly frightening powerful feeling I ever had in my life (and I have taken a LOT of hallucinogenic drugs in what Terrence McKenna would label heroic doses). It is like something grabbed my soul, my mind, my whole being and thrust me into deep space. I could see myself floating through the stars in a fetal position (still a baby). I literally felt like I was touching the "force" of the universe. I am literally getting chills typing this as I do every time I tell the story. Anyway, it scared the F out of me. I stopped my routine and paced about the house for about an hour trying to figure out what had just happened (I was living alone at that time), what it meant, etc. I did not immediately reach a conclusion on these queries, but I was able to calm down and re-enter this very limited world we live in.

I have not meditated since. I feel blessed to have reached such a place with a limited time in the world of meditation, but it was simply too much for me. I was not ready to go further and have not been ready since. I have thought about getting back into it, but it literally scares me. And that fear ties in with what I came to believe as the message or my interpretation of that event. I believe that I was being told that in the universe, I am still just a newborn soul. I also believe that said infancy is in part of my own doing by NOT taking actions I should have taken my entire life (including but not limited to pursuing my musical passions). I sometimes wish I would have dived deeper, I may be in a better place in so many ways, but I did not.

All said, I am not trying to discourage anyone from meditating. As my opening statement says in this post, it is powerful. And it can be exactly what many people need. I would compare many religions to forms of meditation which many people need in their lives. I would also note that many people will try very hard to gain something from their meditation and will reach very little because they are not able to let go of this world, which is more or less what I am guilty of for running away from that path. I would recommend that everyone try it at some point in their lives and that means for at least a month or so to try and get your foot in the door ;~))

Lola, I hope your journey helps you find some peace in your currently hectic life! I know you need that ;~))

In 2006, I moved to a new location. When I did so I decided to try and clean myself up a bit, so I went vegan (for intended one year), started a daily exercise program (which I stuck to for that same year), started focusing on my music, cut news out of my life, gave up drinking and smoking (once again for an intended year) and decided for the first time in my life to try a little meditation! What could go wrong, right? As a result of such activity, I got down to my high school weight (180, started at 230), made some music and felt way better physically and mentally. The one thing that did not last that full year was meditation.

My "method" of meditation was developed by me reading dozens of articles on what people define as meditation and what the common techniques and practices are. I took that info and developed what I thought were the best components of all worlds. There was no sacred phrase or chant, just me trying to clear my mind of all thoughts and give my mind a chance to rest (like Bob Dylan once quipped "I need a dump truck baby to, unload my head"). I started at 5 minutes and had worked my way up to ~30 minute routines over the course of the first 6 months.

And then it happened, the most hallucinogenic transformative other worldly frightening powerful feeling I ever had in my life (and I have taken a LOT of hallucinogenic drugs in what Terrence McKenna would label heroic doses). It is like something grabbed my soul, my mind, my whole being and thrust me into deep space. I could see myself floating through the stars in a fetal position (still a baby). I literally felt like I was touching the "force" of the universe. I am literally getting chills typing this as I do every time I tell the story. Anyway, it scared the F out of me. I stopped my routine and paced about the house for about an hour trying to figure out what had just happened (I was living alone at that time), what it meant, etc. I did not immediately reach a conclusion on these queries, but I was able to calm down and re-enter this very limited world we live in.

I have not meditated since. I feel blessed to have reached such a place with a limited time in the world of meditation, but it was simply too much for me. I was not ready to go further and have not been ready since. I have thought about getting back into it, but it literally scares me. And that fear ties in with what I came to believe as the message or my interpretation of that event. I believe that I was being told that in the universe, I am still just a newborn soul. I also believe that said infancy is in part of my own doing by NOT taking actions I should have taken my entire life (including but not limited to pursuing my musical passions). I sometimes wish I would have dived deeper, I may be in a better place in so many ways, but I did not.

All said, I am not trying to discourage anyone from meditating. As my opening statement says in this post, it is powerful. And it can be exactly what many people need. I would compare many religions to forms of meditation which many people need in their lives. I would also note that many people will try very hard to gain something from their meditation and will reach very little because they are not able to let go of this world, which is more or less what I am guilty of for running away from that path. I would recommend that everyone try it at some point in their lives and that means for at least a month or so to try and get your foot in the door ;~))

Lola, I hope your journey helps you find some peace in your currently hectic life! I know you need that ;~))

Wow. I've read stories like that. I have never had an out-of-body experience from meditation, and I'm not sure what I would think of it if I ever did. Thanks for telling your story.

@Moondog Wily I can't say I've ever hit that level of transcendental existence, but I have been somewhere outside my standard physical being/self more than once. It was what I would consider a tad ethereal to say the least. Wasn't frightening though. I never experimented with hallucenogens ever, but did have some pretty outrageous highs from prescribed opiates and their derivatives in hospital situations. 😂 Pot never failed to give me a serious case of the munchies back in the day. If I did that now I'd probably weigh over #300...😱

@Moondog Wily I can't say I've ever hit that level of transcendental existence, but I have been somewhere outside my standard physical being/self more than once. It was what I would consider a tad ethereal to say the least. Wasn't frightening though. I never experimented with hallucenogens ever, but did have some pretty outrageous highs from prescribed opiates and their derivatives in hospital situations. 😂 Pot never failed to give me a serious case of the munchies back in the day. If I did that now I'd probably weigh over #300...😱
I honestly believe everyone should have a hallucinogenic experience in their life (though it needs to be right place, right time and with the right people). They call it "tripping" because you actually leave this world and are looking at our world from a different space with all senses =>11. It really is like traveling because when you come back from that trip, you have a whole new perspective on reality/life/soul/etc. IMO. That meditation trip though was more than I was willing to follow at that time, but I think about it a lot when I am in contemplative states. I do hope I try and make it back to that place one day, I do want to see what happens next. I have no idea if I would ever be able to get that far again, but I will someday try (at least that is the plan) if I can find a way to open my existence to that experience ;~)) At the moment, I guess I am just too scared to want to see things that I may not want to have the knowledge of (ignorance is bliss, right?).

@Moondog Wily the take away for me is to try and calm myself right down before I sleep. I am having and have always had great difficulties sleeping. I am a chronic insomniac. Things get very dicey. I feel physically ill. One time I had to go to the hospital cuz I had been up for over 3 days. I was starting to see things that really bothered me and frightened me severely. That I couldn’t meditate through. There was no way in hell that that was going to happen. Unless I am fully medicated via sleeping pill or partake in an edible I just don’t sleep solidly. Vaping keeps me wide awake. I stopped. Maybe later.

Taking about hallucinogens I have done them back in my younger days but recently dabbled in magic mushrooms. I had a blast. All I experienced was a calming in my being. I did see colours. I had a very relaxing and fun trip. One time we all dropped acid back in the day. The northern lights managed to reach Toronto. We lied on the grass for hours during a hot summer night while watching this spectacular light show. It was incredible. I will never forget that moment. That was an amazing trip. I have never had a bad experience with any psychedelics. But there is always a first time. I have had panic attacks if I smoked a joint. I never do that anymore because that could lead to some chaotic nightmare for me. Edibles or vaping never did that to me once. Not once did I experience anything religious or whatever you want to call it fir lack of better words.

I joined our public library and am just enraptured with the study of the brain. That’s basically what I research every free minute I get. I am so enamoured by what the brain is capable of. Just fascinating. This just blows my mind and I am learning an educating myself which is something I love to do.

My youngest son recently had a severe really bad trip on mushrooms. He has done them before but this time was just too much for him to handle. He quit the very next day. No more for him. His trip scared the crap out of him. There are however a lot of variables to consider when imbibing in psychedelics.

I am trying to get me to a healthy state again. In the last two years my weight has gone from 130 to 107 pounds because of the toxic environment at my work. I am just trying to feel mentally and physically better. I feel so horrible right atm. Just feeling this side of weak and exhausted. Work toxcity impacted me so severely. Taking baby steps. I have been in bed for the last 5 days because for now that’s all I can do. I did manage to get some grocery shopping in but that depleted whatever physical and mental stores I had left in me. I went right back to bed. Everything is just too much for me right now. Going to try and walk the dogs around the block tomorrow. Get some fresh air.

@Moondog Wily thx for sharing your story. We have more in common then what I realized.

Sorry to those that are reading this. It’s a bit disjointed but so am I right now.

Last edited:
Stranger in a Strange Land

just came back from a business visit to China (signing agreements with a bunch of universities). What a wonderful / weird / welcoming country.

I have to admit I had several preconceived ideas or cliches about what China should be like, but they have proved to be wrong in most cases. I strongly admire how proud they are about their country, how incredibly hard working they are and how they do everything on their hands to make you feel at home. It's easy to feel in an alien world (almost nobody speaks English, no western mobile app works there unless you come prepared with a good VPN, your VISA or Master cards are basically useless and their way of doing things can be really strange), but at the same time hospitality is part of their culture and they profoundly enjoy being visited by foreigners.

And now, after a 17 hours trip (including a stop in Amsterdam), I intend to sleep for 24 hours...😅

PXL-20240415-083731856.jpg

PXL-20240419-123923515.jpg

PXL-20240414-093359925.jpg

PXL-20240414-094808607.jpg

PXL-20240419-143227236.jpg

Last edited:
@Moondog Wily the take away for me is to try and calm myself right down before I sleep. I am having and have always had great difficulties sleeping. I am a chronic insomniac. Things get very dicey. I feel physically ill. One time I had to go to the hospital cuz I had been up for over 3 days. I was starting to see things that really bothered me and frightened me severely. That I couldn’t meditate through. There was no way in hell that that was going to happen. Unless I am fully medicated via sleeping pill or partake in an edible I just don’t sleep solidly. Vaping keeps me wide awake. I stopped. Maybe later.

Taking about hallucinogens I have done them back in my younger days but recently dabbled in magic mushrooms. I had a blast. All I experienced was a calming in my being. I did see colours. I had a very relaxing and fun trip. One time we all dropped acid back in the day. The northern lights managed to reach Toronto. We lied on the grass for hours during a hot summer night while watching this spectacular light show. It was incredible. I will never forget that moment. That was an amazing trip. I have never had a bad experience with any psychedelics. But there is always a first time. I have had panic attacks if I smoked a joint. I never do that anymore because that could lead to some chaotic nightmare for me. Edibles or vaping never did that to me once. Not once did I experience anything religious or whatever you want to call it fir lack of better words.

I joined our public library and am just enraptured with the study of the brain. That’s basically what I research every free minute I get. I am so enamoured by what the brain is capable of. Just fascinating. This just blows my mind and I am learning an educating myself which is something I love to do.

My youngest son recently had a severe really bad trip on mushrooms. He has done them before but this time was just too much for him to handle. He quit the very next day. No more for him. His trip scared the crap out of him. There are however a lot of variables to consider when imbibing in psychedelics.

I am trying to get me to a healthy state again. In the last two years my weight has gone from 130 to 107 pounds because of the toxic environment at my work. I am just trying to feel mentally and physically better. I feel so horrible right atm. Just feeling this side of weak and exhausted. Work toxcity impacted me so severely. Taking baby steps. I have been in bed for the last 5 days because for now that’s all I can do. I did manage to get some grocery shopping in but that depleted whatever physical and mental stores I had left in me. I went right back to bed. Everything is just too much for me right now. Going to try and walk the dogs around the block tomorrow. Get some fresh air.

@Moondog Wily thx for sharing your story. We have more in common then what I realized.

Sorry to those that are reading this. It’s a bit disjointed but so am I right now.
Wish I could help Miss Lola! All I can say is, do what feels right for you (even if that means staying in bed as you have been)!! My heart is with you!!!

just came back from a business visit to China (signing agreements with a bunch of universities). What a wonderful / weird / welcoming country.

I have to admit I had several preconceived ideas or cliches about what China should be like, but they have proved to be wrong in most cases. I strongly admire how proud they are about their country, how incredibly hard working they are and how they do everything on their hands to make you feel at home. It's easy to feel in an alien world (almost nobody speaks English, no western mobile app works there unless you come prepared with a good VPN, your VISA or Master cards are basically useless and their way of doing things can be really strange), but at the same time hospitality is part of their culture and they profoundly enjoy being visited by foreigners.

And now, after a 17 hours trip (including a stop in Amsterdam), I intend to sleep for 24 hours...😅

Look like you got it right there! I would not have expected to see large mugs of beer almost anywhere in China, but I don't know jack about that country!! Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing the pix!!!

Great share brother. Looks like an amazing trip.

I am not sure how I would handle an experience like that. Part of me thinks I would like it. I would like to make a connection with something outside of my own head like that. The hardest part for me would be learning how to meditate correctly and getting past it feeling silly. I feel like I am so far away from being able to get there. My brain is always on and it is hard to turn it off. I don't have trouble sleeping for the most part. I just don't know that I know how to relax anymore.

I am wandering if any of you truly believe the moon landing happened with Buzz Aldren and Neil Armstrong? And if not, why?

Just a discussion and nothing more!

Look like you got it right there! I would not have expected to see large mugs of beer almost anywhere in China, but I don't know jack about that country!! Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing the pix!!!
To be honest the restaurant ran out of beers after the second or third round, so we had to bring them from some other place. You can easily find beers, even some good mugs, although it's not their favorite drink... They prefer their liquors...which can be really hard for the non initiated 🥴😅

Back