Random. No more or less

This list could go on & on... just wondering when YOU would consider an band not "THE band" anymore? For better or worse?
Great post that should probably be it's own thread. This is a major, ongoing issue for me. The last two bands I've seen live were Yes and Kansas. Yes, had only Steve Howe, and only one other recognizable name... Kansas had only Rich and Phil. Shows were GREAT though... But there are lots of great bands from the past coming through the Nati this year and I kind of review each to see who is actually in the band. If it's not too expensive, or if it's one of my favorites, I'll go. But I'm not paying big bucks for 1 or 2 original members.

Last edited:
Help please. Are these down or alternate picking or could you do either or at@1:18 and throughout the rest of this song?

Here's how I approach these type things. All down strokes is much more dramatic/showy if you're doing it live. If you can do it consistently and with good timing, that's how I'd do it. That's "probably" how the original was done (it's been way to long since I saw the live video to remember). But if it's a little too quick to pull off, alternate is OK. Just remember that when applying this to other chugged chords/notes, that the more notes there are in the chugged chord, the more obvious it becomes if you alternate pick something that was originally done with all down strokes, simply because on all down strokes, the dominant note because the first (lowest) string note which is the root note. If you 2 or 3 note barre it, it's still probably OK, but becomes more noticeable once you add that third note (octave) and any notes you add beyond 3 it becomes very noticeable if you alternate pick a chord that was originally all down strokes. A non-guitar player may not notice it, but a guitar player always will.

P.S. and if you want to have the chugged chord "open up" as it progresses, using all down strokes allows you to start chugging on the first note but add the second and third note as you progress through the riff each time you do it, which "builds" the riff, vs. just chugging the low note by itself. You can do this several ways but one is to chug all three notes each time, but at first only the first note is truly fretted while the other two are more muted, then add more finger pressure to notes 2 and 3 as you progress the riff.

Or, you can simple palm mute mildly at the beginning and release the palm as you progress, but palm muting is probably harder while doing all downstrokes so I prefer the first method.

Here's how I approach these type things. All down strokes is much more dramatic/showy if you're doing it live. If you can do it consistently and with good timing, that's how I'd do it. That's "probably" how the original was done (it's been way to long since I saw the live video to remember). But if it's a little too quick to pull off, alternate is OK. Just remember that when applying this to other chugged chords/notes, that the more notes there are in the chugged chord, the more obvious it becomes if you alternate pick something that was originally done with all down strokes, simply because on all down strokes, the dominant note because the first (lowest) string note which is the root note. If you 2 or 3 note barre it, it's still probably OK, but becomes more noticeable once you add that third note (octave) and any notes you add beyond 3 it becomes very noticeable if you alternate pick a chord that was originally all down strokes. A non-guitar player may not notice it, but a guitar player always will.
@DreamTheaterRules I can’t thank you enough for your undying support!!❤️ You are such a sweetheart with boundless knowledge that you are always kind enough to share with ppl.

He died almost 3 years ago
I never liked the Stones to begin with. I never kept up with their history. Sorry I am out of the loop. Should of done my due diligence before I spoke. Excuse my ignorance please.

I never liked the Stones to begin with. I never kept up with their history. Sorry I am out of the loop. Should of done my due diligence before I spoke. Excuse my ignorance please.
No apologies necessary amongst friends.
I was never much of a fan of the Stones either...
IMO, they've been mailing it in the last 30 years anyway. Bill knew when to call it quits.

I wasn't a huge Stones fan back when they were "really big". More like tolerated their music because lots of people played it and they got a ton of airtime. Not without good cause of course, they are one of the most iconic bands in the history of rock music. But I have to admit, they grew on me as I got older, just as some other groups did with the passage of time. Just took me a longer while to appreciate what they really had going I guess. I have a huge respect for Keith Richards and his playing now, which I never had 30 years ago. Aside from the painfully drawn out attempt to showcase Lady Gaga (I will never be a fan...not EVER!), their Hackneyed Diamonds album is quite a work IMO. I love jamming to "Angry", it's a blast!

I just never quite liked Mick’s holier then thou attitude. I could tolerate EVH’s prima donna attitude more so because he was and still is my guitar hero! Whatever floats your boat.

I wasn't a huge Stones fan back when they were "really big". More like tolerated their music because lots of people played it and they got a ton of airtime. Not without good cause of course, they are one of the most iconic bands in the history of rock music. But I have to admit, they grew on me as I got older, just as some other groups did with the passage of time. Just took me a longer while to appreciate what they really had going I guess. I have a huge respect for Keith Richards and his playing now, which I never had 30 years ago. Aside from the painfully drawn out attempt to showcase Lady Gaga (I will never be a fan...not EVER!), their Hackneyed Diamonds album is quite a work IMO. I love jamming to "Angry", it's a blast!
I was a semi-fan up to Bridges To Babylon; "Anyone Seen My Baby" is still a track I'll throw on every now and then for nostalgia's sake.
'Some Girls' is probably my favorite.
They were very hit and miss for me throughout their career.
I will not deny their contribution to rock music.

Back