Random. No more or less

Thanks for all the well wishes folks, very much appreciated!🙏

Lola, I didn't know rollerdromes were still a thing. I haven't had a pair of roller skates on in well over 40 years!😄

Having spent well over half my life studying the martial arts, I have been involved with Zen and various other Eastern philosophies for a long time. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I do meditate daily and seek internal spiritualism on various levels. Much of our particular martial system (my main practice of Shorinjiryu karate) has a philosophical foundation in Taoism and Zen. How deep each practitioner of our particular school goes is a very personal thing, and not all delve as deeply into it as I do, not even my missus who is actually our head instructor in our local dojo (I'm #2). Even some (most?) of my seniors down east don't follow that path the way I do, except maybe for our Chief Instructor/Shinan. I find the mental discipline helps me focus on just about everything in daily life, not just the combative arts. But it is very easy to see where the warrior class of hundreds of years past would derive "mushin" (mind of no mind) from such study. I have only "felt" and actually lived that serene calm in a few instances whether it is in competition or active demonstration. But it is very similar to finding that "groove" or "zone" when playing guitar and being totally in the moment. And it is very real. Not like a movie where some character becomes superhuman or the like, but it is a higher consciousness and state of being. In a word, "nirvana".

The opposite of multitasking is another great way of putting it! It is about focus on the task at hand.
All I have done for the last 14 years with this company I work for is multitask a million things at once. I really don’t know how to function any other way. The more things you can handle at my job the happier HO is. I need a serious adjustment. I am a serious multitasker. The busier I am the happier I am. I know it’s a coping mechanism. It keeps all the riff raff in my brain at bay.

Last edited:
All I have done for the last 14 years with this company I work for is multitask a million things at once. I really don’t know how to function any other way. The more things you can handle at my job the happier HO is. I need a serious adjustment. I am a serious multitasker. The busier I am the happier I am. I know it’s a coping mechanism. It keeps all the riff raff in my brain at bay.
Some companies here in the US are starting to take notice of some studies that have been coming out more recently that show that multitasking isn't really an effective use of time. It doesn't product the higher quality results that getting to focus on something until it is done produces. It would be great if this actually catches on and drives a change in our work lives. The place I work at is what yours sounds like. The more balls we can keep in the air at the same time the happier the company is. The problem is that sometimes everything needs attention at once and you end up putting in a ton of hours to keep everything running smooth. There goes the work/life balance.

@JasonE I really agree with you. I don’t have an off switch because of this f*ckng company. I ended up in 2022 taking a 4 month sick leave because my health was at great risk. I am just a number to this company and nothing more. Corporate are just a greedy bunch of POS. My days are numbered with company. I have gone above and beyond. Freedom is just around the corner! :)

@JasonE I really agree with you. I don’t have an off switch because of this f*ckng company. I ended up in 2022 taking a 4 month sick leave because my health was at great risk. I am just a number to this company and nothing more. Corporate are just a greedy bunch of POS. My days are numbered with company. I have gone above and beyond. Freedom is just around the corner! :)
I was having a discussion with my wife about this last night. I told her that I have not been excited about what I do at the company I work at now for a long time. I don't see anything that would excite me to do at this company to strive for. It has become a transactional situation for me. I am literally putting in my time and doing what is asked of me just for the money they pay me. I am not really going above and beyond like I typically to because it doesn't pay me more money and the work doesn't excite me to the point of wanting to do more. Once I changed my mind on what this job situation really was, I started sleeping better at night. My next job is going to be doing work that excites me and lets me learn some new things.

See, my work ethic will not allow this. When I do something(feelings aside) I always go above and beyond. That is the only good thing my father taught me. I have the old school work ethic. And it just never leaves my mindset! It’s how I think. Hence that’s one of the biggest reasons my company love me. A bunch of blithering narcissists. And my boss smokes. We get 1/2 hr lunch. Her smoke breaks = 2 hours but she never takes a break. Go figure.

Last edited:
I found a roller skating event taking place April 5th 7-10 pm. Have to get a helmet because of my concussion back in 2011.

Get out there and experience something you’ve never done before or something you used to do and love ❤️

5 favourite quotes from my idol Dorian Yates.My favourite old school body builders.
Keep in mind that you can apply principles about just to anything.

Last edited:
See, my work ethic will not allow this. When I do something(feelings aside) I always go above and beyond. That is the only good thing my father taught me. I have the old school work ethic. And it just never leaves my mindset! It’s how I think. Hence that’s one of the biggest reasons my company love me. A bunch of blithering narcissists. And my boss smokes. We get 1/2 hr lunch. Her smoke breaks = 2 hours but she never takes a break. Go figure.
Don't get me wrong here. I have a good work ethic too. I feel that anything worth doing is worth doing at my best level. I make sure everything I do is done the best I can do it. What I am saying is that I may not tackle something that isn't part of the project because I spotted it and it could use attention. Normally I would just tackle that as part of what I was doing. I also will not stay up and work all night to get something done faster anymore. I have found that they start to expect that you will always to that once you have done it a number of times and then start giving you projects that they have let turn into dumpster fires and won't alter the timeline to give you the proper time to do it right. I always deliver quality work results.

Every spring our dojo has a small in-house tournament. We did the kata/forms competition Monday evening, and the shiai/sparring is tonight. While COVID depleted our membership numbers significantly, we are slowly building back up. This may marks 30 years we've been teaching in the same location in town.

Don't get me wrong here. I have a good work ethic too. I feel that anything worth doing is worth doing at my best level. I make sure everything I do is done the best I can do it. What I am saying is that I may not tackle something that isn't part of the project because I spotted it and it could use attention. Normally I would just tackle that as part of what I was doing. I also will not stay up and work all night to get something done faster anymore. I have found that they start to expect that you will always to that once you have done it a number of times and then start giving you projects that they have let turn into dumpster fires and won't alter the timeline to give you the proper time to do it right. I always deliver quality work results.
I wasn’t inferring anything in regards to your work ethic. We are two peas in a pod. You sound almost like me. But I refuse to bring work home with me anymore and they gave me attitude about it. I just held my ground.. Like I said this company has bled me dry. But feelings aside I will always give you 150%. I just have to.

I wasn’t inferring anything in regards to your work ethic. We are two peas in a pod. You sound almost like me. But I refuse to bring work home with me anymore and they gave me attitude about it. I just held my ground.. Like I said this company has bled me dry. But feelings aside I will always give you 150%. I just have to.
I think many of us here share your work ethic Lola. I never worked less hard or less efficiently for any employer than I did for myself in my own business. I was used to working incredibly long hours often without meals or breaks of any kind. I did what I had to to keep the place running the way I wanted it to. My father instilled that into me at a very young age. That carried over to everything else I took on for work and occupations.
I did however, get paid far less for it... on the plus side I paid far less income tax.🤣

@Daryl Jones both my parents instilled my work ethic in me. I saw my father with 3 jobs to support his family of 8. He kept his head down and just plowed through anything that would generate money. A great provider but a horrible father figure.

All these youngsters today have no motivation. They are beyond lazy. I have a few coworkers like this but guess who has to pick up the slack!!
They want a paycheque but their not willing to toil and sweat for it!

Lola, I won't say "all" of them but it is a very prevalent attitude in today's workplace. But it goes deeper than just the youngest ones. I know 40 year olds that are just as bad or worse than any of them. I shudder to think what is taking over from our departure. There's a political term/description for it but I won't go there.

Hey does anyone have any info and prices on realistically priced certified skating helmets? I need one for roller skating. I want it to be aerodynamically shaped.
I have to protect the gray matter after my concussion. I am so excited to be able to still want to do this and try it. And can I use my helmet for bike riding as well. I can’t really afford both.

I don’t start work until a bit later. Things are tough and chaotic atm. I sat in bed for two hours listening to all my favourite artists . It changed my whole mindset. The positivity of music is so incredible. I am back from the edge. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed.

Hey does anyone have any info and prices on realistically priced certified skating helmets? I need one for roller skating. I want it to be aerodynamically shaped.
I have to protect the gray matter after my concussion. I am so excited to be able to still want to do this and try it. And can I use my helmet for bike riding as well. I can’t really afford both.
I'm not sure about certification levels on bicycle helmets and roller requirements. But if it says DOT certified on it anywhere it should be fine. But just as with motorcycle lids, once they have sustained a direct blow or suffered ground contact, any certification it once had is gone. They do their job, but only once.

Back