PRS Wiring Mods Resource Thread

I did see where you mentioned putting a resistor in the treble bleed circuit. If you are looking to do that the typical way, all that is going to do is affect the taper of the pot. It won't affect at what frequency the treble passes through the circuit. Are you able to see any markings on the capacitor? It wouldn't be common for someone to change that capacitor out in a guitar that new but it is not impossible. Some of my PRS guitars have the treble bleed cap and others do not. I added it to a couple of mine that didn't have it. The value of cap that PRS uses gives a subtle but noticeable bleed.
I'm going to try the Kinman version and put it in series. Supposed to address the taper issue.

That's if Fralin and Duncan know anything about pickups.

Hi Guys, I have a Standard 24 from 2005 with the 3 way switch and push/pull tone control. This gives me coil "splits".
Is there a way to get the 5 way rotary sounds without installing a rotary? I particularly want the "strat and tele" sounds of positions 2 and 4. Can it be done? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Guys, I have a Standard 24 from 2005 with the 3 way switch and push/pull tone control. This gives me coil "splits".
Is there a way to get the 5 way rotary sounds without installing a rotary? I particularly want the "strat and tele" sounds of positions 2 and 4. Can it be done? Many thanks in advance.

Not for me, it's not! No one has answered my question :-(

You could probably put a Free-Way switch in it and wire it up to give the same options as the 5 way rotary. Google Free-Way Toggle. You will find them.

You could probably put a Free-Way switch in it and wire it up to give the same options as the 5 way rotary. Google Free-Way Toggle. You will find them.
Thanks JasonE. Much appreciated. Would be good to know if there is a wiring diagram for it. And if anyone has used one on a PRS, i.e. does it fit the cavity ok or does it need surgery?

Thanks JasonE. Much appreciated. Would be good to know if there is a wiring diagram for it. And if anyone has used one on a PRS, i.e. does it fit the cavity ok or does it need surgery?
I have been fairly deep into PRS guitars since early 2006. I have never seen this done so I doubt there is any sort of wiring diagram for it.

I have been fairly deep into PRS guitars since early 2006. I have never seen this done so I doubt there is any sort of wiring diagram for it.
Thanks. Seems odd considering all the diagrams early in this thread. I've seen lots of people swapping between the toggle/pushpull to 5 way and the other way round (I had it done once myself) so I find it strange that it's not more popular to go for the Freeway.

Thanks. Seems odd considering all the diagrams early in this thread. I've seen lots of people swapping between the toggle/pushpull to 5 way and the other way round (I had it done once myself) so I find it strange that it's not more popular to go for the Freeway.
I am not sure how long that Freeway switch has been on the market. I have only been aware of it for a short period of time. I am also not sure how many people know about it. You have to combine those two things with someone that has the skill to work out the wiring and solder it up. That takes it down to a relative low number of people that could draw up a wiring diagram for it.

I am not sure how long that Freeway switch has been on the market. I have only been aware of it for a short period of time. I am also not sure how many people know about it. You have to combine those two things with someone that has the skill to work out the wiring and solder it up. That takes it down to a relative low number of people that could draw up a wiring diagram for it.
You're right of course. It's just that there are a couple of contributors on here that seem to know about these things and was hoping to hear from them. I can solder and follow a drawing. I just don't know enough about the options and pitfalls of the taps, series/parallel etc.

You're right of course. It's just that there are a couple of contributors on here that seem to know about these things and was hoping to hear from them. I can solder and follow a drawing. I just don't know enough about the options and pitfalls of the taps, series/parallel etc.
I think I have only seen one or two people on here mention having them in their guitars. I don't know if any of them installed them or if they had a tech do it. Maybe they will chime in. If they don't, it may be worth while to start a thread specifically on that and use the name of it in the title.

Placeholder for my newer iteration of what I call the "John Beef" mod. Gotta go to a meeting.
3pu1kq.jpg

Hi Guys, I have 24/08 35Aniversary (2 mini toggles + 1 3way) - want to change out the Bridge pickup to Seymour Duncan JB HB - Not new to soldering but not sure about the colour wire differences - the 85/15 Has Red/Green/White/Black/Orange - SD JB is Red/Green/White/Black/Bare - read through quite alot of posts and there seems to be differing answers - some say SE 85/15 diff col etc - anyone tell me what colours correspond from the SD -> PRS, just want to do a simple swap (SD site doesnt have conv for PRS). Appreciate any help thanks in advance cheers

I have 85/15 TCI with same color scheme.

I can say that for the Bridge pickup Green & Orange (chassis) are ground. White is Hot and Black/Red are for the coil split.

So for SD Black is Hot Green is ground, bare too

Red/while for coil split

I have 85/15 TCI with same color scheme.

I can say that for the Bridge pickup Green & Orange (chassis) are ground. White is Hot and Black/Red are for the coil split.

So for SD Black is Hot Green is ground, bare too

Red/while for coil split
The Orange wire seems to be completely separate from the other 4 and goes to the Volume pot??

Question about the McCarty wiring. The older version don't has resistors on the tone pot, while the newest version has.
I was wondering if they give the split-coil sound more output? I'm in the process to mod mine to 50's wiring style, so if they make a difference
I will take a look at it too.

D1UzvFF.png

Back