PRS SE Models - Do They Have the Same “Essence” As Core Models?

Whud I miss....let's have a peek...*looks at thread history*...

o_O. goddam.

Nobody better every give me **** when I rant about Star Trek from now on.

I'll settle this simply with a math demonstration: Is an SE as good as a core out of the box? Nope. Can you get it there? Yup. It'll take time and money, and and we can quantify the value using the famous formula:

Tπ/mi= P(f) , where T is time, π is pie...like actual pie, m is money, i is the root of -1, which multiplied by m means money is imaginary, P is problem, f is for **** because, every problem has one.

Now we can see the amount of P is proportional to T over m, thus a larger problem requires more T and m. Pie is a constant. Just remember, if m=0, you will obliterate the universe.
Mmm, Pi!

It has been said that an SE can be upgraded to a Core. What would we need? Quality locking tuners, Fralin, Lollar,etc pickups, and???

It has been said that an SE can be upgraded to a Core. What would we need? Quality locking tuners, Fralin, Lollar,etc pickups, and???
Depends on the guitar. But, nitro finish would be one of the more difficult ones.

No making an SE HB into a core, though - totally different body construction.

We could refinish it in nitro-doable, solid back and top-not doable, why a smaller body? Personal preference?
Sorry, I edited my response, as I got threads mixed up. I didn't change it fast enough, though.
You're replying to a post that was about the SE Hollowbodies, which are laminate and larger than the Core version.

But, after posting, I realized this thread wasn't about the Hollowbodies.

Locking tuners, pickup upgrade (I prefer Bareknuckle), swap bridge saddles (if applicable). That'll get you most of the way. I also recommend replacing the synth bronze nut. I've always had issues with it.

It's really not worth going through the trouble of taking off the poly coat to replace it with nitro. The multipeice construction isn't something you can change, but it's irrelevant anyway. It's really just aesthetics.

The biggest thing you can do is a fret redress and recrown. The SE fretwire is different and softer to it's core counterpart, but nowhere near different enough where I would recommend ripping all of them out. A good fret level will do wonders. SE fretwork is generally quite good for the price range, but it can be spiffed up with some elbow work.

Just to be clear-I don't want to do all these changes, just having a lazy Saturday morning day dreaming about PRSs. :)
I have a PRS SE Hollowbody Standard. (First of many) btw.

Last edited:
Quite the thread. I'll just add this. None of my SE's can quite match the or the sound or feel of my 2001 rosewood necked Mcarty with the 57/08 pickups, but as far as the fretwork, the SE Paul's guitar and the SE SAS are as good or better than the McCarty. Fret ends more nicely rounded and edges rolled a tiny bit. Both from Core-tek of course. My two Korean SE's are no match for the two Indonesian guitars in that regard.

I'd say that the PRS SE range has the same 'essence' of a Core - essentially the same basic shape, same neck, same scale, same features etc - even the Pups are designed to be like their US counterparts - so much so, they use them in the S2 range as well. An S2 594 is considered a 'PRS' with the same Pups etc as a SE 594.

The only differences is what they choose to 'compromise' on to hit a Price Point.

Core is the Guitar with no compromise
Bolt-on - they 'compromise' on the neck construction and fitting (less work so less cost) and a thinner Maple top (less material)
S2 - they 'Compromise' with a similar neck construction and 'import' hardware as well as less work/hands on time required
SE - they 'Compromise' by reducing the labour/overheads costs by shifting construction overseas.

However, they are all 'PRS' guitars. Just like 'PRS' will design their 'own' Bridge that they will have made for them under Licence (no one else can make or sell PRS bridges - but they are NOT made in Maryland at the PRS factory). Its still a bespoke PRS bridge whether its made by or for PRS.

The 'essence' of a PRS is inherent in all. A Cu24 shares the same 'specs' regardless, same features, same scale, same neck carve, same bridge etc so they all have the same 'essential' things that define a PRS guitar. In a mix or from a distance, you couldn't tell the difference so they have the 'essence' - the rest is just preference and/or the compromises they had to make to bring the 'essence' of a Core PRS to those on a tighter budget - how else could they bring a Cu24 to the market for under $1k?

SE's are wonderful Student guitars that can be made into 100% professional instruments by upgrading the pickups and other parts.

The woodworking is first rate on the SE's I own, altho every few thousand guitars, a lemon or two seems to slip through. Never owned a bad or even disappointing SE myself.

The pickups are the weakest point, just as they have always been in with student guitars like Gibson's Melody Makers and Fender's Duo Sonics and MusicMasters. That's where corners have always been cut.

But most SE's are way better than those cheapie student Fenders and Gibsons of yesteryear.

I own three Core PRS guitars and eight SE's.

I'll put my SE's up against ANY guitar after I've finished hot rodding it.

Shoot...truth is i sold my Stripped 58 because IMO my hot rodded SE Bernie Marsdens kicked its butt.
What you do to your SE models is exactly what Epiphone is doing with their IBG models- better pickups, wiring, hardware, etc. Do they feel and play the same as a Gibson costing $2000 to $4000? No, but they are significantly better than previous models. I like some of the S2 models for the same reasons as well as the fact they are made in the same factory as the core models. But expecting an S2 to be as good as a core model when they cost half as much is not possible.

Last edited:
I feel pretty much the same as you. I’ve owned 4 SE models, and all of them became gifts to friends and family. That said, I wouldn’t give my friends or family something that I thought was crappy…but just like you, I just didn’t feel like they were up to the standards of PRSi to which I had grown accustomed.

I’ve owned 5 core models, and 3 of them are among my favorite guitars ever. I’ve owned at least 100 guitars in my time (I’ve got bad GAS), ranging from the 1920s to the 2020s, and my number 1 of all time is my 2011 CU22. It’s far from my most expensive guitar, but it’s not about the price to me.

As far as S2s are concerned, I’ve only played a handful of them at a Sam Ash maybe 8 years ago. I really didn’t like what I felt then, and I actually preferred their selection of SEs at that store. But that’s a very limited experience from a long time ago, so I am not qualified to make any judgements.
I have recently bought my first S2 series (Vela model) and it compares favorably to the four core models I have owned. I probably won’t buy another SE model, not that aren’t very good guitars. I would rather pay roughly another grand for an S2 than go to the trouble of rebuilding an SE and still have it come up short. As fare as core models go, I would probably look at other options when that kind of money is involved.

Fascinating question. I can only answer from personal experience, I have owned a couple of extremely high end guitars, one I just couldn't bond with, and nor could the guy I sold it to, and the other I sold without regret. May last purchase was a 2012 SE Santana with spalted maple top, I know that it is a veneer, but that does not bother me, I bonded with it immediately, I used it last night at a gig, and it is my absolute 'go to' guitar. I do not feel the need to change anything, although I did put some locking machine heads on it. I am not a Santana fan, I don't do any Santana covers, I don't want to sound like Santana (No offense) I don't care where this was made or what it says on the headstock, it suits me, I love its sound, weight, looks and playability, it just is 'right' for me. I will undoubtedly try a core Santana at some point, but for me, right now I love the feel of that SE in my hand. My expectations of owning a custom shop guitar were not met, it was not 'special', I think that Leo Fender once said something along the lines of "anyone, anywhere in the world can operate a CNC machine" Just my thoughts.
All of the points you made are what is leading me towards vintage guitar next.

Back