PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut or Double Cut?

PRS SE McCarty 594 Singlecut or Double Cut?

• 1) Singlecut.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 2) Double Cut.

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters
I prefer the single cut models. I’ve had a few “doubles” over the years. I find them to be much closer to a Les Paul than a DC is to a Strat. The SC models are (to me) like a very refined LP. I already have a couple of LPs’ so I don’t really feel the need for a SC.

Alan,

When you say:

"The DC looks like a Strat in the same way that a lot of companies' SCs look like Les Pauls. At a glance, yes, very similar at the very least, but when you look at it more closely, the differences become obvious. If you look more closely at a DC, the differences become more obvious. And if you pick one up, you never think "this is just like a Strat".",

Could you swap the words and say:

The SC looks like a Les Paul in the same way that a lot of companies' DC's look like Strats. At a glance, yes, very similar at the very least, but when you look at it more closely, the differences become obvious. If you look more closely at a SC, the differences become more obvious. And if you pick one up, you never think "this is just like a Les Paul"?

if you can swing the S2 Anniversary McCarty do so
even if it means you have to wait a little bit

I have 3 SE's and 1 S2 Anniversary Cu24
The differences are well worth the money especially when you are getting Core electronics and pickups

Oh and I vote SC
For me there is a lot to be said about the Classic SC look

Alan,

When you say:

"The DC looks like a Strat in the same way that a lot of companies' SCs look like Les Pauls. At a glance, yes, very similar at the very least, but when you look at it more closely, the differences become obvious. If you look more closely at a DC, the differences become more obvious. And if you pick one up, you never think "this is just like a Strat".",

Could you swap the words and say:

The SC looks like a Les Paul in the same way that a lot of companies' DC's look like Strats. At a glance, yes, very similar at the very least, but when you look at it more closely, the differences become obvious. If you look more closely at a SC, the differences become more obvious. And if you pick one up, you never think "this is just like a Les Paul"?

I don't think so. The SC feels (and looks, IMO) much closer to a Les Paul than the DC does to a Strat. The DC has more heft to it than a Strat, it doesn't hang like a Strat, and it doesn't feel like a Strat when I play it. I mostly played a Hondo II LP copy growing up, and my first really good guitar was a gold top LP. When I pull out my SC 594 (or really, any of my PRS SCs), it has a feeling of home to it. If I go from the LP to a SC, I feel some differences, but they're minor to me. If I go from a Strat to a DC, it's more like a different world.

I will reiterate the "play them" before you buy to tell which one you like better. Another thing I would add would be that the SC is going to be 1 to 2 lbs heavier than the DC's. I have a 8lb weight limit I impose on new guitar purchases because anything over that weight does not get played as much due to it becoming uncomfortable for me after about 2 hours. Some (including Mark Tremonti from what I understand) argue that the better tones are had from the heavier guitars, but that is subjective (as is, of course, what weight is comfortable to you). Anyway, something to keep in mind! I would also echo the idea of holding out for the new S2 line so you can get the US electronics package, but that is going to be another bump in the price as well compared to the classic S2's. Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your quest, we are all looking forward to the pictures once you get it in your hands ;~))

I will reiterate the "play them" before you buy to tell which one you like better. Another thing I would add would be that the SC is going to be 1 to 2 lbs heavier than the DC's. I have a 8lb weight limit I impose on new guitar purchases because anything over that weight does not get played as much due to it becoming uncomfortable for me after about 2 hours. Some (including Mark Tremonti from what I understand) argue that the better tones are had from the heavier guitars, but that is subjective (as is, of course, what weight is comfortable to you). Anyway, something to keep in mind! I would also echo the idea of holding out for the new S2 line so you can get the US electronics package, but that is going to be another bump in the price as well compared to the classic S2's. Welcome to the forum and best wishes on your quest, we are all looking forward to the pictures once you get it in your hands ;~))
Thanks for the reply!

The SC I'm looking at weighs 7 lbs 11 oz, and the DC weighs 6 lbs 15 oz.

As far as the S2, mint vs mint, all I've searched for seem to be a LOT more (almost double) than the SE McCarty 594's.

Thanks for the reply!

The SC I'm looking at weighs 7 lbs 11 oz, and the DC weighs 6 lbs 15 oz.

As far as the S2, mint vs mint, all I've searched for seem to be a LOT more (almost double) than the SE McCarty 594's.
Because the S2 is worth it!

Please forgive this question :)

Several of you have stated you prefer the Double Cut body because it looks like a PRS, whereas the Singlecut body looks like a Les Paul, and it's not a Les Paul.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but headstock notwithstanding, do you not think the Double Cut body looks like a Stratocaster, and it's not a Stratocaster?
We (generally speaking) used to call the double cut style of guitars that visually resembled the Fender models "superstrats". And there were many of them. The PRS headstock was more unique but lots of the copied versions had headstocks that were actually quite close to the Fender. But not close enough (?) to get in copyrite or legal issues. I would guess the pickup configurations were different enough (at least on my old one) that there was little or no doubt as to what it was. In my case, I didn't choose PRS guitars because they resembled a Strat, although I did love the look. It was the instant attraction to the detail in the appearance that caught my eye. Then it was the sound (mostly related to the player using it admittedly), but I had never seen any large/famous bandmember playing one that I recognized. Those were the days (20+ years ago) when I just liked what I heard and didn't pay much attention to what the guitar was.
And then a discussion on PRS guitars with that solo artist ensued that fateful day and some follow-up research led me down the proverbial rabbit hole...

You may find the DC a little more comfortable to play if you play up the dusty end.

I personally don’t like the position of the toggle switch on the DC but It’s far from a deal breaker if the guitar sounds and plays great.

Just try them in a shop rather than buying online if you can if you go the SE route.

Back