PRS SE EG owner looking for an upgrade

Noah Matthew

I started really playing guitar about 4 years ago and got myself a nice, made in korea, white prs se eg SSS hard tail for about $400. I wanted take a chance, invest a few bucks in a guitar, and see if this was something I would continue to do -- rock. :)

Indeed it is. After doing more research and watching multiple videos, I decided to swap out the stock pickups with lace sensors, red, silver and blue, which helped me capture so awesome tones overall (siamese dream smashing pumpkinesque). Last year I got a used 2016 les paul studio for that full humbucker sound with BB pro magnets. I love my guitars honestly and I play them both a good amount.

Now I've gotten to the point where I'd like to upgrade the PRS to a higher end model -- 2.5k being the tops of my budget and I'm not sure what to do. The PRS guitars I've seen online are indeed beautiful, but that's secondary to playability, tone, sustain and overall build quality. I'm a slow shopper and usually do a ton of research and waiting for the "right one" before pulling the trigger. I found it amazing that I was able to get a such a great guitar (my prs se eg) for the price I paid. Can you still feel that way when spending 2k on a guitar? Are there some hidden gems I should know about? So far, I've considered used hollowbody II's, 594 mccarty, the 305 and the silver sky.

I want something to take me to my grave and I'm 40 now. One thing I like about my current guitar is that it's light and never hurts my back playing alot standing up, it stays in tune and neck profile feels great to my average sized hands. I wish it felt like a higher end instrument - the plasticy poly finish is a downer for me and the frets aren't the best anymore. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. As far a music tastes I am a classic rock fan (LedZ, Jimi, Floyd) and also into 90s (Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Incubus, Radiohead)

Any thoughts are appreciated .. Thanks in advance!

The big problem is that there isn’t one prs that you should buy. Every single one has something unique and incredible about it. Usually a 24 fretter is considered the gateway drug. If you give us your state, one of us can suggest a music store near you to try out some guitars. There’s a Santana near me for sale for half price, for instance.

Ummmm, a $2500 PRS will blow your mind. Every time I buy another "Core" PRS I feel beyond satisfied. Shoot, even the S2 guitars are amazing....

In the used market you can get what you are looking for at or below your limit. CE's will run you $1100 - $1400. McCarty's will be about $1500ish. Cu24's will be in the $2000's. That is where I would start.

Which guitar are you looking to emulate?

EG or studio?

If you’re looking for Strat sounds then I don’t think you can go far wrong with the Silver Sky. There is now a video showing how to float the trem. That will give you all the Jimi/PF sounds you could want all day and night.

If you’re looking for JP sounds then you’ve got all the way from SE 245/Bernie Marsden to SC 594 (obviously you’d be looking for a used 594 on a deal, probably).

Replacing the Studio with a PRS single cut with HB’s would free up the cash from that sale for another PRS!

Are you replacing a guitar or adding a guitar?

For me, once I started getting into multiple electric guitars I realized I needed to think through the purchase process and see what tonal niche each instrument would occupy. Every guitar is slightly different (even "identical" models). However, different specs and configurations will definitely produce different tones. So having a plan about what tonal area I want to fill really helps me narrow my choices.

The 594 is going to be LP like. It's almost certainly going to have better fit and finish and it's highly likely to play better than your current LP. The sound will probably be an upgrade (but maybe not). The 594 will still be in the same "family" as your LP Studio.

The 305 will be similar to your SE EG. Again, it will be an upgrade across the board, but still in the same family.

Sometimes you specifically want a similar type guitar because that configuration feels right and sounds right to your ear. If that's your intent, then definitely buy something similar to your current instruments!

The HBII will absolutely be a different voice versus what you have. I have an HBII and love that guitar. It's so different and so pretty and so nice to play. I love this direction and of everything you've mentioned, I think this is the most unique and compelling purchase given what you already have.

If you want to cover a different style or sound you may want to consider a different configuration than what you currently have. It looks like you don't have a Tele in your collection, so perhaps something that can do Tele like tones is something to consider.

To me, PRS doesn't really make a Tele. To my ear, the closest thing PRS males to a Tele is the Vela. The three saddle hard tail bridge is VERY Tele like. The two pickup configuration is very Tele like. The wood selection is not Tele at all. I bought a Vela about 6 months ago, and I adore that guitar. It's a cool/bizarre/fascinating combination of a Tele and an SG. The D style single col in the neck is my favorite single coil. I LOVE that pickup. The Starla bridge HB has bite and some grit but with a lot of clarity. The Vela is a really unique sounding instrument that is different than everything you already have. Mine is super light and really easy to play. HIGHLY recommended.

The new S2 Studio is similar to a Vela except it has an additional D type single coil (making it an HSS) and it has a tremolo. Losing the fixed bridge take away some of the immediacy of the Vela's attack. The S2 Studio is more of a Nashville Tele (3 pickup Tele) than a Strat, AND it also has all the PRS magic that makes it so amazing to play. I'm lusting after one of these and have to convince myself daily not to buy one.

Within your budget there are a lot of core models available; Custom 22 & Custom 24, 408, Paul's guitar, etc. I haven't said anything about he Silver Sky because I've never played one. The reviews are universally positive. Another thing to consider if you really want a Silver Sky is a Strat. The new American Elite series are amazing instruments with some unique features and they're significantly less than a Silver Sky; just something to consider. If you've never played an American Elite Strat, pick one up and see how it feels. The neck is extraordinary. The compound radius AND compound profiile is a really great feature and to some (like me) it instantly feels comfortable. That guitar neck is to me, the most natural feeling neck I have.

Whatever you get, you're going to love it. You really can't go wring.

There are a lot of ways you could go. I'm thinking if you want a good US made PRS to take to the grave with you, you might want to consider buying new. Only because you'll be pumped when you first buy it and will remember over the years when you bought it! (and you can hold on to the receipt and case candy and all).

But I think the S2 and CE are the only US guitars under your $2500 cap. Both are great guitars. The S2 is a full US made PRS but uses Korean hardware and electronics. Like the core models they have mahogany bodies and necks and maple tops but the maple cap is smaller and has more of a rough bevel. The CE is of course an awesome guitar and also has a mahogany body and maple top but has more of a smooth carve. (the maple carved top is not as dramatic as the core CU24 but it is still very nice and supposedly more comfortable to play.) It uses full US made 85/12 pickups and US electronics and the same S2 locking tuners. But like the S2 users the Korean made floating bridge. The primary difference of the CE24 of course is the bolt on maple neck.

I intended to buy an S2 Customer 24 but after playing a CE24, I decided to go over my budget and buy the CE. Its awesome!!

The problem is, after playing such an awesome guitar, I already want to buy a full US Core model. With that, I want to recommend you either buy an excellent condition used CU24 (or other core model) or you stretch your budget like me and buy a core model new. If you can do the latter, you may find you won't need to scratch that itch still in a year. ...who am I kidding, if your like everyone here, one you have one, you'll just want to buy more.

If you can get to a store that has S2's CE's and Core models definitely do it.

Which guitar are you looking to emulate?

EG or studio?

If you’re looking for Strat sounds then I don’t think you can go far wrong with the Silver Sky. There is now a video showing how to float the trem. That will give you all the Jimi/PF sounds you could want all day and night.

If you’re looking for JP sounds then you’ve got all the way from SE 245/Bernie Marsden to SC 594 (obviously you’d be looking for a used 594 on a deal, probably).

Replacing the Studio with a PRS single cut with HB’s would free up the cash from that sale for another PRS!

The EG. I really like what I've heard from videos on the silver sky - my only real question is, can it handle the heavier classic rock or early grunge tones? Undoubtedly the SS sounds great for bluesy Jimi/PF songs - I completely agree with you!

In the used market you can get what you are looking for at or below your limit. CE's will run you $1100 - $1400. McCarty's will be about $1500ish. Cu24's will be in the $2000's. That is where I would start.

I'm in the LA area. Guitar Center doesn't have a big PRS section like it once did... or at least the sherman oaks area GC doesnt. I can try the hollywood GC or sam ash.

Are you replacing a guitar or adding a guitar?

Thanks for the feedback! I dont have a lot of space to house guitars, unless I start wall hanging them over my bed lol. So I guess I'll have to replace one or possibly both of my guitars... I love the look of the Mccarty 594, but the prices are pretty high. The used ones I've seen on reverb start at $2500 and go up from there I'm aware that build quality is wonderful, but I can't help thinking I'm also paying a premium for it's amazing looks!

The 305 will be similar to your SE EG. Again, it will be an upgrade across the board, but still in the same family.

For me the 305, that seems like an obvious choice because of it's sss configuration. Just curious, what about it makes it an upgrade across the board over the se eg? Newbie here lol :)

The new S2 Studio is similar to a Vela except it has an additional D type single coil (making it an HSS) and it has a tremolo.

I havent checked out the Vela or S2 yet. This would be really interesting to have the HB and a single coil all in one guitar. I'm not sure what a D-type since coil is? How is that different than your typical single coil? I've also looked at the Music Man Cutlass HSS which also seems to be of very high quality.

The HBII will absolutely be a different voice versus what you have. I have an HBII and love that guitar. It's so different and so pretty and so nice to play. I love this direction and of everything you've mentioned, I think this is the most unique and compelling purchase given what you already have.

The HBII I know was used by Mike Einziger back in the day and he got all sorts of tone out of it! They run a lot of $$ used as well, and new.. forgetaboutit. I've seen some used in the 2-3k rang in the 2000's decade range. Does year matter in this case? Or should I pay primary concern to the overall condition of the guitar itself?

The new American Elite series are amazing instruments with some unique features and they're significantly less than a Silver Sky; just something to consider.
I've always like the fender sound, but for some reason if you put a PRS in my hand or a Fender, I'd always take the PRS everytime. But I can never be too sure!

There are a lot of ways you could go. I'm thinking if you want a good US made PRS to take to the grave with you, you might want to consider buying new. Only because you'll be pumped when you first buy it and will remember over the years when you bought it! (and you can hold on to the receipt and case candy and all).

But I think the S2 and CE are the only US guitars under your $2500 cap. Both are great guitars. The S2 is a full US made PRS but uses Korean hardware and electronics. Like the core models they have mahogany bodies and necks and maple tops but the maple cap is smaller and has more of a rough bevel. The CE is of course an awesome guitar and also has a mahogany body and maple top but has more of a smooth carve. (the maple carved top is not as dramatic as the core CU24 but it is still very nice and supposedly more comfortable to play.) It uses full US made 85/12 pickups and US electronics and the same S2 locking tuners. But like the S2 users the Korean made floating bridge. The primary difference of the CE24 of course is the bolt on maple neck.

I intended to buy an S2 Customer 24 but after playing a CE24, I decided to go over my budget and buy the CE. Its awesome!!

The problem is, after playing such an awesome guitar, I already want to buy a full US Core model. With that, I want to recommend you either buy an excellent condition used CU24 (or other core model) or you stretch your budget like me and buy a core model new. If you can do the latter, you may find you won't need to scratch that itch still in a year. ...who am I kidding, if your like everyone here, one you have one, you'll just want to buy more.

If you can get to a store that has S2's CE's and Core models definitely do it.

I completely agree. Don't get me wrong, there is undeniable allure from older guitars... and I may very well get a used guitar still, but I'd also love to get a brand new guitar and start my journey with her. As far as the CE24's/CU24's go, they look alot like the mccarty 594, what's the difference? With the access to high frets, does that make it feel more like a SG?

The CU24 was supposed to be (I'm bastardiziing this quote) sorta cross between fender and gibson and the CE24 is (again...'basically'...) similar guitar with bolt on maple neck

Given your artists, for new I would also recommend you try out the CE24 as it can cover a wide ground, and these 85/15 pickups are amazing.

There are great product videos on this PRS site, which are better than a thousand words, there's likely a good PRS dealer in LA area too, probably find one and get the red carpet treatment if you post onsite looking for one. Have fun.

The EG. I really like what I've heard from videos on the silver sky - my only real question is, can it handle the heavier classic rock or early grunge tones? Undoubtedly the SS sounds great for bluesy Jimi/PF songs - I completely agree with you!

So a Silver Sky and a Bernie Marsden it is then?!

JH/DG covered with the single coils and JP covered by the Humbuckers! ;)

I bet the Bernie would give you some grunge too! Ask @bodia :D

Noah, Like pac90 said, the Custom 24 was originally designed to fit between a Les Paul and Strat. The LP (and I think and SG) scale length is 24.75 and the Strat and Tele have 25.5 in scale length. The CU 24 has a 25" scale so it sits right in between. Longer scale length supposedly yield brighter tones and more harmonics and shorter scale, more warmer tones. Certainly a shorter scale with 22 frets will have frets closer together than a longer scale with 22 frets (these tight frets are slightly harder to play for me) and also shorter scale guitars strings have less tension so bending and vibratos are easier. (I have always used 9's on my Strat but settled on 10's on my old PRS Santana which uses the 24.75 scale I believe. On my CE24 I also use 10's.)

The Custom 24 originally used (and except for special runs, still uses) the LP woods (Mahogany body, maple cap, Mahogany neck, rosewood board) but used the straight string pull through the nut like the Strat. It featured a floating bridge like the Strat and dual hummbucker like and LP or SG.

As pac90 already stated the CE24 is pretty much a CU24 but with a bolt on maple neck which is more Strat like. I agree the pickups are amazing and can cover a wide ground. I play blues, some classic rock, some dead, some Phish, and other jam bands and occasional hard rock. I go back and forth between single coils and humbuckers for a crazy variety of sounds. I love mine!

The Mccarty 594 can be had in double cut or single cut form but are closer to a Les Paul. They have 24.594 scale length which is where the name comes from and they have two volume and two tone knobs like an LP and the pickup selector on the upper horn. Also it has 22 frets. I haven't played one but by all accounts they play and sound like a Les Paul and are fantastic guitars.

I'm in the LA area. Guitar Center doesn't have a big PRS section like it once did... or at least the sherman oaks area GC doesnt. I can try the hollywood GC or sam ash.
Isn't Wild West Guitars in that area somewhere? I'd expect them to have a big selection of PRS guitars.

Back