PRS SE Custom - Seymour Duncan installation

David Ainsworth

Hi there

I have recently purchased a PRS SE Custom 24, and a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set of pickups.

Following the instructions from SD to install the pickups seem straight forwards.

However after the installation the sound from the guitar is not good, any guidance upon troubleshooting / investigating what could be going wrong?

Cheers

Dave

PRS and SD wires are a different color. Are the right colored wires soldered up in the correct spot?

PRS and SD wires are a different color. Are the right colored wires soldered up in the correct spot?
Yeah, this. If you wired them the same way as the PRS pickups were wired, you're going to have issues. Meaning, the white wire on the PRS might be the same as the black wire on the SD.

Hi there,

thank you for your help with this little problem with the install.

I picked up the wiring diagram from the SD website, so joining the green / un-shielded and earthing them. the the Red and White being soldered together onto the tone pot switch, and finally the black wires were soldered onto the Blade switch.

The guitar makes guitar type noises, but does not have the punch which I would think it should have. in fact it sounds less punchy now with the SD pickups than it did with the stock pickups.

Cheers

DAve

2H_3G_1VppSPL_1T.jpg

This was the wiring diagram i followed.

Is the sound light at all switch settings? I'd check all.grounds, connections, and make sure the pickups are in phase too, especially if thin sounding together.

Have you adjusted pickup height?

Hi there

the sound is thin, lacking mid and bass in all three blade switch settings. I have adjusted the pickup height, trying different heights including the recommended and it makes no difference.

very weird.

Cheers

Dave

Hi there

I have recently purchased a PRS SE Custom 24, and a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set of pickups.

Following the instructions from SD to install the pickups seem straight forwards.

However after the installation the sound from the guitar is not good, any guidance upon troubleshooting / investigating what could be going wrong?

Cheers

Dave
Curious how this ended up, did you get any improvement? I am about to install exact same pickups in my SE Custom. The Duncan diagram shown in this thread seems to be the correct way to go with the wiring, accepting that the colors are different?

Also curious about if you ever figured this out? I too just acquired my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 and want to put in some SD as well, I have been doing some research about how to keep the coil split options for the 35th anniversary edition... but curious if you ever figured out what was causing the thin sound in your setup?

Is there a schematic or diagram fir a prs 18-24? I'm not sure how to wire the bridge pickup. I have Seymore dunken High voltage set.

Back