PRS SE C24 30th Anniversary Tuning stability

Vcent_e

Hello forum :D, I've read many topics about problems with this models, Im kinda worried with mine, after playing one or two songs the guitar is slightly out of tune and using the whammy bar is painful, Is it true all the stuff about the stability issues or do I have to return my PRS?
If the problems are real a Tusq nut would help?

thanks !

Mine had a little problem with that until I took some extremely ultra fine sanding film to the nut on the slots and very carefully polished those slots. Tested by pulling the strings out of the slots until they came out without dragging. I would loosen to do the sanding/polishing, tighten the string back into each slot up to tune and then loosen just enough to pull it back out, checking for that least little bit of drag. But, I ordered mine from Sweetwater and specified 10-46 gauge. I also told them to make sure it intonated properly, but for whatever reason, it wasn't quite close enough. After that, no more tuning issues with whammy bar use.

You said the whammy is painful? I assume you don't mean it physically hurts your hand, right? Didn't think so, but I ordered whammy bar tips from PRS mostly for the looks to match the black pups and rings. It was too loose and I had to sleeve it with shrink tubing for a very snug fit, but it is very comfortable on my hand.

Bottom line, would you be changing the nut out yourself? Or take it to a luthier, who would do essentially what I did, but with special nut files.

Was this a case of playing it right out of the box and then having the issue or have you been playing on it for a few days? New strings will stretch as well which will cause it to go flat. If the strings have been played enough to get them settled in it would probably benefit from a setup which should include working the nut over and adjusting the trem. If the luthier you use is not a "prs guy" it would probably be wise to print out the setup guide for the bridge so it is adjusted correctly.

I'm a big fan of the Tusq XL nut, I put one on my SE CU 24 and it was a breeze. The slots are more of an open bowl shape vs the deep narrow slots on the stock nut, so you don't have to worry about changing gauges so much. John Mann has a nice video on YouTube installing a trem on an SE Santana, including how to properly set it up. That will help too, I think sometimes the pivot screws are a little off on the SE's.

I have that very Tusq nut on my Tremonti SE and it (along with locking tuners) has improved the tuning stability a bazillion percent. (that probably isnt a real number but it shows what i mean!)

I'm having some real issues with tuning on my SE Tremonti Custom. I've replaced the stock nut with a TUSQ XL, and also replaced the stock Tuners with Schaller M6 locking nuts. The tuning is a bit more stable but it still goes out if I use the trem.

It's strung with 9s but I'm beginning to think it's the trem that's not set up properly. Anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Back