PRS - Please Stop...

In your opinion but not IMO. :)

I like the old control layout, winged tuners, one piece bridge, and old CEs more than todays offerings.

Pickups are probably better today but that's about it IMO.
That’s exactly the business model of G (and to a lesser extent, F.)… Believe that what you did in the past is better than what you could do in the future, and that your customers only want old stuff. PRS is fortunately not burdened with that legacy baggage.

Sure, there some things I don’t like about current models, but those are mainly the new “old” features - like speccing vintage tuners, bone nut, etc.

I've seriously thought about grinding down a squabbin and adding a cover, but then I remembered it's curved to match the fretboard radius.
I think that could be over come also, I am thinking about making a form so I could bend the cover to shape , what I need is a broken Square Bobbin pickup to play with :)

How about not adding 1K+ to the price because you put a $40.00 preamp in it?
Tho it is a bit pricy the body has a custom body route , the preamp ( when sold my Alembic its 200+ dollars ) and a different body wood and custom finish. I don't know I have a huge problem with the retail price , I've seen other makers do limited runs and charge 10-20K
I have a bigger problem with the folks buying them and fipping them for 5K

I think that could be over come also, I am thinking about making a form so I could bend the cover to shape , what I need is a broken Square Bobbin pickup to play with :)
That would be cool. I think it can be done, but still working on the how. It's not an overly aggressive bend needed.

Attention all pickup hoarders.. any damaged squabbins stashed away? Forum brothers in need! :)

Tho it is a bit pricy the body has a custom body route , the preamp ( when sold my Alembic its 200+ dollars ) and a different body wood and custom finish. I don't know I have a huge problem with the retail price , I've seen other makers do limited runs and charge 10-20K
I have a bigger problem with the folks buying them and fipping them fo

Disclaimer:
Remember, I know nothing.

Custom body route = load a different disc into the CNC machine.
$40.00 in 1977 = $200.00 today. A difference that makes no difference is no difference.
Different body wood. Is it super rare unobtainable wood or just different wood?
Custom finish. Again, super rare stain and paint or just different colors?

"Dead spec mod of John Meyer signature model."

I guess that explains it...

In my opinion there is no way to justify the $1,000,00+ price hike based on these "custom modifications".

Yup, yup, yup-yup, yup.

I’m shy on paying that.
"Honey! I thought You Said You Were Only Buying One Guitar"?

"That's Right, I Only Bought One Guitar Like I Promised."

"Then What Is This Other Guitar Charge All About"?

"Oh THAT Charge...It Isn't Another Guitar Honey...I Bought Some Matching Knobs For The New Guitar."

"If You Say So...But It Looks Like Two PRS Core Guitars Were Bought To Me!"

Okay, here's my complaint. Not just with PRS but with other guitar makers as well.

Can you get the boom out of the neck pickups? In an interview with Joe Walsh with his signature PRS he even said "with new guitars the neck pickups have WAY too many low mids. Vintage guitars don't have that problem." I've never played a vintage guitar so I can't agree or disagree with him so I'll have to take his word.

I've heard some neck humbuckers (and P90 neck pickups) that make the bridge pickup sound weak due to the excessive bass and output in the neck pickup. While some aren't as bad as others, some are way over the top in terms of bass response and output.

I would love to find a set of pickups where I'm thinking "Wow! they sound like they should in their respective positions and nothing about either pickup overrides the other!"

I love my Vela, but sometimes I wonder what the neck pickup would sound like if it was at least 5% underwound.

Okay, here's my complaint. Not just with PRS but with other guitar makers as well.

Can you get the boom out of the neck pickups? In an interview with Joe Walsh with his signature PRS he even said "with new guitars the neck pickups have WAY too many low mids. Vintage guitars don't have that problem." I've never played a vintage guitar so I can't agree or disagree with him so I'll have to take his word.

I've heard some neck humbuckers (and P90 neck pickups) that make the bridge pickup sound weak due to the excessive bass and output in the neck pickup. While some aren't as bad as others, some are way over the top in terms of bass response and output.

I would love to find a set of pickups where I'm thinking "Wow! they sound like they should in their respective positions and nothing about either pickup overrides the other!"

I love my Vela, but sometimes I wonder what the neck pickup would sound like if it was at least 5% underwound.
You can take some of that out with pickup and pickup pole adjustments. You may need to try some different pickups until you find one that really works for you. You could have a chat with Lindy Fralin about it and have him wind you some custom pickups. He is great to work with and will let you ship the pickup back for a rewind with a description of what you didn't like about it. Once you get the formula nailed, you can have him make as many as you need. I had him do a couple of sets for me for a couple of my guitars and he nailed it.

In your opinion but not IMO. :)

I like the old control layout, winged tuners, one piece bridge, and old CEs more than todays offerings.

Pickups are probably better today but that's about it IMO.
I’ve owned 4 different PRS’s from the 90’s and I have to say that the newer guitars they make are just better and much more refined instruments overall

You can take some of that out with pickup and pickup pole adjustments. You may need to try some different pickups until you find one that really works for you. You could have a chat with Lindy Fralin about it and have him wind you some custom pickups. He is great to work with and will let you ship the pickup back for a rewind with a description of what you didn't like about it. Once you get the formula nailed, you can have him make as many as you need. I had him do a couple of sets for me for a couple of my guitars and he nailed it.
I am considering contacting Lindy Fralin about a neck pickup for my SG Special. They do 5% underwinds but I'm wondering if 5% will be enough to give me what I want. I guess all I can do is ask and see what they say.

Regarding neck pickups in other guitars, I've tried every imaginable height adjustement to get what I want and no dice. I can adjust the pickup down (away from the strings) and while it cuts the bass, the high end is gone. Saw one trick where you take the pickup way down then bring the pole pieces closer to the strings. It kinda worked but still wasn't quite there. Saw another trick where you solder a .047 (I think that was the value) cap in line with the pickups output wire. Didn't make one bit of difference.

The only guitar I have that doesn't have this problem is with my Telecaster. Got DiMarzio's in it. The Area T neck and the Area T Hot bridge. Perfect balance. Meaning, either pickup doesn't override the other one in any way. That's my definaition of a balanced set.

I’ve owned 4 different PRS’s from the 90’s and I have to say that the newer guitars they make are just better and much more refined instruments overall
My oldest PRS guitars are from 2006. I wouldn't say that the new instruments are better in every way. I currently have 4 of mine out and have been playing all 4 of them. My CU22 from 2006, DGT from 2011, 594 from 2016 and Studio from 2023. They all are on par as far as built quality, feel and playability as well as fretwork. The only place I would say they are different, where the newer guitars are better, is with the pickups and wiring changes. I have added 57/08 pickups and tap resistors to my CU22 and it sounds as good as my newer PRS guitars. I also put 57/08s in the 594. It is a hotter set. The 58/15 LT pickups weren't bad but I needed something with a bit more output. The other two guitars are stock.

88h3id.jpg

Love Klusons. Easy, work well, and look cool. McCartys need Kluson.

Bone nut looks cool.

Squabbins are gross.

TOM bridges are totally wrong on PRS - upper horn toggle switch, no.

Toggle switches belong on Custom 22 and 24s.

Early 2000s PRS are Golden Age instruments!

Just my opinions.

Back