PRS Dallas CAD top boost?

DGT_JJJK

Noticed one for sale . Says it was #55 of 100. Anyone ever heard of this amp? Has an input in the back for a footswitch. 50watts , 6l6, instead of the bright switch, it says top boost.

Wouldn't top boost be pretty much a bright switch? As in boosting the "top" or high end?

That's what they called it with an AC 30. It might be a special one that adds a little gain, as with certain AC30 circuits. The CAD program was all about the customization of PRS amps. There were limited runs with special features.

If memory serves, Boogie has a Dallas CAD amp. Maybe he can chime in.

Actually, too late. I found the listing and it sold yesterday on Reverb. Good price, too, I might add.

Last edited:
I thought top boost on an ac30 was an added gain stage ?

It was a treble boost, and it increased the gain on the high end, thus increasing the overall perceived gain. There may be added bottom girth on some of the circuits, but I think a lot of that perception is because the increased high frequency gain clipped the circuit earlier, and bass is always perceived to be louder when a circuit clips.

Last edited:
Actually, on the AC30, the top boost did add an extra, separate gain stage...at least the original top boost versions did. That had extra controls associated with it, but the circuit added in top end as well. They also called it a "brilliance circuit". It's all semantics in any case, because by definition, if you are "accentuating" high frequency components, rather than just filtering out low frequency components, it's an active circuit.

Last edited:
Actually, on the AC30, the top boost did add an extra, separate gain stage...at least the original top boost versions did. That had extra controls associated with it, but the circuit added in top end as well. They also called it a "brilliance circuit". It's all semantics in any case, because by definition, if you are "accentuating" high frequency components, rather than just filtering out low frequency components, it's an active circuit.

Interesting info and thanks, Aristotle!

I spent a lot of time with an AC30 Top Boost back in the 90s, but didn't really notice added gain other than HF stuff...however, even the 90s was a loooooong time ago....so it could be my memory that's lacking here.

No prob Les. In general, when you hear the term "boost" it'll be an active circuit, providing gain (meaning the output is more than the input....not necessarily distortion). And when you hear the term "bright switch" it's usually simply switching a capacitor in and out. Terms are fluid though, and in the case of the Dallas, you may be right in that it isn't providing any extra gain.

No prob Les. In general, when you hear the term "boost" it'll be an active circuit, providing gain (meaning the output is more than the input....not necessarily distortion). And when you hear the term "bright switch" it's usually simply switching a capacitor in and out. Terms are fluid though, and in the case of the Dallas, you may be right in that it isn't providing any extra gain.

I knew it was an active circuit boost, like the studio EQs I use that add gain in the frequencies they're boosted in (exception, the Pultec style EQ). But of course, that boost does add gain to those frequencies. I can overdrive a mixer circuit with enough top boost if I choose to, just like an amp. Or a treble boost pedal.

But I didn't realize the thing about the bright switch. So much appreciated.

Then again, Aristotle, your brain has a bright-overdrive switch that mine lacks. ;)

Well, I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about. Where's Em7 when you need him?

For what it's worth though, bright switch usually means something very specific. It's a capacitor that's between the top and the middle of the voltage divider formed by the volume pot. When you crank the volume full on, the cap is essentially out of the circuit, but at low volumes, the cap tends to shunt more of the high frequency content across the top half of the divider, which is the signal passed onto the first gain stage. The result being that the volume pot doesn't take away high frequencies as much as it takes away low frequencies as you lower the volume control.

Well, I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about. Where's Em7 when you need him?

For what it's worth though, bright switch usually means something very specific. It's a capacitor that's between the top and the middle of the voltage divider formed by the volume pot. When you crank the volume full on, the cap is essentially out of the circuit, but at low volumes, the cap tends to shunt more of the high frequency content across the top half of the divider, which is the signal passed onto the first gain stage. The result being that the volume pot doesn't take away high frequencies as much as it takes away low frequencies as you lower the volume control.

Got it.

In truth I need a cap to protect my head from all the information that flies over it, just in case some flies low enough to enter my brain. Which this did.

If memory serves, Boogie has a Dallas CAD amp. Maybe he can chime in.
Yeah, I have a CAD Super Dallas with a bass cut mod. Those CAD Dallas models could have a very wide range of mods. Anymore, nothing surprises me. I wonder if Jeff could fill in the details on this "Top-Boost" feature?

Amp arrived today!

Definitely a treble/gain boost. But makes the amp EXTREMELY versatile. Not brittle at all. Love it.

Amp arrived today!

Definitely a treble/gain boost. But makes the amp EXTREMELY versatile. Not brittle at all. Love it.

Awesome!

There are lots of great amps out there, but the PRS CAD amps can go toe-to-toe with any of them, and have lots of unique sounds on tap to boot. I hope you get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of it!

BTW...pics? Also, share any details about your rig - cabs, pedals, etc. ;)

Back