PRS covering Fender land

Scott Grove--OK, the guy's a decent player, but, jeez, what's with these guys who use the same middle-and-bridge Strat tone on EVERYTHING? It's a good tone (or would have been if he'd dialed in a little more midrange!), but even Mark Knopfler doesn't use that setting all the time. I listened to the first few tunes in that vid--heck, I've played all of them; I've done a lot of country gigs over the years--but if you're the only lead guitar in the band--I didn't hear a steel player, so he must be--you've got to suggest other instruments, and a good way to do that is to vary your tone up. Change pickup settings, use your bridge pickup once in a while; that's a classic country tone, just ask Brent Mason, Roy Nichols, Don Rich, Luther Perkins, James Burton...there's a lot more to dynamics than just switching in your distortion with the same old tone on your guitar. Heck, I even use that middle-and-bridge setting myself, usually if I'm trying to channel Mark Knopfler or later-period Clapton--but, come on, there are lots of good tones available on a 3-pickup guitar--let's use a few more of them suckers!
Hey, Scott, that's not your signature tone--too many of the rest of us have used it too much over too many years! Kind of reminds of that period in the early-to-mid-'70's, right after phase shifters came out, when there were way too many guys using the phase shifter all the way through every song for the whole gig. Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh...Aaargh!

And while I know why it was used, if I never hear the quack of the 1 and 3 pickup combination again I'll be a happy guy, as a setting it just makes everyone who uses it sound the same.
With that said, our tone is, well, our tone. It's the one thing that is wholly ours no matter what level of playing we are at or what style we play. It's one of the components that identify us to listeners.
So, I may hate Scott's tone, I hated Randy Rhodes tone too (though I loved his playing) but it's the tone they picked and I just can't work up any hate based on that.

FWIW, Ty had one of my favorite tones and I was shocked that what he was using to get it were possibly two of the most vilified pieces of equipment in the history of guitar.
My favorite quote byTy. "...it was a combo of using several things that were wrong..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Grove, Roman, or Hiland deserve any press here...

PRS went out of their way to promote Hiland, even giving him his own core signature model - but he jumped ship pretty quickly. I've heard a lot of people talk about what a great guy he is. But it looks to me like he's just another greed, follow the money guy. Didn't return any of the loyalty that PRS gave him.

Roman - sour grapes. His web site was more humor to me than anything else. I actually tried to buy a guitar from him somewhere around 98'-99'. He sent me like a 4 page contract just to buy a guitar. All completely geared to favor him over me. Why would anyone deal with someone like that with all of the good, honest, and kind dealers out there.

Grove? I don't know him. And based oh the comments here, I'm not going to waste my time learning more about him.

Last edited:
In reference to the original topic, my 513s (Swampy and Maple topped) cover any "F" type sound I could ask for...and I used to own an older bolt-on Roman with P-90s and it was actually a pretty nice guitar. Not even close to "Holy Grail" status, but played and sounded pretty nice. Got it used , just because of all the hub-bub...NOPE, McSoapies kicked its A$$...Thank you very much.
I really enjoyed Johnny Hiland...kinda wondered what had happened, with his model coming out and going to MM pretty soon afterwards...?????

Live by the endorsement, die by the endorsement. Not a big deal when someone gets a sig, not a big deal when they jump. Hiland is still a great player.

Last edited:
I don't know what happened between Johnny Hiland and PRSG, and I don't really care - it's none of my business. But I'm not ready to excommunicate any endorser who becomes a former endorser. I know this about Johnny - he's one hell of a guitar player, and my encounters with him were always gracious and pleasurable. He was at the first three (maybe four - I'd have to check) Experiences, and his clinics were always a highlight for me. On top of that, he was extremely gracious and encouraging to everyone, at least as far as I saw. Which doesn't make him unique among the artists who were there, not by a long shot.

I feel the same way as Alan about Hiland, though I've not yet met him.

Things can get tough at times in the music business, even for a great player like Hiland. If he had a better endorsement deal, well, it's like being offered a job with higher pay. Hard to turn that down. A musician has to at least consider the opportunities that arise to make a buck.

I'm sure that Paul understood and I'm betting they parted friends.

I think many are under the assumption that just because we appreciate a player like Hiland and that he's famous in our circle, that he's raking in the money. Truth of the matter is a lot of working musicians need to get income anyway possible and to cut costs anyway possible just to make ends meet. Hiland, as great a player as he is, is getting paid playing O'Nelly's Sports Bar in Lewis Center Ohio and the Roadside Grill in Hermitage, TN, not Madison Square Garden or headlining Coachella, so I'm sure the endorsements, teaching and whatever else he can do help out a lot.
http://www.johnnyhiland.net/gear.html

I think many are under the assumption that just because we appreciate a player like Hiland and that he's famous in our circle, that he's raking in the money. Truth of the matter is a lot of working musicians need to get income anyway possible and to cut costs anyway possible just to make ends meet. Hiland, as great a player as he is, is getting paid playing O'Nelly's Sports Bar in Lewis Center Ohio and the Roadside Grill in Hermitage, TN, not Madison Square Garden or headlining Coachella, so I'm sure the endorsements, teaching and whatever else he can do help out a lot.

Yup!

Since nobody buys music anymore plenty of artists have got to hustle to make ends meet. Two of my favorite musicians have pretty much full-time jobs outside of the music industry: Dave, the singer and guitar player from Chromeo is a professor and Gary Miller (aka Dr. Know and onetime PRS endorser) from Bad Brains (there would be no Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, RHCP, Living Color, Nirvana, etc.etc. without them) works at a grocery store.

Wanna hate on Hiland for jumping ship? Turn off your Spotify and pay for a damn record once in a while and then you can b!tch.

Since nobody buys music anymore plenty of artists have got to hustle to make ends meet.
Buys music, how about pays money to go hear it live?

When I was coming up Long Island had an incredible club and music scene where bands were packing really large clubs. Twisted Sister, love them or hate them, were incredibly popular.
But nothing lasts forever. Just thought Dee's son Shane's post shows what can happen.
http://mydadwasinaband.com/my-dad-is-dee-snider/

My father road his mountain bike to his job working as my uncle’s secretary making just over minimum wage while my mother took care of me and my 2 brothers. Apparently, “rock star” isn’t enough experience to have on a resume to get a decent job. Sometimes my father would would perform with a group called the SMF’s at small bars with maybe 20 people in attendance. Many of which were not there for the show.

To me if someone can make it in music, however they can make it, more power to them.

Wow, I used to live in Lewis Center, and am only fifteen minutes from there, now. I think I will go check him out! And yeah, if he's playing there, he ain't exactly raking in the big bucks.

Last edited:
No worries Sergio, was just razzing ya back!

I do like live shows, but these days I'm more apt to hit Austin and some small clubs than an arena show with thousands of inebriated kids.

Speaking of live shows, I read an article about the best place to live in the country for a musician that just wanted to be a musician and it was East Nashville.

As far as Scott, he's an idiot. He can't accept that he might be wrong about something. I was watching a video where he "proved" that wood doesn't affect the tone. One of the things that he did was played a Les paul, set it back to back with another one. There was a slight difference in the tone. not a lot, but it was there. The other thing he did was play 10 guitars with out letting anyone see them, I guessed them all except the few that I never heard.

He got in a public fight with Rob Chapman that ended with Scott threatening Rob that he was "gonna see him out back at NAMM." Any time you even ask him a question about something he says that might be against what he said, he just bans you from his channel and says "such and such was a dumb motherf***er so I banned them."

He's stated that if he uses any kind of strings except Elixir then they literally melt off in 30 minutes of playing, but Elixir last 10 or 12 years...

You do know that every time someone complains about Scott he gets more views on his YouTube channel and God kills a kitten.

Remember, Scott, like his heroes KISS, follows this idea...

The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people.
George Bernard Shaw

Last edited:
Wow...the guy can play but that tone sucks. And I think he's got one or two screws loose...

I had to clean my ears out with this:

Free lessons from masters at their craft...let's here it for technology! Wish the interweb was available when I started playing as a kid. er...around 1975. I might be a monster by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
A little more on the endorsement thing. I asked on another forum about Takamine having so many country players, since country is all about Amurica, mom, & apple pie. I was told guys like Blake Shelton stick with them because they'd been with them a long time, sponsored Blake long before he hit the big time. I'm just saying that there's some merit and character to that sort of loyalty.

Next time you see Blake Shelton and/or his band play electrics, take notice of which brand of guitars they use almost exclusively.

Back