PRS-built "LP" for Tim Pierce, 594 Singlecut

SonicBlue

Anyone have extra details on this guitar that PRS built for Tim Pierce?

Info from the videos below:
- McCarty 594 SC based but I'm not assuming same specs
- Woods unknown
- Weight unknown, but he did have it made lightweight (not sure if chambered)
- PRS TCI pickups
- Dots (moons?)
- 60's thin neck
- Tim had it custom made and bought it, it wasn't given to him

PRS does have lightweight African Mahogany bodies. My P245T was ordered with a total weight max at 8lbs, and they came in just under (with a full Brazilian RW neck, trem and piezo to boot!). While the SC594 is a slightly thicker body than the P245, typically Braz RW neck would weight more than a classic mahogany neck.

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

From an earlier video, I believe Tim did spec the 58/15LT pickups (TCI) and a 1 piece bridge for his Black guitar with dots so it would be somewhat more incognito when playing out. Guess some producers have a strong bias to G and F but who in their right mind would argue with Tim on what guitar he would pick to record?!?

PRS does have lightweight African Mahogany bodies. My P245T was ordered with a total weight max at 8lbs, and they came in just under (with a full Brazilian RW neck, trem and piezo to boot!). While the SC594 is a slightly thicker body than the P245, typically Braz RW neck would weight more than a classic mahogany neck.

164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg

From an earlier video, I believe Tim did spec the 58/15LT pickups (TCI) and a 1 piece bridge for his Black guitar with dots so it would be somewhat more incognito when playing out. Guess some producers have a strong bias to G and F but who in their right mind would argue with Tim on what guitar he would pick to record?!?

That top is stunning. Wow. And to be that light with a Braz neck is surprising. I had a ME1 Singlecut with Brazilian neck and it weighed 11-12lbs, though it had an extra thick and heavy mahogany slab for a body. I didn't think PRS made them that heavy, but it was still a great guitar.

The 1 piece bridge is interesting. I've observed that Paul's guitar has a 1 piece bridge and he doesn't do anything without good reason, especially on his own signature guitar.

When I spec'd my Tonare PS acoustic with maple back and sides, I said I wanted a natural finish, so the casual observer would just think it was a J185 or J200. I was a bit reticent about pulling out a fancy guitar when doing a session with guys I hire - who are phenomenal players, while I merely get by half-assed.

The PS folks suggested a subtle stained finish, and it looks great, but I completely understand the desire to fly under the radar.

As you might imagine, however, the guitar NEVER flies under the radar, but it does look great and no one gives me a hard time about it, so I was worried about something that never happened. Which is mostly what I worry about, anyway (wait, isn't that, like, a line from a Tom Petty song?). ;)

"Les, you don't play half-assed, really. You play like a complete ass, and ought to practice a lot more. You don't deserve that guitar."

"It ain't about deserve."

"I can't recall you ever saying that." :rolleyes:

"Stole the line from 11 Top."

Last edited:
That top is stunning. Wow. And to be that light with a Braz neck is surprising. I had a ME1 Singlecut with Brazilian neck and it weighed 11-12lbs, though it had an extra thick and heavy mahogany slab for a body. I didn't think PRS made them that heavy, but it was still a great guitar.

The 1 piece bridge is interesting. I've observed that Paul's guitar has a 1 piece bridge and he doesn't do anything without good reason, especially on his own signature guitar.
Wow, that’s unusually heavy even for a SCT ME I. I had one (before I ordered my P245T) and it was barely over 8lbs. The SCT body is thinner than the P245 body.

I have 6 ME1 SCs. Not one is close to 9 lbs.

Back