PRS Amp School - The Search for Tube Tone Knowledge

....I would buy a Klon over a clone as long as the clone wasn't a better product.
That's one of my points: in my situation, it IS different. And when you find something that transforms your attitude toward your gear - be it the cheapest, nastiest Arion distortion pedal or a rare boutique OD - it's the right tool for that amp and/or combination of gear. It's the results that matter, not how elegantly you got there. And since a single resistor value can be the difference between awesome and good, it's easy to understand how a clone can be "better".

Against my my better judgement, I'll share some of my internal video clips captured during my tests with higher gain settings. Despite the iPhone compression and peak distortion from my volume level, it gives you an idea of how I've started to put the reins on this pedal. The link should be available tonight

That's one of my points: in my situation, it IS different. And when you find something that transforms your attitude toward your gear - be it the cheapest, nastiest Arion distortion pedal or a rare boutique OD - it's the right tool for that amp and/or combination of gear. It's the results that matter, not how elegantly you got there. And since a single resistor value can be the difference between awesome and good, it's easy to understand how a clone can be "better".

Against my my better judgement, I'll share some of my internal video clips captured during my tests with higher gain settings. Despite the iPhone compression and peak distortion from my volume level, it gives you an idea of how I've started to put the reins on this pedal. The link should be available tonight

If you post a clip I will post a clip...not sure what of yet. :tongue:

I've got nothin' in terms of uber boutique pedals, but do have a bunch of PRS amps and a few pedals... Happy to take requests if anyone wants to hear a particular PRS amp with standard dirt and boost pedals in front.

Cool! Can't wait!!

I didn't make any clips today. Maybe this weekend when I get to touch a guitar again. HAH!

I'll post the worst clip ever...

clippy.jpg

Ok, here's an iCloud stream with several of my not-fit-for-public-consumption clips. You've been warned.

These are iPhone videos taken in my incomplete Boogie Laier. Sorry. Bad acoustics and bad recording. Add my playing and you've got a trifecta of poo. Anyway, these are riff scratchpad recordings or tone tests for higher gain with echo (I'm trying to get my ODs to play well with the El Capistan) so expect too much echo, too.

Clips

Start from the bottom and go up

Disclaimer: the clip with the cool feedback in the intro is my old Bassman cranked. Not the Super Dallas. Sorry.

Last edited:
I thought the clips sounded pretty darn good, actually!

I think I have similar tone taste, by the way, and my first really great amp was a BF Bassman I bought in...um...1968 NOS....

Ok, here's an iCloud stream with several of my not-fit-for-public-consumption clips. You've been warned.

These are iPhone videos taken in my incomplete Boogie Laier. Sorry. Bad acoustics and bad recording. Add my playing and you've got a trifecta of poo. Anyway, these are riff scratchpad recordings or tone tests for higher gain with echo (I'm trying to get my ODs to play well with the El Capistan) so expect too much echo, too.

Clips

Start from the bottom and go up

Disclaimer: the clip with the cool feedback in the intro is my old Bassman cranked. Not the Super Dallas. Sorry.

I missed this one when it came out. Wow Boogie, those sound great. Love the Bassman stuff also. I've been monkeying around with a DRRI head (yeah...they actually make a head version...) lately and it's been a ton of fun playing it dimed. Very non-Deluxe-Reverb with it dimed through a 4x12 of 55Hz Greenbacks.

EDIT: One thing did surprise me with your clips though.... I was expecting a bald guy sticking out his tongue while playing, but I was disappointed to find that you evidently misrepresent yourself with your avatar :)

Last edited:
EDIT: One thing did surprise me with your clips though.... I was expecting a bald guy sticking out his tongue while playing, but I was disappointed to find that you evidently misrepresent yourself with your avatar :)
Its a conspiracy through misinformation. :biggrin: You may notice a similarity between Markie's and my avatars.

I have to confess...greenbacks in a 4x12 have been a dream of mine for decades but I wouldn't indulge myself. Played thru a really old ('71 I think) cab and JTM45 but it was a 1 trick wonder. But man, what a trick. I'll bet the Deluxe thru it is heavenly. Next time I'm at Martysnarf's place, we've gotta talk!

I have to confess...greenbacks in a 4x12 have been a dream of mine for decades but I wouldn't indulge myself. Played thru a really old ('71 I think) cab and JTM45 but it was a 1 trick wonder. But man, what a trick. I'll bet the Deluxe thru it is heavenly. Next time I'm at Martysnarf's place, we've gotta talk!

A few years ago I did some sessions at a studio that had an early 70s Marshall cab with Greenies, using my Two-Rock head (sort of a Dumble style tone). The cab was beat to hell,

This was not supposed to be a good combination. But sometimes "supposed to" means nothing.

It was a sonic orgasm. If there is such a thing! ;)

It was a sonic orgasm. If there is such a thing! ;)
I get the feeling that this may be my next pursuit. Not only is it something I've never owned, it's something that has crossed my path. And my current cab mix doesn't include one. *sigh* There it is...GAS pains, and those don't come easy.

I get the feeling that this may be my next pursuit. Not only is it something I've never owned, it's something that has crossed my path. And my current cab mix doesn't include one. *sigh* There it is...GAS pains, and those don't come easy.

Well...next time you're in Maryland you get to try it out. Just warn me if you are getting close to a sonic orgasm so I can turn away :)

One of The Gear Page guys who was really, really into old Marshall cabs actually founded a speaker company called Scumback, that made clones of the old Celestion speaker varieties and even cloned the versions from era to era, etc. They're supposed to rival the originals quite well. I'd think that any solidly made 4x12 Marshall cab reproduction with a set of these might be just the ticket, and smell better to boot (I've never met a 50 year old guitar cab I really wanted to move into my studio to have to smell the stench of all those years of gigging, beer, cigarette smell, etc, and yeah, I know, it's about the sound but, um, no).

I don't know if they're still around.

It was something I was going to look into at the time I did the session, but I got sidetracked with other projects.

Last edited:
...I've never met a 50 year old guitar cab I really wanted to move into my studio to have to smell the stench of all those years of gigging, beer, cigarette smell, etc, and yeah, I know, it's about the sound but, um, no)..
:lol: Amen! One of the negative aspects of playing in crappy bars is that your gear needs a week to fumigate. Roadhouse stages are more disgusting than an hourly motel. And though I rarely put beer bottles on my amp/cab (they vibrate off or de-fizz it too fast. Remember, I play LOUD), coming in contact with the floor and air is enough to leave quite the aroma. Not being a smoker makes it really tough to stomach. In this pic, I made the mistake of using a flash, which revealed the stains of "stage experiences past". Yuk!

hacienda04.jpg

But, if I found a good old Marshall cab, those Scumbacks would be just the ticket. Thanks for the tip!

Back