PRS Amp School - The Search for Tube Tone Knowledge

I haven't tried scumbacks, but I've heard good things about them. On the other hand, Celestions are only a few bucks more per speaker....

If you're going to do it Boogie, see if you can try out the G12H55's in addition to the regular greenbacks. Depending on the amp you pair it with and the material, the added bass response works really well for live applications I find. Put the Archon through a 1960BHW and you'll never want to hear it through anything else.

I haven't tried scumbacks, but I've heard good things about them. On the other hand, Celestions are only a few bucks more per speaker....

Actually, with the Scumbacks the type of cones that were originally used on the Pre-Rola and later speakers was re-created. These are no longer available from Celestion.

Nor are silver Alnicos, etc.

If I remember from my conversations with the owner, he's an absolute detail freak about this stuff, and the reports I've heard from Scumback owners are that these are the real deal and really re-create the sound of the vintage speakers that people pay tons of money for.

Last edited:
Jesse, you are welcome to drop by and check out my HXDA if you feel the need… we are so close n all. Not sure if you've played one or not. Let me know!

The HX/DA is a clone of Duane Allmans Marshall Plexi, there are 3 toggles which change the electronics to make it a clone of a Marshall Super Lead like Hendrix played. Les has some great threads about the specifics...

The HXDA is without doubt The Greatest Amp In The History Of The Universe.

Not that that's a big deal or anything...

;)

So who's am I coming over to try?
Yeah, you know, I need to spend some serious time with an HXDA. But I'm quite certain that I'd be buying one within a week. And since I keep tellingn myself that I need a Marshall to round out my amp selection, I'm more convinced that I should go the PRS route. Aw crap, look what you guys have done now. :violin:

...I've been monkeying around with a DRRI head...Very non-Deluxe-Reverb with it dimed through a 4x12 of 55Hz Greenbacks.

You are KILLING me, man. On my short list of "ain't happening anytime soon" stuff, a 1960 cab with those greenbacks are screaming at me. It's the only serious cabinet type that I'm missing. And I'll admit it...I had no idea Fender made a Deluxe head. WANT WANT WANT!!! (my wallet just puckered) :eek:

If/when PRS has another event, and if Martysnarf lets the insane asylum congregate at his place again, I may drive and bring some gear. We helped his foundation settle with at-volume sessions with his Sweet 16, 2 Channel C and Bob's HXDA, which was a good analysis of Doug Sewell's recent work. Had I known that the Cornucopia of Cacophony (aka Aristotle's warehouse) was so close we would have expanded the selection. That would be the closest thing to a complete PRS product line under one roof I've seen outside of the factory.

Last edited:
You are KILLING me, man. On my short list of "ain't happening anytime soon" stuff, a 1960 cab with those greenbacks are screaming at me. It's the only serious cabinet type that I'm missing. And I'll admit it...I had no idea Fender made a Deluxe head. WANT WANT WANT!!! (my wallet just puckered) :eek:

If/when PRS has another event, and if Martysnarf lets the insane asylum congregate at his place again, I may drive and bring some gear. We helped his foundation settle with at-volume sessions with his Sweet 16, 2 Channel C and Bob's HXDA, which was a good analysis of Doug Sewell's recent work. Had I known that the Cornucopia of Cacophony (aka Aristotle's warehouse) was so close we would have expanded the selection. That would be the closest thing to a complete PRS product line under one roof I've seen outside of the factory.

Any time you're in town! I've snagged Martysmarf's 2-channel C, have the HX/DA, the DG30, MDT and Archon. Also have about a dozen PRS guitars in the wharehouse. All about 4 miles from Martysnarf's place. Just name the time.

Any time you're in town! I've snagged Martysmarf's 2-channel C, have the HX/DA, the DG30, MDT and Archon. Also have about a dozen PRS guitars in the wharehouse. All about 4 miles from Martysnarf's place. Just name the time.

Woman is leaving town for week plus in June. I was wondering who I should visit...MD time baby!!!

Back