Pickup bobbin cloth

John_D

Hi all, my first post here so go easy on me ;-)

I am lucky enough to have a couple of PRS's - a 20th Anniversary Standard 24 (it's amazing but very very heavy) and a CU22 stop-tail that is without fault except -

the material/cloth that is wrapped around the bobbin on the bridge pickup. Where my right hand rests, the material is kind of in the way and particularly when playing 'acoustically' it makes an annoying scratchy sound and feeling and it's starting to really grate with me. I don't really notice it when amplified but a lot of the time plugging in isn't an option.

I'm reluctant to cut it away for fear of damaging the pickup itself. Am I being too fussy? Should I just suck it up?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

thanks

Welcome John_D,

I have a Standard 22 just 2 years older than yours. I'ts not any heavier (within normal veriation) than other PRSi, I wonder what is up with yours?

For the bobbin cloth, it should not be in your way. It is likely it has come partially loose from the pickup. I would try double sided sticky tape or a good glue. you can desolder the cover and after the re-gluing you can solder it back with no harm if you don't get the back of the pup hot enough to melt the wax. A good tipped soldering iron right at the interface of the cover and back will do it.

Thanks AP515, that sounds like a job for someone waaaaay more skilled than me, if I've understood you right.

The pickup is already an uncovered (open) HFS with zebra bobbins. If I take the p/up out, can I just remove the cloth and re-wrap it with a little glue to secure it? I have visions of removing the cloth and all the windings spilling all over the floor!

Sorry for my technical newbyness, I've never replaced a pickup in my life even though I've been playing for 30 years!

Thanks AP515, that sounds like a job for someone waaaaay more skilled than me, if I've understood you right.

The pickup is already an uncovered (open) HFS with zebra bobbins. If I take the p/up out, can I just remove the cloth and re-wrap it with a little glue to secure it? I have visions of removing the cloth and all the windings spilling all over the floor!

Sorry, I assumed the Cu22 had Dragon 2's which were covered. This is even easier. As gball said, just take the pup out and either retape it (which is better) or just tape the old one back in place.

Excellent, I'll try to find a uk shop for some tape then. Thanks very much for the info, I'm sure I'll be back soon for some more:)

Back