Pickguard

Joseph Hanna

I've been gigging with my Angelus full time now for about 8 or 9 weeks. Although I don't use a flat pick I do use finger-picks. I'm gettin some fairly serious, what I'd call dents, probably from the tips of the metal first and second finger picks. I'm decidedly NOT a careless or rough right hander but the dents are obvious and the implications seem to be if I'm gonna gig with this guitar I'm gonna have to do something.

I took it to my repair guy and he was very hesitant to go with a clear pick--guard (my first choice) as he felt at this point it would highlight the dents. That leaves of course some sort of tortaloid-ish pick-guard.

Thoughts on putting a pick-guard on an Angelus???

If you're the kind of player who hits the relatively soft spruce top with a plektrum or fingerpick, you're going to have to do something or your guitar will eventually look like Willie's #1 (Trigger).

If you're the kind of player who hits the relatively soft spruce top with a plektrum or fingerpick, you're going to have to do something or your guitar will eventually look like Willie's #1 (Trigger).

The top and finish does seem to be particularly soft. As I said I have pretty good control of my right hand. I'm definitely not flailing by any stretch, yet there is clearly some noticeable wear already. A year of this and I'd wear to the wood for sure.

The finish of course is nitro so I have to be somewhat concerned with a pick-guards materials and ugly reactions. There also of course is the fairly scary prospect of picking an appropriate shape (although I'm leaning towards the Martin OM tear drop), what it might do to the value of the instrument (although I haven't sold an acoustic I've owned in over 30 years) and what it might do to the aesthetics which I really, really like as is.

Just looking for ideas, comments, products and suggestions I suppose...

If you want a very general idea of how a pick guard might look, Collings makes a small-waisted SJ model that's fairly similar in shape to the Angelus, but without a cutaway, and it has a nice-looking pick guard. Collings uses a nitro top coat as well, though they have a poly base coat. I don't know how or if the pick guard affects the finish.

But before I'd mess with it, I'd call the PTC and see what they recommend. I'm betting they'll have some ideas.

Here's a nice article on making a wooden pick guard: http://sixgunguitars.com/pick_guard_making.html

Finally, I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a simple wooden pick guard that simply clamps onto the sound hole, has some padding or material to protect the surface of the top, and can be removed whenever it's desirable to do so?

Last edited:
I have a Tonare that I bought recently with a lot of pick scratches. I cannot find any info on what exactly the finish is; does anyone know for sure? It's a 2009 if that helps.

Thanks!

I believe that all of the Tonares are finished in nitro. Pick scratches that aren't deep should buff out but be forewarned: use a nitro-safe polish. If they're deep, you're going to have a hard time polishing them out by hand, but my guess is that the PTC can fix you up.

If I recall, Sadowsky makes a polish that is safe for nitro.

Just confirmed from Shawn at the PTC that the finish is nitrocellulose for the acoustics, not the V12. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back