Paul, Dragons, Crab Cakes, Stevensville, OH MY!

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
This pic was taken at the first "PRS Forum Event" in Stevensville. I think it was the year 2000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There were 35 or so of us at this first gathering. Paul and the factory staff didn't really know what to expect. This was the catalyst for what became the PRS Experience once the company took the reins. He passed that guitar around earlier in the day when he was giving a talk/overview of the company. The BRW neck rings like a grand piano! Anyway, let's hope next year, being the 40th Anniversary, brings a colossal celebration at the home base!
Kwb99c6.jpg

This pic was taken at the first "PRS Forum Event" in Stevensville. I think it was the year 2000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There were 35 or so of us at this first gathering. Paul and the factory staff didn't really know what to expect. This was the catalyst for what became the PRS Experience once the company took the reins. He passed that guitar around earlier in the day when he was giving a talk/overview of the company. The BRW neck rings like a grand piano! Anyway, let's hope next year, being the 40th Anniversary, brings a colossal celebration at the home base!
Kwb99c6.jpg
That was such an awesome weekend.

I remember that evening. The setting sun in your shot perfectly captures the room at that point. I vaguely remember spending most of my time talking to Brian from Chuck’s because of course my favorite “dealer” had my attention, and also not really knowing what to do with myself in a room full of people I’d only talked to on the internet prior. I even skipped the tour because of it. It was surreal to say the least. And poor Sarah was off sitting in the corner of the room reading a book, and humoring me the best she could. Haha.

Each of those early events were strange and magical in their own way. I’ve yet to go to any of the Experience events. Been ages since I’ve been back to the factory, but will be up in Annapolis one day this week for unrelated reasons.

Mark, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!

Experience ‘25, build it and they will come.

Man, I hope so. Perfect timing for the 35th. I always missed out on the events for one reason or another... now my time and finances are in a much better spot to attend. The only limiting factor is there's usually a charity event that I like to attend that happens on the even years, same weekend, so if they did it for '25, it'd be a ringer. My wife's sister and her husband live in DC, so she's already all geared up to go if it happens.

Now, if one of you jerks tells her how much our bank account stands to lose at said event, we're not friends anymore.

Same event. 2001 at the Beach Club in Stevensville. I had just won the 10-top Singlecut as the Grand Door prize. PRSs new model! Pre-lawsuit! Still have it, too. Great guitar. The natural CU22 has since moved on. (Notice the PRS Forum TRC). Show up with one guitar and leave with 2! All of those early get togethers were really memorable, this one especially so…

IMG-0453.jpg

I remember that evening. The setting sun in your shot perfectly captures the room at that point. I vaguely remember spending most of my time talking to Brian from Chuck’s because of course my favorite “dealer” had my attention, and also not really knowing what to do with myself in a room full of people I’d only talked to on the internet prior. I even skipped the tour because of it. It was surreal to say the least. And poor Sarah was off sitting in the corner of the room reading a book, and humoring me the best she could. Haha.

Each of those early events were strange and magical in their own way. I’ve yet to go to any of the Experience events. Been ages since I’ve been back to the factory, but will be up in Annapolis one day this week for unrelated reasons.

Mark, thanks for the trip down Memory Lane!
Eric "Bunch a' numbers"!!! Where have you been?

I finally found my pics from that event! These are my pics from the first one...
PRS Tour0011.jpg

PRS Tour0015.jpg

PRS Tour0016.jpg

Later that night, Paul handed me his Dragon I, in it's gig bag, telling me "I have to use the bathroom, I'll be right back..."
45 minutes later, when he still hadn't returned (he was out and about, making the rounds), I was seriously thinking, "Well, I guess this is my guitar now..." :rolleyes:

I am like a roach I suppose. Always kinda hanging around in the shadows under a cab somewhere.

Hard to totally disappear as the whole PRS thing been under my skin for 30 years now.

I realized the other day I ordered my first PRS (a green Custom 22 with gold HW, birds, etc in ‘94) and after some hard days came along and the massive purge of guitars in 2010, I’ve had a few come and go since. Generally if the McCarty variety.

Can never quite be rid of them. Or you, me. Haha.

Good to see you still kicking around!

I finally found my pics from that event! These are my pics from the first one...
View attachment 12381

View attachment 12382

View attachment 12383

Later that night, Paul handed me his Dragon I, in it's gig bag, telling me "I have to use the bathroom, I'll be right back..."
45 minutes later, when he still hadn't returned (he was out and about, making the rounds), I was seriously thinking, "Well, I guess this is my guitar now..." :rolleyes:
I’m in the bottom row, last on the right, wearing a tan sweatshirt, with the HG-70 head!
Great memories.

These are great photos. Thanks for posting.

"Paul and the factory staff didn't really know what to expect." - Yeah, I bet no one did. Hard to imagine what it would grow into.

=K

Back