Open Mike Nite

IKnowALittle

I was sitting around tonite, watching (kinda) football and bored out of my mind.
All the commercials had turned my brain to mush, then I saw one for NCR with Loverboy.
Wow, that like totally fried my mind. Guys, have some pride. Mike Reno looked 1003 years old.

Anywho, on the advice of a friend, I went down to a local open mike. Took my trusty Yamaha APX20. I've played a lot of acoustic/electric guitars in my time, but this is the best.

So I signed up, listened to a lot of really earnest guys and gals spilling their heart out. Lots of it was good, some, not so much. For a Sunday nite, the place was packed, and it wasn't small.

I was supposed to play two songs, ended up playin' six. This is what I did.

1. Faro's Rag. No-one knew who John Renbourn was, but seemed to be enjoyed.

2. Susanne by Leonard Cohen (The original Dark Knight).

This is when I decided that if these people want dark, desperate, hopeless songs (which I'm an expert at), I would show them the "real deal."

3. Please See That My Grave Is Kept Clean. Blind Lemon Jefferson.

4. Waitin' Around To Die. Towns Van Zant.

5. Desperados Waitin' For A Train. Guy Clark.

6. To lighten the mood ... Walkin' The Strings by Merle Travis. I've worked out some "Merle Shred", which I like. Seemed to go over OK.

The audience was all young people in their 20's and early 30's. They seemed to like what I did and I ended up backing up some other people, which was cool. Hopefully, I turned a couple of heads to the roots of the music that they enjoy and I was encouraged that this music might not shrivel on the vine and die. To be fair, this was an alt-roots bar.

As an aside, who knew that Danny Partridge was such an awesome guitarist. Play it LOUD!!

OK. Certain that I have worn out my welcome ... Signin' off.

Last edited:
"Waiting Around to Die" is a great one. Whitey Morgan did a gritty and dark cover version.

Yeah. Thx man.
Never heard of Whitey before. Now I have a bunch of his songs on my touch.
Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar is my first and last love. I've been feelin' it slippin' away from me, so the last year or so, I've been hittin' it hard.
Doin' ok with it ... amazing what an hour a day of focused practice and consistency will do.
if u like this fingerstyle stuff as accompaniment check out a guy named blaze foley.
cheers!

Last edited:
You have them a delightful mix of music!

Your "Danny Partridge" Is Dan Donato of Nashville, a monster guitarist. He's the latest in a long string of fabulous guitar players to occupy the guitar chair in Don Kelley's band; the list includes JD Simo, Guthrie Trapp, Redd Volkaert, and Johnny Hiland - a very impressive list.

Back