On Pounding Different Nails With One Hammer

Used to think I wasn't a singlecut guy, but the PRS models are just too good to deny. Every time
I play one I'm more and more impressed.

I've been playing them off and on since the original Singlecut came out at the very beginning of 2000; I bought the first two sent to dealers in my area right away. I've also had SC58, Stripped 58, SC245, SC Trem, and now the McCarty Singlecut I call The Hammer Of The Gods.

With a chunk o' wood that's thicker than other models, each one tends to have a very definite personality. This is a characteristic that I've found very appealing. Most have a throaty quality that nothing else in the PRS lineup can deliver.

Did I mention the sustain? Yeah, you know, Spinal Tap kind of sustain.

With 2 volumes and 2 tone controls, plus the 3-way, you can find an infinite number of combinations that can take you pretty much wherever you want to go. I've proved this to myself time and again, and the current project I'm working on was more proof, since it's the first time I've had one and haven't had anything else in the stable. So I had to get creative, it wasn't an option!

While the look of a guitar is of course subjective, I'm a sucker for that classic look. And I love having that 3 way switch on the upper bout where I can simply glance down and remind myself where I am.

They're not only too good to deny, if you step outside the tone box folks sometimes want to put them in, you'll find a tremendous variety of tone. Especially with the PRS models.

Being a studio player, the weight isn't a concern.

Last edited:
I hope that you...um...y'know...cleaned them up after you did that...
Per MartySnarf (at Markie's request), a visquene plastic drop cloth can be used to protect the floor, but there's nothing you can do about the guitar. Don't shine a black light on that thing. :eek:

Sweet Sixteen

I too am using one guitar for the many sounds that I use in my studio. This CU 24 Ltd is my pride and joy. This axe with the ten top does everything I need it to do. Not to say I wouldn't love to grab another, its just not practical right now. And has been stated by many on this thread that working the settings, style of play and even the layout of the room can bring so many subtle differences to the sounds coming out of this guitar. There is also a really cool story behind the name Sweet Sixteen.

Dave
From Edmonton

IMG_0026_zps6de3fe38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I too am using one guitar for the many sounds that I use in my studio. This CU 24 Ltd is my pride and joy. This axe with the ten top does everything I need it to do. Not to say I wouldn't love to grab another, its just not practical right now. And has been stated by many on this thread that working the settings, style of play and even the layout of the room can bring so many subtle differences to the sounds coming out of this guitar. There is also a really cool story behind the name Sweet Sixteen.

Dave
From Edmonton

IMG_0026_zps6de3fe38.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another beauty!

Very sweet, Dave! You get it!

Love to hear the story behind the name. Do tell!

The Ballad of Sweet Sixteen

Two years ago, my darling wife said for Xmas, go get the guitar of your dreams. It was obvious that the only thing she saw two seconds later ere the bottoms of my feet heading out the door before she changed her mind. This started my odyssey of high end guitars. Fortunately music stores in my area had a nice return policy if unsatisfied. I started with a nice Les Paul standard but couldn't keep it in tune (I have since learned the joys of nut juice). I decided that if I was going to pay that much for a guitar it should stay in tune. I then move to some custom shop fenders and loved the heck out of those.

At one point I had the Gilmour Black Fender NOS at home for a month or so. It was a great guitar but not the one. Over the next 12 months or so went back and forth between Fender Custom Shops and Gibsons. Tried the SGs, the Customs and a deluxe or two but never found the one. One day at Avenue Music here in Edmonton, I tried the PRS you see pictured. It was love a first sight and have never heard another guitar sound anywhere as good (in my humble ears' opinion).

To make long story short, it was the sixteenth guitar I auditioned. Thanks to my lovely wife and her endless amount of patience, I found the one. I ordered up an electrostatic decal to celebrate and put it on the guitar knowing that it would not damage the finish.

As well, it was a learning process for me. I thought, after playing guitars for over 50 years that I knew a thing or two. Turns out I was right I only knew a couple of things about guitars. I am much more knowledgeable now after this journey and can't wait to start a new one. One other thing that learned is that the next guitar will have the same written signature on the headstock. Thank you Mr. Paul Reed Smith, thank you for making a guitar for me.

Dave from Edmonton

The Ballad of Sweet Sixteen

Two years ago, my darling wife said for Xmas, go get the guitar of your dreams. It was obvious that the only thing she saw two seconds later ere the bottoms of my feet heading out the door before she changed her mind. This started my odyssey of high end guitars. Fortunately music stores in my area had a nice return policy if unsatisfied. I started with a nice Les Paul standard but couldn't keep it in tune (I have since learned the joys of nut juice). I decided that if I was going to pay that much for a guitar it should stay in tune. I then move to some custom shop fenders and loved the heck out of those.

At one point I had the Gilmour Black Fender NOS at home for a month or so. It was a great guitar but not the one. Over the next 12 months or so went back and forth between Fender Custom Shops and Gibsons. Tried the SGs, the Customs and a deluxe or two but never found the one. One day at Avenue Music here in Edmonton, I tried the PRS you see pictured. It was love a first sight and have never heard another guitar sound anywhere as good (in my humble ears' opinion).

To make long story short, it was the sixteenth guitar I auditioned. Thanks to my lovely wife and her endless amount of patience, I found the one. I ordered up an electrostatic decal to celebrate and put it on the guitar knowing that it would not damage the finish.

As well, it was a learning process for me. I thought, after playing guitars for over 50 years that I knew a thing or two. Turns out I was right I only knew a couple of things about guitars. I am much more knowledgeable now after this journey and can't wait to start a new one. One other thing that learned is that the next guitar will have the same written signature on the headstock. Thank you Mr. Paul Reed Smith, thank you for making a guitar for me.

Dave from Edmonton

Nice story! I especially liked the part where it took you all of two seconds to get out the door! :rofl:

Hey Chris, REALLY Happy this found it way to YOUR HANDS!!!
JD

It's the molestation part that has me a little worried for the guitar's sake... ;)

Seriously Chris, I knew you'd tested one out, but didn't know you bought it!

Pretty darn great guitars!

Nice story! I especially liked the part where it took you all of two seconds to get out the door! :rofl:

The part that didn't go over well with my wife, was he part about starting another journey to NGD land.

Back