Old but Gold

Tonart

Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?
Just captured this beautiful picture of my 57/08 limited McCarty and wanted to share it. Can’t believe this thing is already 15 years old! Peruvian Mahogany neck, nice marbly quilt, Cranberry stain, hollow birds and tone that is unlike any other McCarty or indeed any other PRS guitar I’ve come across hence. This guitar is one that makes me believe in wood (and that statement is true in more ways than one).
BSKNGfM.jpeg

Just captured this beautiful picture of my 57/08 limited McCarty and wanted to share it. Can’t believe this thing is already 15 years old! Peruvian Mahogany neck, nice marbly quilt, Cranberry stain, hollow birds and tone that is unlike any other McCarty or indeed any other PRS guitar I’ve come across hence. This guitar is one that makes me believe in wood (and that statement is true in more ways than one).
BSKNGfM.jpeg
Nice

Technically, I have no idea :) I suspect it may be a bit denser than typical African Mahogany.

But empirically, I have both an acoustic (McManus) and an electric (PS DC594) with the Dark Peruvian Mahogany neck and they have a great tone to them. More oomph, clarity and sustain than other variants of Mahogany necks I’ve tried over the years. If I were to order a PS guitar with a Mahogany neck (acoustic or electric), I would specify Peruvian Mahogany based on my experience.

How is that different than regular mahogany? Just curious
From the little I know, it’s more dense than regular mahogany apparently. That said, the term mahogany is very loosely used nowadays and could mean so many species and varieties that it becomes a little meaningless when one sees the term “mahogany”.

There’s only two genuine mahogany species apparently - Honduran Mahogany and Cuban Mahogany, each identified by their specific scientific names.

But whatever it is, the “Peruvian Mahogany” on this guitar sure stands out in tone! This wood is only available on Private Stock guitars nowadays so it was sort of a steal at that time to get it on a Core limited run.

Or it could be the body wood. Who knows! 🤪

But the funny thing is I have two of these guitars, and both have that same distinct tone!

Here’s the other one. Same distinct tonal character with a much more pronounced low end and an inherent “fatness” to it, meaning that classic Les Paul dirty rock tone on a simple open A chord.

The first one was so good I decided to get a second! 😄
rrwMZvs.jpeg

Technically, I have no idea :) I suspect it may be a bit denser than typical African Mahogany.

But empirically, I have both an acoustic (McManus) and an electric (PS DC594) with the Dark Peruvian Mahogany neck and they have a great tone to them. More oomph, clarity and sustain than other variants of Mahogany necks I’ve tried over the years. If I were to order a PS guitar with a Mahogany neck (acoustic or electric), I would specify Peruvian Mahogany based on my experience.
From the little I know, it’s more dense than regular mahogany apparently. That said, the term mahogany is very loosely used nowadays and could mean so many species and varieties that it becomes a little meaningless when one sees the term “mahogany”.

There’s only two genuine mahogany species apparently - Honduran Mahogany and Cuban Mahogany, each identified by their specific scientific names.

But whatever it is, the “Peruvian Mahogany” on this guitar sure stands out in tone! This wood is only available on Private Stock guitars nowadays so it was sort of a steal at that time to get it on a Core limited run.

Or it could be the body wood. Who knows! 🤪

But the funny thing is I have two of these guitars, and both have that same distinct tone!
My former Artist V and my current 30th Anniversary CU24 PS have Peruvian mahogany necks. The Peruvian mahogany necks share a lively, responsive, tone that "rings for days."

I made a bad call selling the Artist V, and won't make that mistake again with the CU24 PS, which I have a hard time believing has been here for nearly 9 years. Time really flies these days, doesn't it?

My former Artist V and my current 30th Anniversary CU24 PS have Peruvian mahogany necks. The Peruvian mahogany necks share a lively, responsive, tone that "rings for days."

I made a bad call selling the Artist V, and won't make that mistake again with the CU24 PS, which I have a hard time believing has been here for nearly 9 years. Time really flies these days, doesn't it?
I got my first PRS 10 years ago. It’s been a blink!

Back