NuGD.....all due to you fine folks!

bodia

Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved
All this talk about the original Dragon pickups got in my head. I've never had them, other than when @gush was cool enough to lend me a guitar with a set. Everything I've had from the 90s was not D1 loaded. So, I went looking. Managed to find a '94 CE22 with D1s. Offered $1,350 and was accepted. A fair price, in my mind. For a 30 year old guitar, it is in very good shape. Lots of buckle rash on the back. Other than that, just a couple of chips on the edge of the body. It's Metallic Blue, and very dark. You have to look close, with good light, to see the Metallic bits. I've also never owned a CE22, so I can check that box. Original owner swapped the rotary for a 3 way. Original rotary is in the case, so I will likely put it back in, at some point. No sexy outside in the sun pics because it's not a looker!

Jp8ImLo.jpg

5HwUwyg.jpg

82S6fVM.jpg

HvkGcZS.jpg

6SDk3Ft.jpg

YES!!! What a beauty. The color might be Pearl Black. I kinda remember that color having a blue tint to it.
Welcome to the ways of D1 and Phase 1 awesomeness.
What neck shape did it come with?
The previous owner really went out of their way to f-up those tuners. No excuse for that.:mad::rolleyes::p:D
OH! BTW, that IS a looker!

Last edited:
YES!!! What a beauty. The color might be Pearl Black. I kinda remember that color having a blue tint to it.
The previous owner really went out of their way to f-up those tuners. No excuse for that.:mad::rolleyes::p:D
Dunno that the Phase 1's are all that awesome. Compared to newer designs, they're a bit of a PITA. Looks like the previous owner couldn't figure them out either.

BUT...that guitar is a great find. Congratulations!

Personally, I would put the original 5 way rotary back in.

You'll have to plug the 1/2" hole first. I bought a 1/2" dowel and then cut a piece off about the thickness of the top. I shaped it and got the thickness right with sandpaper until it was level with the inside and outside surface of the guitar and then glued it in with gap filling super glue.

I let the glue set overnight (don't rush it) and then drilled it for the 3/8" shaft of the rotary switch.

When i put it all together no one would have ever known.

Now, about those pickups...

Hopefully you're loving them!

I don't think there's a better pickup than the Dragon 1 Treble for 80's style rock.

You know: Boston, EVH, Queen...Arena Rock with smoking guitar solos that sound like anthems. Also good for Santana tone.

The neck pickup is cool too and almost the opposite of the bridge. It's an 8K alnico 4 PAF basically, based on the '59 Gibson PAF.

Last edited:
Dunno that the Phase 1's are all that awesome. Compared to newer designs, they're a bit of a PITA. Looks like the previous owner couldn't figure them out either.

You'll have to plug the 1/2" hole first. I bought a 1/2" dowel and then cut a piece off about the thickness of the top. I shaped it and got the thickness right with sandpaper until it was level with the inside and outside surface of the guitar and then glued it in with gap filling super glue.

I let the glue set overnight (don't rush it) and then drilled it for the 3/8" shaft of the rotary switch.

I don't think there's a better pickup than the Dragon 1 Treble for 80's style rock.

You know: Boston, EVH, Queen...Arena Rock with smoking guitar solos that sound like anthems. Also good for Santana tone.

The neck pickup is cool too and almost the opposite of the bridge. It's an 8K alnico 4 PAF basically, based on the '59 Gibson PAF.
If you’ve used the Phase 1’s for DECADES, they are awesome. Ease of use doesn’t necessarily make something better.;)

You know, after looking at some pics of Pearl Black, it could be that. Pretty sure it's WT.

Thanks for the advice!

Back