Not Seeing Custom 22's On The Main Core Instrument Page

We can look at this one while we wait :D

39058220580_b3bc0b1340_h.jpg

I've owned them and liked them, but the body isn't thick enough to give me the sound I really want.

Lacks bass and depth.

Much prefer the SC58. Or a Bernie Marsden after a pickup swap.

They’re as thick as a Les Paul.

Last edited:
The McCarty (non-594) and the Special 22 are effectively covering that market now. The traditional CU22 was seen as redundant and probably wasn't generating a whole lot of sales. "We stop making them when you stop buying them."

The McCarty (non-594) and the Special 22 are effectively covering that market now. The traditional CU22 was seen as redundant and probably wasn't generating a whole lot of sales. "We stop making them when you stop buying them."
true. Have a mccarty HT and CU22 HT. Both great guitars and if not for the PUs (HB and P90) they are in the same ballpark.

It Will Be Back...What You Are Seeing With The Custom 22 And Its Disappearance Is The Marketing Wizardry Of Paul Himself. He Will Always Take Away A Model Or A Color And Then Bring It Back To Create More Sales And Hype. He Is The Master At It.

Last edited:
It Will Be Back...What You Are Seeing With The Custom 22 And Its Disappearance Is The Marketing Wizardry Of Paul Himself. He Will Always Take Away A Model Or A Color And Then Bring It Back To Create More Sales And Hype. He Is The Master At It.
While I don't necessarily agree about wizardry or promo skills, it seems that Paul responds to the fashion of the day when it comes to what's on offer.

While I don't necessarily agree about wizardry or promo skills, it seems that Paul responds to the fashion of the day when it comes to what's on offer.
Oh Come On Man...You Know Paul Is Always Doing Some New Take On Something To Keep The "New" Hype Going Or Taking Away Something Only To Bring It Back Later And Generate More Sales. He Has Done It Over And Over Again. I Don't Fault Him For It...It's Genius. I Am Simply Surprised More People Don't See It.

Edit: Colors...Models...All Quickly Come To Mind

I've owned them and liked them, but the body isn't thick enough to give me the sound I really want.

Lacks bass and depth.

Much prefer the SC58. Or a Bernie Marsden after a pickup swap.

They’re as thick as a Les Paul.
Smart man here. This is why you get a Custom “22/24” Fatback, a piezo custom, a 594, any singlecut, dgt, or a McCarty.

I have one regular custom 24 and it’s because it’s under 7lbs! It had the pattern neck, so it sounds a bit in the fat side and super resonant!

Funny, I find the SC models to be on the massive side for myself. I much prefer the sleek feeling of the thinner customs. However somehow the DC mccarty is just fine, and that one is as thick as the SCs if I am correct.

Maybe it is the SC shape that makes it too big for me.

Back