Non 10 Top quilts/wood library?

Non standard wood combos pretty much are all WL. Like a 594 with a swamp ash back and maple neck. Doesn’t necessarily have to have a higher graded top. Hence why you see some opaque colors on some. I’ve seen several dealers like Brian’s and Ish do runs like this. A chance to do something a little out of the norm. Probably a few one offs and sprayer’s choice out there too.

Quilt tops have come and gone with how available it happens to be at any given time.

I guess I’m answering my own question but just looking up PRS Quilt on reverb there are loads of non 10 tops. Not standard, but they’re available.

I’ve heard quilt is getting more and more rare, which is why it takes a WL build to get it. Occasionally a top sneaks out in a non-WL build that might be somewhere between quilt and flame.
Curious, care to share source?

Curious, care to share source?

Due to the lack of supply, Artist grade quilt is only available through Wood Library. Private Stock grade quilt, like the guitar shown above, is still available through Private Stock.

This was a handful of years ago and not exactly the same top grade in question but you can't sell what you don't have.

I've been in one of the wood suppliers for PRS and found maybe less than 10% of the maple they had big enough for tops was quilted. It was also quite expensive.

On a similar note, I believe the option to have a rosewood neck was discontinued on a core model a while back.

This was a handful of years ago and not exactly the same top grade in question but you can't sell what you don't have.

I've been in one of the wood suppliers for PRS and found maybe less than 10% of the maple they had big enough for tops was quilted. It was also quite expensive.

On a similar note, I believe the option to have a rosewood neck was discontinued on a core model a while back.

You mean non WL cores with rosewood necks? I think they’re available with WL.

You mean non WL cores with rosewood necks? I think they’re available with WL.

Right. You used to be able to order a core custom 24 with the options of 10 top (flame or quilt), gold hardware, and a rosewood neck and in late 2010 you had a choice between 5 way rotary/5 way blade/ or McCarty switching.

I'm not sure exactly when the rosewood option went away on cores.

Moore guitars told me they discontinued the artist pack program and they said it was due to a lack of wood. IMHO i just think it was because theres such a small difference between artist and private grade tops and if you're building custom artist packs then its kind of like delivering a budget private stock.

Back