NGD

Absolutely beautiful!!! Big congrats, that's stunning.

I have to agree, the 85/15TM pickups are incredible, my new favorite pickup. Also, Autumn Sky is one of my favorite stains PRS does (don't really see too many of them these days). On that quilt, it really actually does look like an autumn sky on a cloudy day.

I used this on a track in the studio - a kind of pop punk type of thing @ 155BPM. The idea was to keep a live feel on the song. It's one my singer and I wrote in 1994, and we revisited for a bit of fun...

Anyway, I was limiting myself to one stereo guitar track, played in one pass - totally live. In the Helix I used a model based on a Trainwreck amp with two IRs sent to separate outs. The left IR was kept dry, the right had a reverb block placed after the IR. I originally tracked this with my SC245, and it was cool, but mixing the song was a little too much of a hassle. It was either too loud or too buried. What I needed was a guitar that had some "twang" in the tone. I tried my Esquire. It had the twang, but it was too much!! The lead sounded "off". Today when I revisited the song, I figured I'd try the WL....

HOLY MOLY!!!!!

The twang quotient was PERFECT!!!! Using the Trainwreck model with the WL on the bridge pickup gave me a tone that sat in the mix exactly as I needed it to. The guitar slices through the bass and drums, the lead sustains just right - which was crucial since I was doing the take live in a single pass. The rhythm had to have enough clarity not to wash out, but there needed to be enough sustain for me to play the lead. The 58/15LT pickups provided what I needed!!! YAY!

Man, I can't wait to take this guitar on some sessions. I have nothing on the books until after the holidays. Too bad, lol!!! Good to know this one is more than just a pretty face!!!

Back