NGD Zach Myers SE not too happy so I’m sending it back for another. Would love some opinions!

I agree with others - unless your lighting is simply atrocious for the pics you took, the Sweetwater pics seem to mis-represent how balanced that bookmatching is.

Let's be clear that this is not a QC issue. Looks are subjective, wood is a natural product, blah blah blah.

Totally agree the Sweetwater glamour shots didn't give a realistic expectation in this case and don't blame you for returning it.

The more I look at these photos, I find that it’s the lack of contrast in the left hand side of the body that is bothering me.

I appreciate that a book-matched veneer will have differences, but it’s odd that the Trampas Green seems to highlight the differences more obviously than some of the other stains.

It’s strange that the SW photos show the top being pretty must balanced in contrast. They must have flooded a lot of light into those photos.

It’s almost like the right hand side of the top has washed out. Very strange.

I don’t care how they frame it, Sweetwater’s not like a great guitar store, no matter how many cute pictures they put up on their website. It’s a big box place. It’s GC with (sometimes) better service or selection.

Mics? Sure. Synths? Well, OK. Recording gear? Fine. They’re widgets. No selection process required. One U87 is going to sound (and look) exactly like the next U87. So they’re fine for that.

I’ve got nothing against Sweetwater, and have been a customer of theirs for since way back in the 80s when they only had Kurzweils and Kurzweil patches. But there are dealers here who really, really get it, who’ll tell you honestly the pros and cons, and some will even do a clip of the guitar you’re interested in. And the better dealers will jump through hoops to make a customer happy, and deal directly with PRS on your behalf, no long waits for them to get back to you. So their service is superior.

Just sayin’.

I don’t care how they frame it, Sweetwater’s not like a great guitar store, no matter how many cute pictures they put up on their website. It’s a big box place. It’s GC with (sometimes) better service or selection.

Mics? Sure. Synths? Well, OK. Recording gear? Fine. They’re widgets. No selection process required. One U87 is going to sound (and look) exactly like the next U87. So they’re fine for that.

I’ve got nothing against Sweetwater, and have been a customer of theirs for since way back in the 80s when they only had Kurzweils and Kurzweil patches. But there are dealers here who really, really get it, who’ll tell you honestly the pros and cons, and some will even do a clip of the guitar you’re interested in. And the better dealers will jump through hoops to make a customer happy, and deal directly with PRS on your behalf, no long waits for them to get back to you. So their service is superior.

Just sayin’.

Totally agree. I've bought a bunch of stuff from SW in the past, and still do. I have been fortunate to have a good rep, who seems to know his stuff, and communicates really well. He must do something right as he just got promoted. But, if I'm buying a new guitar, I'm calling one of the many premium PRS dealers to get it done. It's that really, really getting it that Les referred to.

Like shimmilou said, it's not QC, and it's not SW, it's just the angle of the grain. I've had Artist package guitars do a similar thing though maybe not as dramatic. My SE Angelus acoustic does it too as do many others with the spruce tops. As has been said, if it bugs you , get another one, but don't suggest it's a flaw, it's just what happens sometimes with quarter sawn wood.

I'm pretty sure it's the same guitar (but with some impressive lighting skills from the SW team.) Does the serial number match the the serial on the SW pic?
Yeah the SN matches on both. It’s the same I believe based on getting different angles and a lot of direct lighting I can get it to show up match the flames to the SW pictures. It’s just not realistic lighting you’d find in everyday life.

I agree with others - unless your lighting is simply atrocious for the pics you took, the Sweetwater pics seem to mis-represent how balanced that bookmatching is.
I checked it in a couple rooms and outside. I mean I have typical lights you’d have in a house. I don’t have like a special studio room with lighting for professional pictures but I wouldn’t say I have abnormal lighting for a home. It’s really interesting to think about now though as I’ve always thought it was a big plus to get the studio pictures from SW. now I know not to really trust these.

Like shimmilou said, it's not QC, and it's not SW, it's just the angle of the grain. I've had Artist package guitars do a similar thing though maybe not as dramatic. My SE Angelus acoustic does it too as do many others with the spruce tops. As has been said, if it bugs you , get another one, but don't suggest it's a flaw, it's just what happens sometimes with quarter sawn wood.
Could you elaborate a little more on this? I’d honestly like to know what causes this.

Let's be clear that this is not a QC issue. Looks are subjective, wood is a natural product, blah blah blah.

Totally agree the Sweetwater glamour shots didn't give a realistic expectation in this case and don't blame you for returning it.
So would you say a lot of PRS guitars look like this? I always hear so many positive things about there finishes but the tons of people saying they hate this one confuses me. I am worried I’m going to get another that has this issue or be unable to get one because they all look like this.

Could you elaborate a little more on this? I’d honestly like to know what causes this.
Sure, look at this acoustic photo:
prsseangcupu_1.jpg

The light hits the two pieces of wood at an angle that reflects differently depending on the way the wood was cut. Since they come from a book match, the angles are 45 degrees out from each other. That puts the grain 90 degrees from each other, the worst for lighting. Most times the cut does not line up exactly with the wood grain and so it doesn't show up so prominently. When it does you get a dramatic difference like on yours. Ironically, the closer to perfection you get the cut to the wood grain, the more different they look.

It wasn't so hard for SW to get a photo that minimizes it. Just turn the guitar until the lighting reflects on both sides about the same but it is only good for that angle. Most other angles the difference shows up.

Last edited:
Yeah the SN matches on both. It’s the same I believe based on getting different angles and a lot of direct lighting I can get it to show up match the flames to the SW pictures. It’s just not realistic lighting you’d find in everyday life.
All I can say is that my McCarty looked great on the SW pics, and it looked even better in the flesh.

This is a bummer though. But I'm sure SW will make good for you.

Just sayin’.

Not sure how you can compare SW to GC, they are worlds apart, SW beating GC in service, selection, and very knowledgeable staff. SW is a great guitar store, and they more than "get it" about guitars and amps, and just about anything they sell. SW is top notch in my book, and one of their best features is to show pics the exact guitar you are getting. If you're not happy with a SW purchase, they have an excellent return policy, can't do much better than that. ;)

Not sure how you can compare SW to GC, they are worlds apart, SW beating GC in service, selection, and very knowledgeable staff. SW is a great guitar store, and they more than "get it" about guitars and amps, and just about anything they sell. SW is top notch in my book, and one of their best features is to show pics the exact guitar you are getting. If you're not happy with a SW purchase, they have an excellent return policy, can't do much better than that. ;)

I completely agree. I think that Sweetwater has found the perfect middle ground in this age of e-commerce. They have the extensive product selection and inventory that a smaller independent store could never realistically maintain, while having knowledgeable salespeople who take an interest in their customers, and do whatever they can pre- and post- sale to ensure that you are happy with your purchase. That personal interaction that you normally only find at good music stores is there as well. I know that if I'm going to buy something at independent music store "X", I'm going to call and ask for a specific person. But I'm also going to do that with SW - they have done a great job of making online purchases still a personal experience with honest, human interactions.

I took a few shots of my SE Tremonti to illustrate. The SW pics, (will reveal later in a NGD thread), are better than mine for obvious reasons, but took these to show the effect. The guitar looks much better in person, even better than the SW pics.:)
The first shot, straight on, very close to the SW pics I got, fairly even flame/contrast on both sides.

26281241827_75494f4b05_b.jpg

Looking from neck down toward body, you can see the flame disappear on the bass side, looks darker on treble side.
27279604568_4590f3bc1a_b.jpg

Looking from the bottom of the body, up toward the neck, you can see the flame begin to disappear on the treble side, looks darker on bass side.
27279607918_bccf0536fc_b.jpg

An even more extreme angle view from bottom, more dramatic effect.
41109845772_9f034c26c4_b.jpg

Again, I really like the look, and the way it changes depending on viewing angle, it is interesting, and the wood grain is interesting/beautiful when it shows. I wonder if this effect is because it is a veneer, as I don't notice this same effect on my Custom 22. No matter though, because the guitar is a fantastic player, and sounds wonderful. And remember, the SE is about 1/5th the cost of the Custom.:eek:

So I posted this on Reddit and tons of people suggested sending it back and it shouldn’t have left PRS QC etc... I’d love to hear what PRS owners think. I love the finishes on PRS guitars I see online but, I don’t have a dealer local. I typically purchase everything online and this is the first time one upset me. The sales engineer said he’ll personally screen the next one in different light then there professional photo booth. The pictures in the Imgur album start with the S.W. photos they provide me prior to shipping and then photos I took when it arrived today.

https://imgur.com/a/nRl8X

yeah man, that doesn't look great tbh.

It looks like they mixed the top pieces up with another set or something? Like there is another half of the left side floating around somewhere, perhaps on another guitar, looking just as nice?

It's 100% the same axe as the dealer images, I bet they spent a good long time getting the lighting right to flog that off. Don't buy from them again

Unfortunately I have seen a few ZM models locally that looked a bit like that, or had other blemishes and glue squeezout visible under the clearcoat in the neck join. I am really impressed with SE guitars of all shapes and sizes but with this model for whatever reason I have seen some issues. It's a pity because the necks feel lovely and I think the pickups are sweet

Note that in my post I did say it’s “GC with better service and selection.” In fact, go into a GC, and of course you see and play the guitar in person, something you can’t do with mail-order, but I digress.

I’ve bought from Sweetwater since the 80s. I still buy studio gear from them, most recently a month ago. I’ve bought a ton there, and still will when they have hardware I need.

SW has a good return policy, to be sure. But they can’t come within a mile of someone like Jack Gretz, or some of the other dealers if your guitar has a problem that needs fixing. Not even close!

I’ve had a lot of PRSes. Sometimes a pot, or switch, or some darn thing goes bad. With Jack, I talk to the owner; a call tag is emailed to me same day, and the guitar gets picked up, no waiting, no issues. Smooth.

If Jack can fix it, it’s done the day he gets it, and it’s shipped back to me that day. And the repair is immaculate. If it needs to go to PRS, it gets sent there instead of his shop. Note that Jack is a luthier who’s built hundreds of guitars, not some dude working anonymously in a big service department.

Try that with Sweetwater; it doesn’t happen. As I said,I know because I’m their customer for lots of studio gear, and have been since the 80s!

If i’m Interested in a guitar, I get a video clip from Jack of the exact guitar being played through a PRS amp like one I have, to get an idea of how it sounds. Jack’s return policy is same as SW. The pics on Jack’s site - as with other top dealers all over the country - are of the exact guitar you’re looking at.

But the level of PRS knowledge, dealing with the owner, speed of service, etc.? Jack knows my taste. More than once I’ve been interested in a guitar, and he’s said, “That one’s not for you, Schef. You won’t like it.” No one from SW will tell you that.

Jack’s not the only one. I believe there are a few dealers out there that are better. If you disagree, great, no skin off my nose. Just trying to share some advice based on long experience with SW. The OP asked for opinions, that one’s mine.

Last edited:
Note that in my post I did say it’s “GC with better service and selection.” In fact, go into a GC, and of course you see and play the guitar in person, something you can’t do with mail-order, but I digress.

I’ve bought from Sweetwater since the 80s. I still buy studio gear from them, most recently a month ago. I’ve bought a ton there, and still will when they have hardware I need.

SW has a good return policy, to be sure. But they can’t come within a mile of someone like Jack Gretz, or some of the other dealers if your guitar has a problem that needs fixing. Not even close!

I’ve had a lot of PRSes. Sometimes a pot, or switch, or some darn thing goes bad. With Jack, I talk to the owner; a call tag is emailed to me same day, and the guitar gets picked up, no waiting, no issues. Smooth.

If Jack can fix it, it’s done the day he gets it, and it’s shipped back to me that day. And the repair is immaculate. If it needs to go to PRS, it gets sent there instead of his shop. Note that Jack is a luthier who’s built hundreds of guitars, not some dude working anonymously in a big service department.

Try that with Sweetwater; it doesn’t happen. As I said,I know because I’m their customer for lots of studio gear, and have been since the 80s!

If i’m Interested in a guitar, I get a video clip from Jack of the exact guitar being played through a PRS amp like one I have, to get an idea of how it sounds. Jack’s return policy is same as SW. The pics on Jack’s site - as with other top dealers all over the country - are of the exact guitar you’re looking at.

But the level of PRS knowledge, dealing with the owner, speed of service, etc.? Jack knows my taste. More than once I’ve been interested in a guitar, and he’s said, “That one’s not for you, Schef. You won’t like it.” No one from SW will tell you that.

Jack’s not the only one. I believe there are a few dealers out there that are better. If you disagree, great, no skin off my nose. Just trying to share some advice based on long experience with SW.

Apparently, I don't know Jack... :D

Back