NGD- Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

Woundtight

I was in Mecca in May and I found a reject top intended for a Museum Guitar.
3da0d0e8-e1ca-4cb1-8089-4d6cc490f039_zps470e280d.jpg

Looks like a ho hum PS, but this one IS a little different. I took the XX Faded Turquoise color from Markie. The 20th Anniversary Birds in Mammoth Ivory, Ivoroid Knobs and a TRC that matches the body, looks like something 11Topper would do.
DSC_0601_zpsd4e47387.jpg

This one is a DC 245 with Two-Piece Bridge. This is the first Flame Top I've done, I usually go for quilt. Of course I have my controls- Volume, Volume, Tone and a blade switch. Pull split on the second Volume and the Tone. You can see some of the similarities and differences from some of the ones I have done in the past.
DSC_0605_zpsb11f770d.jpg

Similar fretboards, inlays and Headie. Keeping it simple and clean, too much bling...detracts and distracts.
DSC_0607_zps424172d1.jpg

I did another one with the Dickey Betts/ SC 245 thickness.
DSC_0608_zpsbfdd9ee6.jpg

I love 408 pickups, with my VVT & blade controls.
DSC_0609_zps7215835d.jpg

The other reason for 408 pickups...I thought it might be a bit of a risk to combine Honduran Rosewood Neck, Braz fretboard and thick Swamp Ash body. I figured if the combo of materials 'fails' then the 408s might dominate the overall tone. This is a deep sounding, yet resonant guitar unplugged. Sounds great amped up!
DSC_0611_zps0e9606ea.jpg

How am I not seeing any pics? I don't think I put blue on the ignore list...

Last edited:
Whoa that is one beautiful piece of art.....please enjoy her

I love it. A true woundtight build if there ever was one.

Seeing all of those axes together reminds me of our day in Indy. Makes me miss my fiddles, but one day they will be replenished in grand order.

Man Woundtight, I love your taste in PS builds sir! The apricot one is a personal fave! :D Finish on the new one looks amazing!

Man Woundtight, I love your taste in PS builds sir! The apricot one is a personal fave! :D Finish on the new one looks amazing!

Apricot is also my favorite. Ross built one similar to one of mine and when I build again no doubt his Apricot will be the inspiration.

Stunning. You have an eye for putting together a classy look. Love the white knobs, matching the pickup rings, matching the white of the body. It all pulls together so excellent. Well done!

You took one of my fav Markie creations and made the only improvements that I could imagine...thicker body. :cool: it's one of the best sounding wild-n-mild guitars I've ever experienced. Out-fuggin-standing! :congrats:

Last edited:
What is the impact of the two piece bridge?

I play a lot of Drop D stuff and need to tune quickly, on the fly. Of course, a floating trem requires a tune up of all strings, twice in many cases. The PRS one-piece bridge is great, but there is a lot of pull on those studs and I find most, if not all the strings go a little bit out of tune. It seems like the two piece bridge gives you more stability, I can tune the low E up and down without really affecting the other strings.
I am sure it affects the tone also. I am not going to argue that one is better than the other, but a two-piece bridge is tried and true. And I do love the PRS version. Also, the feel is perhaps slinkier compared to a wraparound bridge.

Back