NGD for me - CE 22

lhrocker

Being a long time Gibson/Hamer guy, I never had much GAS for PRS guitars up till January. Then all of a sudden, I have this urge to try one. Well, upon scouring the stores, local papers and internet, I finally scored a CE22 in purple. This guitar reminded me of an ESP Horizon that I had years ago. The price was right and it plays very nicely. Not a 10 top, but as nice as any Gibson I had. The only attribute that I wish the guitar had was birds, but I think one of those will show up in the near future.

Here are a couple of pictures - hope they work...

DSC00758_zps3414ca1f.jpg

DSC00760_zpsf813235c.jpg

DSC00769_zps27fce7d9.jpg

Thanx Guys - this one is also a 2002. I traded a black 2003 Les Paul Classic for it, but this one is in nicer shape. The guitar sounds good, but I may swap out the pickups. The guitar seems to be more on the thin/trebly side, but I'm not sure what the pickups are. The seller said that the guitar is stock. Still, I'm pretty happy with the guitar.

I'd urge you to try a set of 57/08s instead of those Dragon II pickups... You being a Gibson guy, I think you'd be more than pleasantly surprised by the 57/08 pups (PAF style). If you want a little more umph, getcha a set of 59/09s...or DGTs even!!! There are lots of great PRS pickups and it is not hard at all to move a set if it isn't for you. There's always another gear hound sniffing around to grab them if you change up...

Nice guitar! I had a purple CE22 and replaced it with a purple CE24. Yours looks great.

The guitar sounds good, but I may swap out the pickups. The guitar seems to be more on the thin/trebly side, but I'm not sure what the pickups are.

You may want to try lowering the bridge pickup to see if it makes it sound less trebly. If you do decide to replace the pickups with some PAF-style, but don't want to spend $$$ for the PRS pickups, there are many to choose from. I have DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups in my purple CE and they sound great to me.

Back