NGD ..Flamin Skylark

Hey Moondog ... you mentioned Kokopelli and me a while back ... this is one is one my dream list , her name is Koko Lee
KokoLee.thumb.jpg.d3caed1612f2caffc5ee3b8b7993dcc4.jpg

I didn't catch that this was a hollowbody at first! Here is a nice clip with a different finish

That is one of the most beautiful sounding instruments of any kind, in any setting, I have ever heard.

I feel the very same way about my PS PRS' but they're very different sounding guitars with different design goals - as they should be.

Yours is also absolutely stunning. I love the body carve, too; it reminds me a little of the lovely body carve on a Rick 381. May you have many, many years of enjoyment playing it!

Hey Moondog ... you mentioned Kokopelli and me a while back ... this is one is one my dream list , her name is Koko Lee
KokoLee.thumb.jpg.d3caed1612f2caffc5ee3b8b7993dcc4.jpg
Wow, thanks for sharing that! Those are some killer Kokopelli inlays!! And of course, as an Alembic, it has a high degree of beauty just built in!!! I would love to play one some day ;~))

Alembic is a very cool company and I have history with them and The Dead .
That being said , I would NEVER recommend one to anybody over a PRS . Why ? They have a very specific vue of sound , some love it , many don't think it sounds "natural" or ' To Hi FI" ...read not traditional.

While Ruby , like all they make is a complete custom ... For the price, an equivalent PRS PS would be far more jaw dropping .

so why even bother old Wolf ?

well Jerry's instruments have had me hypmotized for 40 years, when I started out in Lutherie . His 1st instrument ..."Wolf" my Choctaw name

Mica Wickersham ~ head of Artist Relations and daughter of founder Ron is married to the brother of a friend of mine from work. She gave me one of their adjustable brass nuts for a bass project I was working on , and lent me a Persuader bass to demo . 38 years later I finally got a version of that bass . The Maid of Honor at my wedding worked for the Dead 's sound crew ... I've been back stage and in a video ....

Growing up in Palo Alto I first encountered Jerry and Bobby at the local music store where they worked ( Brown's Music) the only one in town. Phil and I went to the same college. Jerry and Phil played Alembics. Owsley Stanley was the other founder , electronics genius behing the WALL of SOUND and legendary Acid King . .. he made the best of both My Alembic bass is named after him.

Since 1969 they have been a Custom Only company . they will literally make anything you can imagine ....54 years of amazing Lutherie.

in 1985 when PRS became available on the West Coast my other dream guitar and Lutherie Mentor came into the picture.
In the last year I've been lucky to invest in such delightful examples of Doug Irwin , Ron Wickersham, Owsely , and Paul .. All my Heroes.

For those that think PS prices are high ... check out their price list !.. http://www.alembic.com/prod/prices.html

just the pickups/ control set in Ruby is $1800 !

I refer clients there all the time when the ask How Much for my Custom? ....of course I'm much more reasonable .. but it gets them thinking in the right direction
Small world. I grew up in Palo Alto/Menlo Park as well. My dad was high school classmates with Johnny Wier.

Fantastic guitar and what a great deal.

@ViperDoc may be a bit young but I wouldn't be surprised if @Greywolf, you were also at the Dead concert (my first) at Maples Pavilion in Feb '73 when the entire floor, including the stage, bounced about a half foot about once per second after the audience figured out the resonant frequency, not for the whole show but at least for songs like Sugar Magnolia when they lit the mirrored ball.

Fantastic guitar and what a great deal.

@ViperDoc may be a bit young but I wouldn't be surprised if @Greywolf, you were also at the Dead concert (my first) at Maples Pavilion in Feb '73 when the entire floor, including the stage, bounced about a half foot about once per second after the audience figured out the resonant frequency, not for the whole show but at least for songs like Sugar Magnolia when they lit the mirrored ball.
I was and on-deck-circle sperm at that point! LOL

While I'm a lifelong Deadhead , this body shape is my fave, they make a small and regular version .. the small one is called a little Darling.
Same guitar as mine with a different but truely unique and to me sensuous form .
Buckeye Burl with Lapiz Luzili inlay ..and blue led markers. but $13,000 MORE for the extra bling ... which is why you don't see many
q8aef21l3asm5y4txo2m.jpg

Last edited:
For about 95% of players , a PRS is a MUCH better bang for the buck . Any true ground up custom is a VERY selective thing , while they may be the dream of some, others will think it's pure insanity.

From a collectors perspective I"m happy to have sweet examples of a guitar and bass from them , that have history and I got out with both for about the price of one PS or new entry Alembic.

I still have several PRS models calling my name , this was a very pleasent nostalgic adventure .

While I'm a lifelong Deadhead , this body shape is my fave, they make a small and regular version .. the small one is called a little Darling.
Same guitar as mine with a different but truely unique and to me sensuous form .
Buckeye Burl with Lapiz Luzili inlay ..and blue led markers. but $13,000 MORE for the extra bling ... which is why you don't see many
q8aef21l3asm5y4txo2m.jpg
I totally agree with you! Best body shape on a guitar ever IMO!! Everything they do is fantastic, but these are next level!!!

Back