Ngd Chris Robertson SE

Chartle

VIPro Member
Greetings fellow PRS fans,

Just received a blueberry burst Chris Robertson model from overseas. I've been eyeballing this model since the initial release as I love singlecuts and this is one of the few (if any others?) se singlecuts that has an actual burst with also an intonatable stoptail and no tremolo bridge. I waited out on the red color but when I heard the blue was coming I had to pull the trigger. Chris also happened to have dropped by the store and also get a batch signed which I also was able to get so that's a nice black stone cherry on top :) as I enjoy the band and his playing beyond the guitar. Unfortunately, the top doesn't look too great (just not even close to a symmetrical flame even for a "lower" end model) so I don't know if I want to hold onto it. I have plenty of SE models so I know the tops can be better. I made a request to get a picture of the top beforehand and that didn't happen. I usually invest expecting to keep the instrument for many, many years so this is a disappointment but since this was overseas I may be out of luck unless I sell locally. Beyond this there are many pros of the actual guitar and I'll list some quick thoughts below.

As far as the feel, it feels great at around 8.5 lbs. The wide fat neck is alright but a little thick for me. I highly prefer the pattern on my core models which ever so slightly contours to my hands better. The intonatable bridge should be standard imo. Looks great and does whatever job and tuning you want short of drop a and lower (really should get a longer scale or baritone for that). Feels plenty comfortable even if you palm chug a lot.

Sounds from the P90 and 5708 bridge are fantastic for lower gain lovers. I've been curious about both these pickups and they indeed deliver for classic rock and blues sound. I personally prefer a bit more gain in the bridge so the 5708 is actually something I would replace with a classic 57 plus which I think gets a better balance between modern and classic tones for my setup. You would have to push the 5708 very hard to get a metal grit but that's not what it's made for anyways. That being said make no mistake, this SE model can range from just about every tone with the help of the 3 way toggle and bridge push/pull.

So there are a few of my quick opinions about the guy. I do think you can find much cheaper singlecut se's, used or new if you live in the US, that are basically the same for much cheaper so I wouldn't expect something radically different but if you're looking for a burst color, classic sounding pickups and an intonatable bridge this is something to look into - while supplies last anyway. I still am contemplating returning mine or possibly selling as the top is below my standards. #cosmeticpickiness Hope everyone is staying warm out there!

20161220_203929.jpg

20170110_111036.jpg

20170110_111125.jpg

Last edited:
I had to look this one up on the internet. Nice looking SC guitar with an intonating stop-tail. Four knobs. PRS US 57/08 with Coil tap at the bridge. For me I probably pass on it because it has neck P90 and I would find this rather limiting insofar as changing out that pickup at a later time. Shame you went ahead and bought this when they failed to send you the requested photograph. I hope everyone is safe and warm too.

Nice one! I dig the P-90.

I assume the orange-skin look in the lower photo is a reflection of some sort?

Nice one! I dig the P-90.

I assume the orange-skin look in the lower photo is a reflection of some sort?
Yes, that is a red shirt reflection. Sorry, didn't catch that. The bridge is typical nickel like most other prs stoptails with brass color saddles.

That's a stunning guitar! Wish I had the space for one of them.

See you also got a nicely coloured Bernie. Did I miss it or do you still owes us some pictures?

Looks sweet! I like the idea of the soapie in the neck. Congrats!

thanks for the review, definitely a cool guitar, and I agree that the adjustable stop-tail bridge should be featured on a lot more guitars (from SE, through S2, CE and Core).
I agree that the top is lackluster. I have seen some tremendous tops on SE's and some disappointing ones, seems as though you received the latter.

Man, sorry you don't like the top. I was lucky enough to get one that looks spectacular (though of course it doesn't have the the depth of a "real" maple top from the core lies).

I can get hi-gain sounds out of the 57/08 just fine (for my tastes, at least), but it's probably also depending on the amp. And I really like the P90 in the neck (one of the reasons I fell for it) - in many ways, I think this combo makes for a great array of usable tones not possible with a HB neck. Apart from that, I think my experience mirrrs your own - I also prefer the pattern neck, which seems to have a little smaller shoulders. The wide fat is not too bad though, compared to my LP which I'm selling after getting my SE.

The top could be better, but given how unfortunately rare those are here in the states, I would keep it if you like the tone!

Seriously, it seems like those things are flying off the shelves overseas, why is this not offered in the states? I get it not offering the 57/08 (although it would be awesome), but slap an SE 245 or SE 85/15 in there. Done.

The top could be better, but given how unfortunately rare those are here in the states, I would keep it if you like the tone!

Seriously, it seems like those things are flying off the shelves overseas, why is this not offered in the states? I get it not offering the 57/08 (although it would be awesome), but slap an SE 245 or SE 85/15 in there. Done.

Maybe b/c Black Stone Cherry tops the rock charts and gets top 10s in the UK but isn't nearly as much on the radar here?

I like their stuff. It's dirty stanky Southern rawk.

Maybe b/c Black Stone Cherry tops the rock charts and gets top 10s in the UK but isn't nearly as much on the radar here?

I like their stuff. It's dirty stanky Southern rawk.

I think you're right on the popularity thing. Although, I still wonder if it would sell well on a feature basis. Like the ZM, I think that guitar draws tons of players because of its features, not because of the band's popularity.

I shouldn't whine too loud, at current I probably wouldn't buy the CR SE, I already have an SE singlecut, and p90's in my Mira 25th, and I'm trying to not buy another SE or S2 so I can save up for a 594. Totally armchair quarterbacking this one!

I would definitely check one out if they were available in the US. That's the best combination of pickups, IMHO ('bucker bridge, P-90 neck)

My inclination is to roll my eyes at criticisms of the flame top of the SE he bought, but to be honest, I'm not such a big fan of the blue burst or red burst, so maybe I'm just as guilty. If it was black, white, gold top, or maybe McCarty burst, I'd be much more into it.

So I just spoke to a rep about options about exchanging and they can't do anything. Apparently you cannot even buy ANY rosewood guitars (or other rosewood musical equipment) outside of the US/internationally as of Jan. 2 so I couldn't even send the thing or vice versa without some very special paperwork and CITES certifications that they cannot do at this time. I may contact PRS themselves for any additional options but I'm probably out of luck for even simply selling locally and buying a replacement unless they re-release in the states. Times are definitely changing.

So I just spoke to a rep about options about exchanging and they can't do anything. Apparently you cannot even buy ANY rosewood guitars (or other rosewood musical equipment) outside of the US/internationally as of Jan. 2 so I couldn't even send the thing or vice versa without some very special paperwork and CITES certifications that they cannot do at this time. I may contact PRS themselves for any additional options but I'm probably out of luck for even simply selling locally and buying a replacement unless they re-release in the states. Times are definitely changing.

Go ahead and post it for sale in the PRS Guitars Owners Worldwide Facebook group, I can assure you it will sell so fast it will make your head spin ;) There are TONS of people wanting to buy one here in the States!

I have 1 of the 100 red and had 1 of the 300 blue shipped to me before the CITES regulations kicked in (just in time!)

Go ahead and post it for sale in the PRS Guitars Owners Worldwide Facebook group, I can assure you it will sell so fast it will make your head spin ;) There are TONS of people wanting to buy one here in the States!

I have 1 of the 100 red and had 1 of the 300 blue shipped to me before the CITES regulations kicked in (just in time!)
Haha I believe that! Thanks for the tip, I def may consider that! Now my problem is I can't get the thing replaced anymore.

Congrats on your axes. I did see your red one - very, very pretty! Should post a quick pic of the kentucky blue!

Back