NGD -and I blame y'all...

Rhythmisking

One year ago I had never owned or played a PRS...now I have three. The latest:

2006 Singlecut Satin (MODCAT N7M2FAHFBPS_BM_G7-77)

Model: Could not find Model 'N7'
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood: Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay: Paua Birds
Bridge: Straight Stoptail
Color: Blue Matteo
Hardware: Gold
Treble Pickup: PRS 7
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: PRS 7
Electronics: Singlecut

There seems to be some discrepancies between the MODCAT and the hangtag...maybe some of you guys could help me understand what's up?

Besides "N7" baffling the decoder (as I talked about previously in another thread), it lists the top as Artist grade and the fingerboard as Brazilian (both of which are correct) but these aren't listed on the hang tag, where the only special order item is "Gold Hdw". Shouldn't the hangtag say "Artist'" or "Artist Pkg"? Is there such a thing as an "Artist" top without the "Artist Package"? Were Brazilian boards standard on Singlecut Satins? It has the Brazilian headstock overlay with Paua shell inlay, which along with the gold hardware, which were all part of the artist package for 2006...right?

The seller said a previous owner (there have been at least two) changed out the tuners to 'vintage' gold ones...or did they? Were they an option back then?
2006SC.jpg

2006SC2.jpg

2006SC5.jpg

2006SC7.jpg

2006SC10.jpg

2006SC9.jpg

It also has the metal side dots (which I think are really cool) and the top has been polished somewhat; also a plus.

Now for the not so awesome things...
Somewhere along the line the guitar was refretted and a bone nut added; neither of which was done to PRS standards. The nut is poorly cut making the action higher than it should be...except that the frets were not milled very well either, even though paradoxically the fret ends are actually really nicely finished. So what seemed initially to be an amazing looking guitar for an amazingly low price will now, after the nut and frets are sorted, be an amazing looking AND playing guitar for a 'not too bad' price.

Sorry to hear that it needs some attention. It’s a beauty, though, and once it’s sorted out you’ll be in heaven. Sweet birds!

It is I suppose fortunate your only issues are the nut and frets - those are "maintenance-oriented" items that can be easily addressed - the nut is a $10 swap out, and the fret may just need a mild dressing or something by a qualified luthier.

The guitar itself looks fantastic!

Nice!! The Artist Pack giveaway is the rosewood veneer of the headstock.
At that point in time, the core PRS range did not have a headstock veneer as standard yet...

There seems to be some discrepancies between the MODCAT and the hangtag...maybe some of you guys could help me understand what's up?

Besides "N7" baffling the decoder (as I talked about previously in another thread), it lists the top as Artist grade and the fingerboard as Brazilian (both of which are correct) but these aren't listed on the hang tag, where the only special order item is "Gold Hdw". Shouldn't the hangtag say "Artist'" or "Artist Pkg"? Is there such a thing as an "Artist" top without the "Artist Package"? Were Brazilian boards standard on Singlecut Satins? It has the Brazilian headstock overlay with Paua shell inlay, which along with the gold hardware, which were all part of the artist package for 2006...right?

The seller said a previous owner (there have been at least two) changed out the tuners to 'vintage' gold ones...or did they? Were they an option back then?
2006SC.jpg

2006SC2.jpg

2006SC5.jpg

2006SC7.jpg

2006SC10.jpg

2006SC9.jpg

It also has the metal side dots (which I think are really cool) and the top has been polished somewhat; also a plus.

Somewhere along the line the guitar was refretted and a bone nut added; neither of which was done to PRS standards. The nut is poorly cut making the action higher than it should be...except that the frets were not milled very well either, even though paradoxically the fret ends are actually really nicely finished. So what seemed initially to be an amazing looking guitar for an amazingly low price will now, after the nut and frets are sorted, be an amazing looking AND playing guitar for a 'not too bad' price.

I love how we get blamed for your drooling LOL by the way those photos made me drool also!!

2006SC.jpg

2006SC2.jpg

2006SC5.jpg

2006SC7.jpg

2006SC10.jpg

2006SC9.jpg

Fantastic, Congrats.

One year ago I had never owned or played a PRS...now I have three.

Yeah, that’s a little out of hand. Most of us are careful to stop at 2 new PRS Guitars per year. Look man, you’ve got to pace yourself. This is a marathon, not a 100-meter dash. Push too hard and you’ll find yourself giving half of those sweet-ass guitars to your ‘ex’ and her lawyer.

Yeah, that’s a little out of hand. Most of us are careful to stop at 2 new PRS Guitars per year. Look man, you’ve got to pace yourself. This is a marathon, not a 100-meter dash. Push too hard and you’ll find yourself giving half of those sweet-ass guitars to your ‘ex’ and her lawyer.

Very wise...clearly the voice of experience ;)

Back