NGD! 1997/98 Custom 24 Goldtop... Built by Joe Knaggs???

Jbyrd78

Happy NGD to me...now who is this Joe Knaggs individual that I just found out about today when I bought this guitar?

I ended up trading a 2023 Ebony Gibson Les Paul Custom for a 1997/98 Custom 24 in "Egyptian Gold" (aka Bullion Gold at Gibson)w/ bird inlays in a trade along with some cash earlier today. The previous owner of the guitar got some info on this Custom 24 from PRS when he purchased it and this is where I'm confused.

According to PRS, the guitar is registered as being the last guitar built in 1997. PRS told him it's inked with a 1998 serial number because it wasn't finished until early '98 due to a fire in the PRS factory.
Apparently being a Goldtop it was built in the custom shop by Joe Knaggs, because Goldtop's were one of Joe Knaggs and the custom shops areas of expertise at the time.

Their was no paperwork in the case with the guitar, but the person I bought it from, is someone reputable who I have delt with in the past on previous trades and sales and I have no reason not to trust him. He encouraged me to reach out to PRS and confirm the history of the guitar with them, and that if I'm not happy with the results, then he will give me my money and guitar back no questions asked.

I asked around on a Facebook PRS page, about this guitar and I was private messaged by a handful of people telling me to take the guitar, and the money and run because a Custom 24 Goldtop w/ bird inlays from the 90's is a rarity.

Can anyone give me some closure over this NGD situation please?

You could send the serial number to [email protected] (someone pls correct me if I got that address wrong). They have given me build info via serial numbers number in the past. Tell them the story as you have it, and they may be able to confirm. There are others here who know a lot more PRS lore than I do. Nice score!

Joe Knaggs is real and lead the Private Stock team in early days. He then left to build guitars at his own company.
I couldn’t tell you if Joe actually built it, and I doubt if PRS can either.
I don’t see any basis for declaring it fake - rare does not imply you need to run from it.
I expect PRS would confirm what you see: nice gold top CU24 with birds and HFS/VB pickups.
Enjoy!

Happy NGD to me...now who is this Joe Knaggs individual that I just found out about today when I bought this guitar?

I ended up trading a 2023 Ebony Gibson Les Paul Custom for a 1997/98 Custom 24 in "Egyptian Gold" (aka Bullion Gold at Gibson)w/ bird inlays in a trade along with some cash earlier today. The previous owner of the guitar got some info on this Custom 24 from PRS when he purchased it and this is where I'm confused.

According to PRS, the guitar is registered as being the last guitar built in 1997. PRS told him it's inked with a 1998 serial number because it wasn't finished until early '98 due to a fire in the PRS factory.
Apparently being a Goldtop it was built in the custom shop by Joe Knaggs, because Goldtop's were one of Joe Knaggs and the custom shops areas of expertise at the time.

Their was no paperwork in the case with the guitar, but the person I bought it from, is someone reputable who I have delt with in the past on previous trades and sales and I have no reason not to trust him. He encouraged me to reach out to PRS and confirm the history of the guitar with them, and that if I'm not happy with the results, then he will give me my money and guitar back no questions asked.

I asked around on a Facebook PRS page, about this guitar and I was private messaged by a handful of people telling me to take the guitar, and the money and run because a Custom 24 Goldtop w/ bird inlays from the 90's is a rarity.

Nice

You could send the serial number to [email protected] (someone pls correct me if I got that address wrong). They have given me build info via serial numbers number in the past. Tell them the story as you have it, and they may be able to confirm. There are others here who know a lot more PRS lore than I do. Nice score!
Already got the email ready to send out tomorrow morning.
Joe Knaggs is real and lead the Private Stock team in early days. He then left to build guitars at his own company.
I couldn’t tell you if Joe actually built it, and I doubt if PRS can either.
I don’t see any basis for declaring it fake - rare does not imply you need to run from it.
I expect PRS would confirm what you see: nice gold top CU24 with birds and HFS/VB pickups.
Enjoy!
I had heard Joe Knaggs name, but never payed attention until it was brought to my attention yesterday, that he used to work at PRS. From what little I can find, Knaggs doesn't really care to acknowledge any of the guitars he worked on or was involved in with PRS while he was at PRS. Pickups wise on this beaut. I may install a set of 59/09's I have on the shelf in her b/c HFS/VB's are not my jam lol.
Can't help you with your query but that is a beautiful guitar! If it plays well and sounds good then it was a good buy imo
Overall I'm happy with it. I liked the the LP Custom, but I have 3 others and I just wasn't attached to it. My last guitar that I was going to buy this year was a DGT Goldtop w/ bird inlays if I could find one. My first thought when this beaut was randomly offered to me yesterday was "maybe this is a sign." Lol
Congratulations on such a beautiful guitar.

I would recommend reaching to PRS support through their website. I see it has the optional 3 way McCarty wiring instead of the 5 way rotary switch which was standard at the time.
Will do! In regards to 3 way switch, apparently that is stock, and so are the graphtech saddles currently on it.
Given the nice figuring of the mahogany of the back I guess it is a specialty of some sort.

Cool guitar, but I'd have that spot on the neck fixed!
That spot is just a finish dent. I am however down the road thinking about sending it to PCT to have it refinished b/c the clear coat is hazing in some areas.
Thank you!

Already got the email ready to send out tomorrow morning.

I had heard Joe Knaggs name, but never payed attention until it was brought to my attention yesterday, that he used to work at PRS. From what little I can find, Knaggs doesn't really care to acknowledge any of the guitars he worked on or was involved in with PRS while he was at PRS. Pickups wise on this beaut. I may install a set of 59/09's I have on the shelf in her b/c HFS/VB's are not my jam lol.

Overall I'm happy with it. I liked the the LP Custom, but I have 3 others and I just wasn't attached to it. My last guitar that I was going to buy this year was a DGT Goldtop w/ bird inlays if I could find one. My first thought when this beaut was randomly offered to me yesterday was "maybe this is a sign." Lol

Will do! In regards to 3 way switch, apparently that is stock, and so are the graphtech saddles currently on it.

That spot is just a finish dent. I am however down the road thinking about sending it to PCT to have it refinished b/c the clear coat is hazing in some areas.

Thank you!
I had a 96 or 97 Cu24. Checked the pick up cavities and Joe’s name was in there, along with Guitar Player Giveaway. It was a fantastic guitar. And, Joe sure is making some terrific guitars now.

Not to take anything away from the guitar (except for those GraphTech saddles), but it sounds like a bunch hooey that someone made up to make it sound special. There isn't much that adds up there from what I know about how PRS did things. I'd love to be proven wrong by someone at PRS, though.

Not to take anything away from the guitar (except for those GraphTech saddles), but it sounds like a bunch hooey that someone made up to make it sound special. There isn't much that adds up there from what I know about how PRS did things. I'd love to be proven wrong by someone at PRS, though.
I agree with you. Too be quite honest, I didn't trade for the guitar b/c Joe Knaggs name was mentioned. I traded for it b/c I had intentions of buying a Core model Goldtop DGT w/ bird inlays before the end of this year. When this guitar was mentioned as a trade, I took it as this is my chance to own someone close what I was actually wanting. So far I'm really impressed with how it plays. The vintage bass pickup actually sounds nice, but the HFS is very meh. Hopefully I'll get sometime this up coming weekend to set it up to my taste.

She's a beauty! (Do female guitarists say that too?)

I'm curious about the pickups. Are they Dragon I?

It should have a rotary switch not the the 3 way, but if it's a custom ax maybe the switch is original.

I'd take a look inside the control cavity for new solder.

When you put new strings on it I'd unscrew the four screws holding the pickup ring to the guitar and take a look at the backside of the bridge pickup and see what it is.

I'm thinking Dragon I since it's uncovered.

It should have a rotary switch not the the 3 way, but if it's a custom ax maybe the switch is original.

When you put new strings on it I'd unscrew the four screws holding the pickup ring to the guitar and take a look at the backside of the bridge pickup and see what it is.

It's a cu24, it would be HFS/VB combo. Cu22 would be Dragon if I'm not mistaken.

It's a cu24, it would be HFS/VB combo. Cu22 would be Dragon if I'm not mistaken.
Didn't know that.

My '95 CU22 had Dragon I's and my '02 had Dragon II's.

My '95 and '97 CE22's both have Dragon I's.

Never owned a CU24. My only CE24 had Dragon I's also.

That's as far as my actual experience goes.

I agree with you. Too be quite honest, I didn't trade for the guitar b/c Joe Knaggs name was mentioned. I traded for it b/c I had intentions of buying a Core model Goldtop DGT w/ bird inlays before the end of this year. When this guitar was mentioned as a trade, I took it as this is my chance to own someone close what I was actually wanting. So far I'm really impressed with how it plays. The vintage bass pickup actually sounds nice, but the HFS is very meh. Hopefully I'll get sometime this up coming weekend to set it up to my taste.

Looks like a great guitar. Goldtop and regular neck, right up my alley. :cool: If only it had moooooons. :p

I still prefer the lighter shade of gold they used in those days. I like that just like the guitars, it's a nod to Gibson but with some Fender influence as well. It's not Egyptian Gold, though. It's closer to, if not identical to, Shoreline Gold.

The HFS/VB combo were rock monsters to me, but not not good for much else IMO. Pickups are easy to update, though!

McCarty switching was a factory option at the time, so it could be original. But yeah, only way to know for sure is to inspect it.

The photo album in the OP shows pickup backs. They're the standard HFS/VB of the era.

Didn't know that.

My '95 CU22 had Dragon I's and my '02 had Dragon II's.

My '95 and '97 CE22's both have Dragon I's.

Never owned a CU24. My only CE24 had Dragon I's also.

That's as far as my actual experience goes.

Yes, the later CE22 had D2 and the earlier had D1. Now with 8515.

CU24 would indeed have been HFS/Vintage Bass if it was a "standard order."

There was also a time period where "McCarty switching" could be ordered in lieu of the rotary.

Back