New to the forums, question about setup, fret buzz and Belgium.

Mashren

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums (literally, about 30 minutes). About 2 months ago I bought a PRS SE Custom 24 (http://www.thomann.de/be/prs_se_custom_24_gb_2013.htm).
It's safe to say I'm loving this guitar except for one thing. Fret buzz. Now I know 90% (if not more) of the time a good setup solves this.
However, I brought it into 2 different local guitar shops and it keeps coming back with fret buzz.

The fret buzz appears when playing the open low E and from the frets upward from the 7th fret mainly (on the lower E and A string).
I know some people say fret buzz is OK. But to me it bugs me a lot (especially on open lower E).

The shop techs told me I should get some 10's fitted to solve the problem. However I don't think PRS would ship guitars with 9's if that's what caused them problems.
Both techs have done full setups (costing me quite a lot) but it just isn't right.

The second tech told me I probably have too hard of an attack but it even occurs when I don't pick that hard. Am I totally going nuts?
So here are my questions to you guys:

A) Could it be that I'm just picking too hard (never had an issue with any guitar before, picking wise)?
B) Should I get 10's fitted (I had 10's on my previous Epiphone Les Paul)?
C) Could the nut slot be filed too deep?
D) Can anybody recommend me a good guitar tech in Belgium or something? Because I love this guitar so much but the fret buzz is totally ruining my mood to play the guitar.

Thanks!

If it buzzes on open E, it is probably C.
Buzzing after the 7th fret is probably solved by raising the saddle on that string a bit...
Things like this is why I would like to see a PTC Europe being created...

If it buzzes on open E, it is probably C.
Buzzing after the 7th fret is probably solved by raising the saddle on that string a bit...
Things like this is why I would like to see a PTC Europe being created...

I feared that's what it was. Is there a way of knowing for sure? (I've never set up my own guitars or anything)

Also, is there some sort of list of recommended luthiers or PRS certified resellers for Europe? Something like a european PTC would be great indeed though.

I don't mind having to drive a bit if I can get this sorted. It's just that every time I plug it in, I just get discouraged so much because of the fret buzz.
I've already spent about €50 on setups for this particular problem and I'm starting to get fed up :)

When you had the setups done, did you tell the techs specifically that what you wanted fixed was the fret buzz?

If so, In my opinion, they owe you a refund or should credit what you have already paid towards getting a new nut installed.

If you paid them to fix the buzz and they didn't fix it, they basically got paid for doing nothing...

Time to become the squeaky wheel...

When you had the setups done, did you tell the techs specifically that what you wanted fixed was the fret buzz?

If so, In my opinion, they owe you a refund or should credit what you have already paid towards getting a new nut installed.

If you paid them to fix the buzz and they didn't fix it, they basically got paid for doing nothing...

Time to become the squeaky wheel...

I did tell them yeah. I even called them afterwards but they kept telling me a little fret buzz is OK and that 10's would solve the problem.
In a way I'm just glad I'm not going mad. So next time I'm going in I'd like to be prepared. What kind of nut would you guys recommend for my SE custom 24?
As I myself am not really up to date on this kind of stuff, it would be nice to get some advice from people who actually do know.

I just hate the fact I have to gamble on local shops to do it properly :). If I knew there was somebody closeby (like within 200 km's, i'm not fussy) that could definitely fix this I'd be well happy.

Setup before buying new nut and changing string gauge or bringing it to a tech charging you alot.Put on new strings(9s),stretch them and have guitar in tune.Guitar will probably buzz more than ever.Start with putting on a capo at first fret and check for buzz at same spot.Having guitar capoed rules out nut in most cases as the source for buzz.Next step is to check relief,keep guitar capoed and press down string at the highest fret and check for a little .010 gap at 8th fret.Check setup guide on PRS homepage.If neck is backbowed or straight you can try to loosen trussrod(counterclockwise)quarter of a turn.Finally check stringheight.Follow PRS guide to start with.In most cases people adjust strings too low.Often a good setup for many people is low action.A good sounding guitar on the other hand needs strings to be set alittle higher.Final adjustment is pickups.Press down highest fret and start with neckpickup at around 1/8 on bass side and 3/32 on treble side and adjust other pickups for tonal balance.You dont want pickups too high,the magnetic field can pull string out of tune.If nothing of this makes buzz better a high fret can be the problem.If nut is the problem tech should have noticed.Check out what Phil x says about string height in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0VZzNXiXO8

Last edited:
Since it is a adjustable bridge just raise the offending strings a small amount. seede71 post is spot on double check the neck relief.
9s should not be a problem BUT you may need your action a bit higher if you are a heavy handed player

Since it is a adjustable bridge just raise the offending strings a small amount. seede71 post is spot on double check the neck relief.
9s should not be a problem BUT you may need your action a bit higher if you are a heavy handed player

I'll pick up a capo tonight or maybe tomorrow. I'll post back the results! Thanks in any case for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Are they replacing the nut when performing a set up? It sounds like the nut slot may be a bit too low.

They did not replace the nut no. It's still the stock nut on there. But it never played without fret buzz ever since I got it.

Last edited:
To check if nut is ok press down on 3rd fret and check gap between 1st fret and string.I think PRS setup guitars with 4/64 nut height.A height of .020-.016 is ok for E and A strings.

To check if nut is ok press down on 3rd fret and check gap between 1st fret and string.I think PRS setup guitars with 4/64 nut height.A height of .020-.016 is ok for E and A strings.
Swede,

With .020-.016, do you mean the distance between the first fret and the string when pressing down on the third fret? Or do you mean the height of the nut slot compared to the fretboard?
I'm new to the whole technical side of guitars :)

Thanks for the advice though!

Hi Mashren
To first check nut you can press down on third fret and check for gap between top of fret and bottom of string at first fret.To check or set nutheight you measure from top of first fret to bottom of string.PRS setup guitars with 1/64 of an inch or 0.016 inch.In Europe that is 0.4 mm.For E and A strings 0.016-0.020/0.4-05 mm is ok.Buy a feeler gauge set at nearest gasstation.

Hi Mashren
To first check nut you can press down on third fret and check for gap between top of fret and bottom of string at first fret.To check or set nutheight you measure from top of first fret to bottom of string.PRS setup guitars with 1/64 of an inch or 0.016 inch.In Europe that is 0.4 mm.For E and A strings 0.016-0.020/0.4-05 mm is ok.Buy a feeler gauge set at nearest gasstation.

Hi Swede,

Thanks again for elaborating. However one more question remains. The measurement of 0.4mm ... is that with the 3rd fret pressed down? Or with the strings "at ease"?
I have picked up feeler gauges yesterday, so I should be able to test tonight.

"at ease"...the 3rd fret pressed down and checking for a small gap is just a quickcheck really.

"at ease"...the 3rd fret pressed down and checking for a small gap is just a quickcheck really.

I just checked some of the stuff you asked. Here's my results.

1. Space between 1st fret and bottom of string: .016
2. Space between 8th fret and bottom of string with capo on 1 and 24 pressed: .026
3. With 3rd fret pressed down, I can not see a gap between 1st fret & bottom of string (at least not with the naked eye)
4. With capo on 1st fret I still had (but less) fret buzz on the open E

Any thoughts?

Next step stringheight.Check at 12th fret,2 mm from top of fret to bottom of string.Start with that on every string and go from there.

Next step stringheight.Check at 12th fret,2 mm from top of fret to bottom of string.Start with that on every string and go from there.
Just checked,

They're all just a little over 2mm. I think about 2.25mm

Back