New SSH came with Repair from Factory

I totally agree with you guys who are saying it doesn’t affect anything or amount to any real issue with the guitar. I’ve put the strap button on, I’m keeping the guitar, and eventually I’ll get over it, stop caring, and achieve blissful acceptance. As you all have.

big thanks to @bodia for the additional pictures. I agree the PG looks the most similar to mine - and I think it’s the worst looking of the ones you posted.

I’ll put it this way: if you showed these two instances (my SSH and bodias PG) to Paul Reed Smith, as he was walking through the factory floor, and asked him if these dowel installations represent his quality standard, I would be very surprised if he said “yes”. That’s what I’m bummed about.

I’ll get over it eventually, but I’ll probably need a couple weeks to get there. I really like everything about this guitar that actually matters ;)

Thanks to everyone for their feedback - especially those to shared info to clarify that this is part of the standard manufacturing process!

Last edited:
You never know. That little bit of opening in the finish may, in fact, give a core it's open and airy tone. Could be the secret sauce to all of it. Especially depending on what wood species of dowel is used.

Tone dowel

I'd be fine with it.
I'd call it Roddy... McDowall...

A quick Scottish repair “Andie McDowell”

Just checked my 2021 594 and 2021 CU24. Both have the dowel.

I don’t use strap locks on my PRS’ so I would probably never have known if it wasn’t for this post. Knowing that it’s how they’re made now, I couldn’t care less about it. But I can’t say it wouldn’t bother me if it was a one off affecting just my guitar, so completely understand the reason for questioning it.

Remember folks, its not a repair, its a feature.

Speaking for me, as someone who doesnt resell guitars or buy them as investments, I couldnt give a rat's booty if there was a redrilled strap hole on my guitar. I get ticked off over fret issues, specifically unfinished ends, and bad neck angles. It doesnt look aesthetically good, sure, but its a repair that pretty much any repairman would make to correct a loose drill hole, it's just not stained and finished, which you can have done but it costs time and money.

As an investment, I dunno if it matters, I'm not well versed enough in that field. I just play the stupid hunk of wood. (badly).

Back