New Orchestral Piece: Steps

Love it! My favorite has always been the brass section, since I started in my music path as a cornet player for many years. Which software do you use for the orchestral sounds? I've composed a few pieces using Apple Native and Miroslav Orchestra (but never upgraded so it no longer works with my newer Mac.

Last edited:
Took me a while, but I love it! The reedy-ness of the woodwinds is so nice.

Finally got a nice, quiet morning (fam still sleeping) to check some things out. I try to give them an honest listen. Is this the adult version of Saturday morning cartoons?
Yes, but you have to be a pretty...um...unusual...adult to 'watch' them! ;)

Love it! My favorite has always been the brass section, since I started in my music path as a cornet player for many years. Which software do you use for the orchestral sounds? I've composed a few pieces using Apple Native and Miroslave (but never upgraded so it no longer works with my newer Mac.
Thanks!

Regarding orchestral libraries, it's all about the emotion and nuance I want for a particular passage. I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' orchestral library, so I mix and match.

Additionally, these libraries have what I'd call a national traditional character, and I try to recognize and make use of that. I don't want to typecast the libraries, but if you study the articulations, you do realize there's a certain nuance to the way orchestral instruments are played in different parts of the world. I don't think Hans Zimmer travels to Europe for certain films because of the studio sound, that's more likely a small part of it. It's also about the way the instruments are played.

Spitfire Audio's orchestral libraries are fantastic - I have nearly all of them. They're wonderfully inspiring, and when you want passages to have that 'London Symphony Orchestra' vibe, a more restrained and sensitive British way of playing, you get it in spades with their libraries. Though they can certainly do 'big' the British do it differently than German and US musicians.

The Orchestral Tools libraries, such as Berlin Strings, are superb, and I especially like the shorter articulations. The note articulation reminds me of the Berlin Philarmonic's recordings, played with a controlled energy that I think typifies German tradition/style of orchestral playing.

I also love East West's Hollywood Orchestra, Symphonic Orchestra, and various other of their offerings, especially their ethnic stuff for added spice. I wind up using the East West orchestral libraries when I want the bigger, brasher, more high-energy instrumentation and articulations. I often pick Hollywood Orchestra articulations. Worth the money for the orchestral percussion alone.

Finally, for some of the individual instruments, there are some excellent Soundpaint sampled instruments that sound very good indeed.

For this recording I used half a dozen different libraries for the articulations.

Last edited:
I will have to make note of those. I am not in a position where I would need to concentrate on the nuances ... as of yet. I would love to do writing professionally...some day! I just can't afford to stop my current 'career'. Maybe rethink time management...

Very moving as usual Mr. Les! Good stuff and thanks for sharing!! Love the flutes(?) that come in right after 2 minute mark. The closing exclamation sounded a bit harsh, but I am listening on laptop, so certainly not doing it justice!!

Very moving as usual Mr. Les! Good stuff and thanks for sharing!! Love the flutes(?) that come in right after 2 minute mark. The closing exclamation sounded a bit harsh, but I am listening on laptop, so certainly not doing it justice!!
If memory serves, there are flutes and other woods, but mostly flutes. I'll go back and listen and let you know if interested. I'll also check to see if there's harshness. I listened on my computer before posting, and it sounded fine, but that doesn't mean it is.

My stuff was sounding too much alike with the French Horns carrying the melodies. So I changed things up.

Please don’t take it as a criticism. It honestly wasn’t meant that way.

You know I have a kooky sense of humour.

I actually love the tone of a French Horn and have admiration for those who play them.

I remember a tale that I was told about a FH player who cut their left hand and put a sticking plaster on it. Unbelievably it changed the tonality of their playing, such a small difference!

Like we say, everything make a difference.

Please don’t take it as a criticism. It honestly wasn’t meant that way.

You know I have a kooky sense of humour.

I actually love the tone of a French Horn and have admiration for those who play them.

I remember a tale that I was told about a FH player who cut their left hand and put a sticking plaster on it. Unbelievably it changed the tonality of their playing, such a small difference!

Like we say, everything make a difference.
I realized you were kidding, but figured it'd still be worth making excuses for...er, sorry.... explaining.

Back