Another: Improvisation in C#

László

Too Many Notes
Well, I can't play guitar as well as every single other person on this forum, but I've kind of always been a piano person.

I came up with another improvised piano piece. It's a little more 'Americana' in style than the last one. I make no claim to excellence, but it's not bad for something improvised.

I realize I hit the keys pretty hard this time, it's a little bit...um...bombastic in spots (my old piano teacher would tell me to 'stop banging the keys so hard'), but it is what it is. ;)

Last edited:
Way cool Les.

It may be more 'Americana' overall but that's after the opening Rachmaninoffesqe tease. And even if you were pounding the keys, I couldn't detect any edge of breakup sounds.

The key really changes the vibe of a piece, doesn't it? C is so bright sounding (though not as bright as D), but C# changes the whole mood.

I got a kick out of the spacing thing. Thanks!
It is interesting how much the key changes things. When I was young and foolish, I sometimes played only black keys to shift my mind a bit.

On guitar, I like creating in A. I assumed it was the sympathetic vibrations of lower open string, but maybe there is more to it than that.

It is interesting how much the key changes things. When I was young and foolish, I sometimes played only black keys to shift my mind a bit.

On guitar, I like creating in A. I assumed it was the sympathetic vibrations of lower open string, but maybe there is more to it than that.
Interesting! I like playing in A, too. As with D, I find it a bright sounding key. You might be onto something talking about the sympathetic vibrations, too.

Interesting! I like playing in A, too. As with D, I find it a bright sounding key. You might be onto something talking about the sympathetic vibrations, too.
I do most of my melodic playing on the upper 4 strings between frets 7 & 15. Sympathetic vibrations are definitely in play, enough so that I sometimes deliberately nurture them.

I sometimes played only black keys to shift my mind a bit.
Rahsaan Roland Kirk's title track from his "Blacknuss" album is all black keys. If you have not heard it, check it out!
He's my favorite jazz man! Apparently he and Frank Zappa performed together at a festival once, but no recording is available ;~((

Rahsaan Roland Kirk's title track from his "Blacknuss" album is all black keys. If you have not heard it, check it out!
He's my favorite jazz man! Apparently he and Frank Zappa performed together at a festival once, but no recording is available ;~((
I saw Rahssan at the Village Vanguard in the summer of 1970. He was pretty amazing. Too bad he's been gone a long time.

Back