New member, new-to-me CE-22

Welcome! Yes, but that doesn't detract from its badassness! One if the best guitars PRS ever made in my book.

Some details are wide fat neck, dragon II pickups, phase 2 tuners, and rotary knob. I'd say the color is royal blue.

Again, congrats! You scored. If I had seen it first it might not be yours today! Dibbs if you sell. :)
I agree! These older CE guitars are fantastic.

Welcome! Yes, but that doesn't detract from its badassness! One of the best guitars PRS ever made in my book.

Some details are wide fat neck, dragon II pickups, phase 2 tuners, and rotary knob. I'd say the color is royal blue.

Again, congrats! You scored. If I had seen it first it might not be yours today! Dibbs if you have a moment of insanity to sell. :)

Haha, thank you. I don’t think this one is going anywhere for a long while. I’ve wanted a USA PRS for 30 years, but things came up and it never happened. This one seems to have all the craftsmanship of a core, but at a used price I could handle.

Thank you for the details about this model. I have a question about the tuners, which don’t really show up in the picture, but the posts are nickel chrome, whereas it looks like the phase II tuners I’ve seen have brass posts. Why the difference?

Older CE are built to core specs with the difference being bolt on neck. Older core are absolutely core before there was such a designation.
Ok, so this older CE would not be considered a core because of the bolt-on neck? Even though it is built to core specs? Just trying to get my facts straight, thanks again for your help.

Last edited:
Ok, so this older CE would not be considered a core because of the bolt-on neck? Even though it is built to core specs? Just trying to get my facts straight, thanks again for your help.
It would be considered core, but there was no such thing as core line then because they were all core. The difference between a custom and ce is the bolt on neck. Your ce is every bit of sweet core love :)

I had a typo in my last post.. will fix to avoid confusion.

It would be considered core, but there was no such thing as core line then because they were all core. The difference between a custom and ce is the bolt on neck. Your ce is every bit of sweet core love :)

I had a typo in my last post.. will fix to avoid confusion.
Oh, cool! Thanks for clarifying!

Thanks for your assessment. I would agree with you. It definitely has some playing wear on it, but it was probably kept in its case when not in use. My guitars are out on stands and wall hangers, so maybe this one will start to fade over time for me. I would actually like it to lighten in color a bit. It is very dark in person.
I would google faded Royal Blue guitars before you decide to let it fade.

The CEs came about as an attempt to hit a lower price-point by using tops that weren’t quite figured enough for what a Custom needed. Maple bolt-on necks gave them another way to differentiate.

They were made on the same production line with Customs and Standards. The term “Core” didn’t come about until the S2 line appeared. By that time, the old-style CEs had been discontinued.

Old CEs are the best bargain in the PRSverse.

I would google faded Royal Blue guitars before you decide to let it fade.

The CEs came about as an attempt to hit a lower price-point by using tops that weren’t quite figured enough for what a Custom needed. Maple bolt-on necks gave them another way to differentiate.

They were made on the same production line with Customs and Standards. The term “Core” didn’t come about until the S2 line appeared. By that time, the old-style CEs had been discontinued.

Old CEs are the best bargain in the PRSverse.

Thanks for the info!

That's one helluva guitar enjoy!

Sweet guitar! Love the Royal Blue finish! A CE 22 was my first PRS and I still have it and play the hell out of it. Congrats on a great acquisition.

Thanks again, guys. This one has me feeling pretty good.

Last edited:
Great score Mr. Tortoise! Do keep in mind, blues and purples in the PRS line are the one most prone to fading (even indoor light but definitely sunlight which fades everything). I know you have said you would like it to fade a bit, but you never know what the fade is going to look like, so I would think carefully about whether you should let something that has been preserved in it's original color for 19 years, to now fade especially considering that you may not like the color when it does fade. Congrats either way, I have heard nothing but good things about the older CE's and will definitely try one if ever put in front of me ;~))

As others have said, the old school CE’s (particularly the CE-22’s IMHO) are some of the very best guitars PRS have ever built. I’d take a CE-22 over any Custom every single time. Congrats on a killer guitar.

Great guitars...especially if its got the Wide Fat neck...one of their best necks...for me, anyway.
Great top...the picture captured the flame well!!! Congrats.
(OK, so I guess I'm the only one gonna throw out "Whale Blue"...???)
Yes, this one has the wide fat neck. It really feels great. I was originally thinking whale blue as well, but seemed most thought it was royal blue. I guess the name of the color really doesn’t matter. It’s blue, lol.

Back