New M1 Lappletop

I've never seen the point in buying a Mac laptop. I think it is a very well-publicized device and nothing more. It has many flaws that make it impossible to work, study, or play. The only advantage of Apple laptops over other manufacturers is the convenient form factor. That is the end of all the advantages of these laptops for me. If you thought my criticism was unfounded, I could tell you that I used my Mac for a year and sold it because it did not support raid configurations and always failed. Because of that, I got such a negative impression. That's just my opinion.
I liked your honesty, and hence liked your post, but... In the first place, I'm using 3 RAID drives with my studio Mac (two SSD and one spinner). They all work great, and I had no trouble configuring them.

I've been a Mac user since 1987. I've owned lots of Mac laptops and desktops since then, but I've also owned computers going back to the dedicated IBM-software word processors that came out in the late '70s at $25,000 a pop even then (!); after that, DOS machines, and, later, Windows machines.

The IBM, DOS and Windows stuff was for my employees who preferred them. Those machines were a PITA, and never connected to stuff I needed to do. They cost my business a fortune to deal with, networking was madness, etc., etc. I hated dealing with all that, and was glad to jettison that nonsense when the time came to start my studio business.

In the studio I've been all Mac, again, since '87. I've run Performer (pre-Digital Performer), Digital Performer, Pro Tools (and before that, Sound Designer II, the precursor to PT), and currently run Logic on my Macs. Everything works. For media (TV and film) composers, Logic makes more sense than any other DAW.

I never have downtime. My business partner uses Windows. His machine fails all the time. So he bought a Mac to do his paperwork and video conferencing on, and loves it, but has this investment in his Windows gear that makes him hang onto it for sound design and music creation.

All of the mixers and sound designers at my son's studio in LA run Macs. No issues. Macs are ubiquitous in audio. Nearly every studio depends on their Macs.

A lot of it might be what you're used to dealing with, and what you're willing to put up with.

I'm not willing to put up with Windows. I'm willing to put up with Macs; they're just a lot easier for what I need to do with a computer.

I liked your honesty, and hence liked your post, but... In the first place, I'm using 3 RAID drives with my studio Mac (two SSD and one spinner). They all work great, and I had no trouble configuring them.

I've been a Mac user since 1987. I've owned lots of Mac laptops and desktops since then, but I've also owned computers going back to the dedicated IBM-software word processors that came out in the late '70s at $25,000 a pop even then (!); after that, DOS machines, and, later, Windows machines.

The IBM, DOS and Windows stuff was for my employees who preferred them. Those machines were a PITA, and never connected to stuff I needed to do. They cost my business a fortune to deal with, networking was madness, etc., etc. I hated dealing with all that, and was glad to jettison that nonsense when the time came to start my studio business.

In the studio I've been all Mac, again, since '87. I've run Performer (pre-Digital Performer), Digital Performer, Pro Tools (and before that, Sound Designer II, the precursor to PT), and currently run Logic on my Macs. Everything works. For media (TV and film) composers, Logic makes more sense than any other DAW.

I never have downtime. My business partner uses Windows. His machine fails all the time. So he bought a Mac to do his paperwork and video conferencing on, and loves it, but has this investment in his Windows gear that makes him hang onto it for sound design and music creation.

All of the mixers and sound designers at my son's studio in LA run Macs. No issues. Macs are ubiquitous in audio. Nearly every studio depends on their Macs.

A lot of it might be what you're used to dealing with, and what you're willing to put up with.

I'm not willing to put up with Windows. I'm willing to put up with Macs; they're just a lot easier for what I need to do with a computer.
Word! I used a Windows PC once… to buy a Mac.

So, I bought a new interface, not cause I wanted one but because the barrel in the wall wart power supply for my old one was missing(!?) and… WTF, I’m already a couple stacks into this computer so why not blow a few hundred bucks more?

I bought that top-of-the-line UA entry level box that they just came out with, the Volt 476? It’s at least got a USB-C connection, and it’s bus powered so I won’t have to search for a power supply ever again (knock on wood).

I’d say I’d give y’all a report back on the interface but… what’s more boring than an interface? I thought I’d give my money to UA because I like them but, maybe they got bought by Monsanto or Home Depot while I was out of the loop.

Back