New Amp Day - David Grissom DG 30

When I looked at the picture with the Gibson in it, I realized just how bad the handle looks. It deteriorated; the finish peeled off. Is it even leather?

5-CE87-D8-F-1-D89-4-FB9-9127-4-BE80-A6-EB6-D4.jpg

I just ordered a new leather handle ($39) from www.brookwoodleather.com

BD307-ECF-D000-4-AB0-986-D-1-A2-ED5575-FF9.png

That beast is yummy. It’s been well cared for by several forum-ites...you’ve got a great one!

She’s a bit of a whore, but I’m very impressed with how well she was cared for. It’s definitely a fantastic amp. I still have so much to explore. It must be funny to listen to me when I have a new amp or pedal. I play a lot of partial songs and fiddle around a lot going no where, musically.

Oh, another thing about my Gibson amp handle. That amplifier has only left the house once, when I got the reverb fixed. So, I’ve touched the handle a only few times in 16 years. It looks so shabby. I can’t wait to get the new one.

Awesome! I can’t wait to hear your take one it, and the Grissom cabinet too. I had an old Gibson combo many years ago the had two different sized speakers in it. They like that sort of thing!

As you have a 25th/HXDA, I’m looking forward to your review on how they compare.

Edit: Just noticed those are EL84s in there. That a whole new world, too. Really curious now!

They're actually equipped with 7189s (also called EL84Ms - but there's a big difference in plate voltage - and there's a Russian tube designation as well).

They were designed to military specs, and have a 50,000 hour operation life. I got my DG30 in 2014, and it's still on the original 7189s!. I'm told that they were also used in some early amps like the Magnatones, etc. Regular EL84s would literally melt in a DG30. In fact, the amp has two fans to keep the 7189s from overheating.

If Tahlee's has the Brimars, chances are it's a "First 20", about which more, below.

Hi Rick. I haven’t had enough time with it to fully explore it, but my first impression is that it’s a different animal altogether. The Reverb makes the clean settings more lush and I find EL84’s to have a cleaner clean sound than EL34’s.

So, my first impression is that my 25th Anniversary (almost an HX/DA) is all Marshall all the time, whereas I feel like the DG 30 has prettier cleans. My immediate thought was that this could be an amazing amp for my pedals. Just a beautiful clean sound for me to build upon.

Again, I haven’t given it much love yet, so I’m sure there is much more to it. I have a feeling that she also likes to get dirty.

Mine has a very different clean sound from my HXDA, though my HXDA can get VERY sparkly clean.

The DG's clean tone is actually fatter, because it has more midrange balance (even clean) and as you say, it's very lush. But it's not all due to the power tubes; the circuit design is different, I think the transformer is different, it's tube rectified where the HXDA is solid state rectified, the position of the phase inverter in the circuit is different, and other stuff that really matters. I'd bet that if it had EL34s, it'd still sound pretty much like a DG30, and not like a Plexi.

At first, I used the DG30 as my clean amp, and the HXDA as my dirty amp. However, I discovered I was really missing out both ways.

Regarding whether it likes to get dirty, you bet, the DG30 can get plenty dirty, in a different way from a Marshall style amp, and it can rock pretty hard. It is definitely a great pedal platform, but so is the HXDA when used to its potential. The HXDA has sparkly, very bright cleans when the guitar volume is rolled back, and I was missing out on that at first, too! So the choice of which of the two to use on a track can be pretty interesting, and the inherent tone of the amp is called into play, not just whether I want clean or dirty.

I set both amps up with my guitar volume up a little over halfway (PRS guitars do this very well because they retain their highs with the volume rolled back), so the amp is just on the verge of breakup. Lower the guitar volume for cleans, raise the guitar volume for dirty, and suddenly you have Tone World right at your fingertips!

I've used both amps with overdrives and boosts, and without them. Now when I use gain pedals, I don't use them for more distortion -- I get that with the guitar's volume knob. I use them to add color, so I turn the pedal gain to unity.

The amp's rear panel Boost control pushes the amp in a different way than the standard setting. The top-cut control on the back panel is pretty cool. You'd think you only need the treble control on the front panel, but the two combined create different high frequency Q and turnover points, much like using an old Pultec EQ with its boost and cut controls used at the same time. So the amp can be dialed in to give you a nice high frequency push, a little more high end grit, for example, and the cut control can be used with it to prevent an ice pick sound.

It's pretty slick, and the turnover frequencies are very well chosen, both for live performance and recording.

Seems to me there are a lot of tone influences in the DG30 that of course aren't in the HXDA, which is purely late '60s Plexi. I once put the DG30 in a Tweed category, but in retrospect, I think that was incorrect. I do hear a bit of Tweed influence in the midrange, but it's tighter in the bass, and not as brittle on the high end as a Tweed amp. A Tweed Deluxe, for example, will get mushy (in a good way, of course) in both the low and high frequencies.

The high end responds a little bit like an AC30, though a Vox has more "crushed glass" in the higher frequencies. The DG is smoother, unless you crank the treble, and the DG has much more bottom than a Vox. A friend has an old Magnatone, and I hear some of that; maybe it's the influence of the 7189s?

But at heart, I think you'll find that the DG30 is its own, independent, tone beast, with a lot of surprising tricks up its sleeve.

Anecdote time:

Doug Sewell told me that Grissom put a lot of himself in this amp. When the first ones were introduced at Experience in the fall of 2013, and they were putting the last-minute finishing touches on the amps literally the night before it opened, Grissom wanted the amps to go over so well that he was actually helping to select and install the tubes in the shop!

This isn't just an amp with some star's name on it. Blood, sweat and tears when into designing and building these. I'm lucky enough to have gotten one of these "First 20", and they have some pretty sweet NOS glass that was installed at the factory (Brimar preamp tubes, for example, that at the time were going for over $100 apiece).

And of course, a tone demo:

I wrote the little piece of music below to demonstrate the DG30 with my 594 Soapbar and 594 guitars a couple of years ago. The Soapbar is first. I used a Fulltone OCD at unity gain, just to add some color with the humbucker 594. I did not change the gain of the amp for the cleanish rhythm track or either of the lead parts. It's all guitar volume control and pickup selection stuff.

I've posted it before, but it does show the amp's capability off pretty well, and damn, the Soapbar guitar sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it? The Soapy is the first solo, the 594 is the second solo.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy-20

Last edited:
I am going to buy the David Grissom cabinet, but until I do I am running it into a Gibson open backed cabinet with two 10” speakers and two 12” speakers.
I bought that Gibson Super Goldtone half stack 16 years ago.

31-FF20-F9-9-A38-4513-81-E9-69-FF564571-A9.jpg
I bought a Goldtone 30 combo the one with both a 10” and a 12”. It’s a great amp the cleans are soooo nice. It is too much amp for me (I really just wanted the 15 watt Gibson or a Trace Elliot Velocette) but I got it for a great price. It makes me sound the way I want to sound.

I bought a Goldtone 30 combo the one with both a 10” and a 12”. It’s a great amp the cleans are soooo nice. It is too much amp for me (I really just wanted the 15 watt Gibson or a Trace Elliot Velocette) but I got it for a great price. It makes me sound the way I want to sound.

The cleans are so nice, I agree. I also like the dirty channel and the reverb.

Really nice amps. Beautiful to look at, too.

There’s plenty of space in that giant room for another amp, Les. :cool:

Not so fast! ;)

The amps have to be located where they sound good in a room. They don't sound their best everywhere, and I don't have assistants to move 'em around. They need to be spaced far enough apart that I can get behind them to deal with cables, power cords, tube bias testing, etc.

Plus the room fills up pretty quickly when a couple of clients, a singer, and another musician are in for a session. I have chairs and stools in the storage room I bring out for these occasions, although these days clients aren't into visiting studios as much ("just send me an mp3 and I'll take a listen"). But it nearly always works out more efficiently when they're in the session to get immediate feedback.

I've had as many as ten client folks in the studio at one time during a session or a production meeting. The room fills up pretty quickly.

Ahhhh! And I bet he did the tubage. Whoever did it did a good thing!

There might have been some limited editions, but all the charts and amps I’ve looked at had JJ pre tubes. The original HXDAs came with Winged C power tubes, but I am not up on the DG series. For my savings account’s sake, I might need to stay uninformed!

The tube chart shows a Sovtek rectifier tube, and the power tubes there are Russian too, I think. They might have been Sovteks too.

Dunno... I think he may have bought it secondhand? It might be the only positive example of “previous owner” in the history of mankind. :p

I did not do tubes in it. I never opened it up either. I bought it from a guy in Florida who bought the 30 and a 50 at the same time for his studio. He settled on the 50 and put the 30 up for sale.

Congratulations! Although I've never bonded with EL84s, am looking forward to hearing your evaluation of the DG30. Grissom's tone is so thick and lush, it would be hard to believe these are EL84s. Enjoy!

They're actually equipped with 7189s (also called EL84Ms - but there's a big difference in plate voltage - and there's a Russian tube designation as well).

They were designed to military specs, and have a 50,000 hour operation life. I got my DG30 in 2014, and it's still on the original 7189s!. I'm told that they were also used in some early amps like the Magnatones, etc. Regular EL84s would literally melt in a DG30. In fact, the amp has two fans to keep the 7189s from overheating.

If Tahlee's has the Brimars, chances are it's a "First 20", about which more, below.

Mine has a very different clean sound from my HXDA, though my HXDA can get VERY sparkly clean.

The DG's clean tone is actually fatter, because it has more midrange balance (even clean) and as you say, it's very lush. But it's not all due to the power tubes; the circuit design is different, I think the transformer is different, it's tube rectified where the HXDA is solid state rectified, the position of the phase inverter in the circuit is different, and other stuff that really matters. I'd bet that if it had EL34s, it'd still sound pretty much like a DG30, and not like a Plexi.

At first, I used the DG30 as my clean amp, and the HXDA as my dirty amp. However, I discovered I was really missing out both ways.

Regarding whether it likes to get dirty, you bet, the DG30 can get plenty dirty, in a different way from a Marshall style amp, and it can rock pretty hard. It is definitely a great pedal platform, but so is the HXDA when used to its potential. The HXDA has sparkly, very bright cleans when the guitar volume is rolled back, and I was missing out on that at first, too! So the choice of which of the two to use on a track can be pretty interesting, and the inherent tone of the amp is called into play, not just whether I want clean or dirty.

I set both amps up with my guitar volume up a little over halfway (PRS guitars do this very well because they retain their highs with the volume rolled back), so the amp is just on the verge of breakup. Lower the guitar volume for cleans, raise the guitar volume for dirty, and suddenly you have Tone World right at your fingertips!

I've used both amps with overdrives and boosts, and without them. Now when I use gain pedals, I don't use them for more distortion -- I get that with the guitar's volume knob. I use them to add color, so I turn the pedal gain to unity.

The amp's rear panel Boost control pushes the amp in a different way than the standard setting. The top-cut control on the back panel is pretty cool. You'd think you only need the treble control on the front panel, but the two combined create different high frequency Q and turnover points, much like using an old Pultec EQ with its boost and cut controls used at the same time. So the amp can be dialed in to give you a nice high frequency push, a little more high end grit, for example, and the cut control can be used with it to prevent an ice pick sound.

It's pretty slick, and the turnover frequencies are very well chosen, both for live performance and recording.

Seems to me there are a lot of tone influences in the DG30 that of course aren't in the HXDA, which is purely late '60s Plexi. I once put the DG30 in a Tweed category, but in retrospect, I think that was incorrect. I do hear a bit of Tweed influence in the midrange, but it's tighter in the bass, and not as brittle on the high end as a Tweed amp. A Tweed Deluxe, for example, will get mushy (in a good way, of course) in both the low and high frequencies.

The high end responds a little bit like an AC30, though a Vox has more "crushed glass" in the higher frequencies. The DG is smoother, unless you crank the treble, and the DG has much more bottom than a Vox. A friend has an old Magnatone, and I hear some of that; maybe it's the influence of the 7189s?

But at heart, I think you'll find that the DG30 is its own, independent, tone beast, with a lot of surprising tricks up its sleeve.

Anecdote time:

Doug Sewell told me that Grissom put a lot of himself in this amp. When the first ones were introduced at Experience in the fall of 2013, and they were putting the last-minute finishing touches on the amps literally the night before it opened, Grissom wanted the amps to go over so well that he was actually helping to select and install the tubes in the shop!

This isn't just an amp with some star's name on it. Blood, sweat and tears when into designing and building these. I'm lucky enough to have gotten one of these "First 20", and they have some pretty sweet NOS glass that was installed at the factory (Brimar preamp tubes, for example, that at the time were going for over $100 apiece).

And of course, a tone demo:

I wrote the little piece of music below to demonstrate the DG30 with my 594 Soapbar and 594 guitars a couple of years ago. The Soapbar is first. I used a Fulltone OCD at unity gain, just to add some color with the humbucker 594. I did not change the gain of the amp for the cleanish rhythm track or either of the lead parts. It's all guitar volume control and pickup selection stuff.

I've posted it before, but it does show the amp's capability off pretty well, and damn, the Soapbar guitar sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it? The Soapy is the first solo, the 594 is the second solo.

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messy-20

That sounds really great, Les. Both guitars and of course the DG 30.

Yeah the stereo reverb with the speakers out of phase is cool. So is the ability to use the clean and dirty channels at the same time.

Yeah the stereo reverb with the speakers out of phase is cool. So is the ability to use the clean and dirty channels at the same time.

Huh?

Can you please tell me how to run both clean and dirty channels at the same time.

Last edited:
Huh? Can you please tell me how to run both clean and dirty channels at the same time.

You need the infamous five button switch. They are rare and are usually quite expensive. I found the schematics and built my own. It almost works, right now the reverb button doesn’t switch the amp. But I’ll get that working again when I have time.

There’s a locked thread somewhere around here with a photo.

Back