Neck Humbucker In Both Positions?

Jacobite

Here's a (probably) strange question. Has anyone put, say, two "neck" humbuckers in one dual humbucker guitar in order to get a more "mellow" bridge position sound? "Hot-but-mellow" in both positions?
Just an idea if I decide to swap the pick-ups in my new Bernie Marsden, which sounds wonderful so far.

Outputs just weaker than the average bridge pickup if I'm not mistaken...

Sure. That's what the 58/15 LT is. There's just the one model for either position.

Back in the day there was just the PAF. Many of our favorite tones are from guitars made with no regard for which pickup went in which positron.

The whole idea of neck and bridge pickups started with aftermarket pups. People often prefer a little more juice from the bridge pickup.

I would have thought mellow or sharp is due to the string vibration at those different positions. The pickups just sense accordingly and tell it as it is.

It’s like the nearer to the bridge you pluck a string, the sharper it sounds acoustically and the more you get that ‘bridge pickup’ sound. When you pick further from the bridge, acoustically you can hear it sounds mellow.

Just like why a 24 fret guitar doesn’t not give you as mellow a neck pickup sound, because the neck pickup is located nearer to the bridge.

I suspect it’s lots to do with the actual string vibration at different parts of the string, and little to do with the pickups.

Sure. That's what the 58/15 LT is. There's just the one model for either position.

Back in the day there was just the PAF. Many of our favorite tones are from guitars made with no regard for which pickup went in which positron.

The whole idea of neck and bridge pickups started with aftermarket pups. People often prefer a little more juice from the bridge pickup.

I believe the “extra juice” helps to compensate for the lesser string oscillation nearer to the bridge.

Last edited:
Back