Cracking noise in poti - but only using both pickups

ErikS

Hi guys,

I'm new here. I own a S2 Singlecut Standard (2015) and there is a strange phenomenon with both volume potis:
Both of them run smooth and noiseless as long as I only use one humbucker. When the toggle switch is in the middle position, both potis make a cracking noise.
The noise comes in the exactly same position with both potis. It is close to the max position. I studied the wiring diagram but can't find a reason, why there should be a difference in the middle position. Spray was my first idea - no effect.
Any ideas? Did anybody here experience something similar?

It sounds like it might be something w/the toggle switch. Have you tried putting the switch in the middle, turning one pot all the way to zero, then testing the other pot? I'd be curious to see if say the neck pickup pot makes the noise in the middle position w/the bridge volume at zero (and vice versa), and checking between the middle and single position. I have no explanation as to why the toggle might cause it, but I think you could check the solder points and connections and possibly replace the switch.

Back