NAMM-style big rollout in January?!?

I read that too fast and thought it said “metal prostate”

Haha prosthetic prostate

It’s so nice to drive my wife’s car because of the CD player. I hop in, turn the key (FFS it has a key!), and the EW&F CD I put in there 7 years ago picks up right where I left off.

When I get in my s**tbox CR-V, I have to press the stupid start button, wait, and wait for the iPad on my dash to warn me to check my surroundings and read a f@ckin paragraph about safety, hit the source button, de-select my wife’s phone, set it to Bluetooth, wait, turn on my Apple Music, pick a f@ckin EW&F song, and then drive to the Target/school/Jewel/play date house/playground that’s literally four mins from my house.

I actually just spend more time in a quiet car, with no music on, than I do listening to music. It’s just not worth the effort.

I even went so far as to put music on a gig-stick so I wouldn’t have to putz with stuff, that didn’t work either. I have to take the stick out after I start the car, read a paragraph about safety and being aware of my surroundings, put it back in, wait, decouple my wife’s phone that’s 20 feet away in the house playing a millennial podcast(!), and then hit source, pick my f@ckin stick, and then get to listen to the first “GD” song that I loaded onto that stick (again!), before I can drive off.

I wanna cassette player.

I opened the glove box of Mrs AR’s 2020 plate car and found a multi CD player! I didn’t think they even put those on cars any more.

My daughters ‘18 plate has a cassette slot in her radio and Bluetooth.

Maybe we’re just retro.

It’s so nice to drive my wife’s car because of the CD player. I hop in, turn the key (FFS it has a key!), and the EW&F CD I put in there 7 years ago picks up right where I left off.

When I get in my s**tbox CR-V, I have to press the stupid start button, wait, and wait for the iPad on my dash to warn me to check my surroundings and read a f@ckin paragraph about safety, hit the source button, de-select my wife’s phone, set it to Bluetooth, wait, turn on my Apple Music, pick a f@ckin EW&F song, and then drive to the Target/school/Jewel/play date house/playground that’s literally four mins from my house.

I actually just spend more time in a quiet car, with no music on, than I do listening to music. It’s just not worth the effort.

I even went so far as to put music on a gig-stick so I wouldn’t have to putz with stuff, that didn’t work either. I have to take the stick out after I start the car, read a paragraph about safety and being aware of my surroundings, put it back in, wait, decouple my wife’s phone that’s 20 feet away in the house playing a millennial podcast(!), and then hit source, pick my f@ckin stick, and then get to listen to the first “GD” song that I loaded onto that stick (again!), before I can drive off.

I wanna cassette player.
I am in nearly the exact same scenario! The 2012 Nissan Exterra has a 6 disc CD player (Rockford Fosgate no less which surprised me when we got that car in 2013). The 2022 Kia Seltos (NOT my choice), I have to read the sh!t, check the surroundings, cancel gf's phone (even when she is still in house) etc. Once I do get it set up though, I put my phone on random play and it holds ~20,000 songs on the 256GB chip. One difference is, my CD player is playing discs I made with MP3s (ripped from original purchased CDs to fit more on disks) and it is going to be Zappa, Prince and other artists, though there is some EWF on phone, but not on those 6 MP3 disks that hold about 30 albums all together! And it starts where I left off and those same 6 disks have been in there for years. My latest "piss me off" is the refrigerator saga! God how I hate the planned obsolescence world we are living in!!!

Grow up and get an 8-track player, child.

Our old car has a CD player, the new one doesn't. When I buy a CD and want to listen to it right away, it bugs me. But usually, I have my iPod Touch plugged in. Although it's not big enough to hold all my CDs.
Cassettes are a higher fidelity medium than 8 tracks. I remember having 8 tracks in two of my '70s and '80s corvettes. They sounded pretty awful.

I wanna cassette player.

OK, you just convinced me I'm never selling the Mustang that has a CD player in it (along with the gizmo that plays my entire music library off a USB stick). It don't do none of that s!?t, and if the future looks like what you describes above I'm not going there.

Speaking of CDs, I always used to treat them as jewels, being super careful not to touch their surfaces, putting them in their cases when not playing them and all that. This last year I burned a couple of albums to writable CDs and kept them in the car, picking whichever one I wanted to hear, playing it, and chucking the other on in the back seat until I wanted to hear it again. I reckon they lasted about 6 months before they started skipping in the player, and when I actually looked at them they were pretty rough. All kind of scratched up, and well, dead really.

It totally reinforced why I'm not careless with stuff like that. If they'd have been my only copies, I would have been really upset.

Cassettes are a higher fidelity medium than 8 tracks. I remember having 8 tracks in two of my '70s and '80s corvettes. They sounded pretty awful.
My 73 Ford LTD 8 track would play two tracks at the same time. In certain states of consciousness Deep Purple - Machine Head 8 track tracks 1and 2 played concurrently is, like, wild, man!

My comment was because Sergio is much younger than I am. Not because 8-tracks are better, because they’re not. different track orders than the albums. Split tracks - I’m still surprised to hear the guitar solo in Kiss’s “X-Ray Eyes” because that track was split between programs 3 and 4, and I’ve had the CD forever.

Strangely enough, when I finally got a cassette player in my car, my neighbor said, “It’s about time. Cassettes are so much better, and they’re way more reliable.” I never had more tapes eaten that with that cassette deck. But I also didn’t need a matchbook to keep the tapes aligned.

Last edited:
Back