My Stripped 58 has 57/08 pickups that are weaker than I'd like...

Man, I wonder too and starting to agree with you more and more.. my SC58 is playing in the 5815LT area. I feel like I got the best of both worlds, 5708LT.

I really ran my SC58 through the paces this weekend. Lots of pedals and amps. With a good amount of A/B to other guitars, put it against new 5708, uncovered 5909, covered 5909, 5815LT, and 5815S.. even peppered in a little Tremonti, Vela, 8515, and DW tomahawks for fun.

Verdict- I wouldn't change these pickups or guitar for anything. It absolutely kills. Sounds amazing and the pattern neck is probably my favorite profile. Very very happy I scored this guitar. Has some of the most beautiful clean tones, especially with the volume rolled off, and will take about any dirt I throw at it, but nails the creamy OD tone perfectly. Really impressed with these older 5708. They don't have quite the push of the newer ones, but man the knobs and/or a stomp open up new worlds of tone. Maybe it will become a collectible ;)

Here's the cavity if anyone is wondering. Thought it was interesting there's a .033 on both the neck and bridge. I usually run .015/.033 or two .022 in a Les Paul.

Screenshot_20230807_015310_Gallery5c509b3ef68f6b40.jpg
I grabbed the pickups that I pulled out of my 2016 594 and measured them. Both pickups measured exactly the same and are not designated as a bass and treble on them. They have the exact same stickers on them and both measure at 7.76k. So the 58/15LT pickups are right in the range of the older 57/08 neck pickups from the samples I have. I have several more guitars that have 57/08s in them stock but have not dug them out to measure but I think they are going to be in the range of the others I have from that same time period.

Like I said, with the lower output set of 57/08's, the bridge pickup volume drops off a little when I switch from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup. I don't like that.

With the newer sets of 57/08's, when I switch from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup it actually gets slightly louder. I DO like that!

Like I said, with the lower output set of 57/08's, the bridge pickup volume drops off a little when I switch from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup. I don't like that.

With the newer sets of 57/08's, when I switch from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup it actually gets slightly louder. I DO like that!
I don't have a volume drop off with any of mine. I typically adjust the height of the pickups when I do the initial setup on all of my guitars to have the pickup output as close as possible between the two. That affects the tone when they are run together as well.

Yep. It is probably the only set I have seen that are uncovered. I don't know if they used them in some of the P22 models. They are stock in this one. It is one reason I bought this exact guitar.
I'll bet they're a little brighter than the covered version. That's what I hear when i remove the covers from a pickup.

It loses some sweetness and warmth but gains some top end and presence.

I grabbed the pickups that I pulled out of my 2016 594 and measured them. Both pickups measured exactly the same and are not designated as a bass and treble on them. They have the exact same stickers on them and both measure at 7.76k. So the 58/15LT pickups are right in the range of the older 57/08 neck pickups from the samples I have. I have several more guitars that have 57/08s in them stock but have not dug them out to measure but I think they are going to be in the range of the others I have from that same time period.

Yes the 5815LT are the same, except for the 5815LT+ and 5815LTV. Those are designed for the singlecut and the neck pickup has a little extra and pickups are labeled. I have the 5815LTV, the neck reads .5 higher.. my logic was to swap them around for a little hotter bridge which puts them right about my SC58 pickup readings.

I don't have a volume drop off with any of mine. I typically adjust the height of the pickups when I do the initial setup on all of my guitars to have the pickup output as close as possible between the two. That affects the tone when they are run together as well.
I don't have any drop off either. I run my neck pickups pretty low and it balances nicely, darn near perfect in my SC58.

This, of course, isn't advice; you don't need my advice, you're you, and that's great.

I just feel like sharing.

This is my playing M.O. regardless of the instrument I'm playing. It works for piano, electronic instruments, and guitar, and as far as I know, for every other instrument, except instruments without performance dynamic control, like harpsichord.

How I learned this: I studied classical piano with a concert pianist who was conservatory-trained in Europe. Her teacher's teacher was a pupil of Czerny. Czerny was a 19th C. master who was taught by Beethoven.

So there's a direct transmission line of musical philosophy from master to master, and it works for me, even though I'm not even close on any of their exalted levels. Nonetheless, I find it's all a matter of degree, and the more this is followed the better my playing sounds.

Every acoustic instrument I've played (except harpsichord) gets brighter (to a point) with harder strikes, plucks, breath, etc., and gets less bright at softer volume. This is something that's manipulated by the player.

The electric instrument player has the advantage of making changes in volume and brightness with the electronics controls, in addition to picking dynamics. What a great thing!

But if all the controls are maxed out all the time, there's 'nowhere to go'. Yes, picking dynamics still matter, but some of the potential is missed. There's no 'fifth gear' to take the listener when the game needs to be upped or brought down. And the infinite shadings possible via the use of the guitar's controls alone aren't taken advantage of.

My own conclusions (YMMV):

1. Musical performance is usually better if attention is paid to volume and dynamics.

2. Music ideally manipulates tonal shading and nuance.

3. If one's banging people over the head all the time with volume, brightness, and banging the notes (as I did when first playing for my teacher) the result isn't very musical. It's tiring. The listener's emotions aren't fully brought into the piece - that's done with nuance and manipulation of dynamics.

4. You have to leave yourself 'somewhere to go' with volume, tone and dynamics. The more easily this can be done by the player, the better.

In the context of electric guitar, I set my amps up to get my base clean tone with the guitar volume around 5-6, and then I can roll the guitar volume up for gradual breakup, and down for that clean tone.

I also don't run my guitar pickup tone controls full-up. Usually they're about 7-8, so I have 'someplace to go' when I want that little bit of extra zing during a take, etc.

If the pickups are slightly imbalanced and they each have their own volume and tone controls, the fix is pretty simple. Adjust the damn knobs!

If needed for a particular tone, I compensate for any high frequency loss experienced when lowering the volume on the guitar (as compared to volume full-up) using the controls on the amp, and/or I use a Pettyjohn EQ pedal that consistently blows me away with how fantastic it sounds (sadly, no longer made).

But it's rare that I need the EQ.

Most of the time my guitar volume runs 7-8 even at edge of breakup, tone controls on 7-8, and that's where I live 90% of the time.

I think a lot of players miss out on all this stuff. I've heard Robben Ford talk about it in person. I've seen Bonamassa talk about it in videos. I've heard it on the records by favorite players.

There are players lots of other folks love that I consider 'bangers'. The tone/dynamic doesn't vary much during the entire song.

That's great at times and in the right context, but it's good to be able to do more than one thing, if so inclined. Since I'm so inclined, that's how I roll. :)

Last edited:
Yes the 5815LT are the same, except for the 5815LT+ and 5815LTV. Those are designed for the singlecut and the neck pickup has a little extra and pickups are labeled. I have the 5815LTV, the neck reads .5 higher.. my logic was to swap them around for a little hotter bridge which puts them right about my SC58 pickup readings.
I was a little surprised that the 58/15LT pickups were that close to the 57/08 neck pickups in my older versions. I thought they would be lower than those. The reason I swapped them is that when switching from my other guitars to this one at a gig it had too much of a volume drop off for me. I needed it to be close to my other guitars, some with 57/08s in them. The things that make you go hmmmm.

Here is the bridge pickup of the three guitars I have out right now. This is in the order of oldest set to newest. The newest is definitely the hottest of these three.

CU22 - PTC installed in 2009, Bridge 8.95k, Neck 7.84k
SC-58 Stock 2012 pickups, Bridge 8.64k, Neck 7.79k
594 Installed by me and bought from the PRS website in 2016 or early 2017, Bridge 9.27k, Neck 8.58k

My SC-58 is the lowest of the three. This difference isn't really that big. Yours don't really seem to be that far apart either.
Measured my CU24 57/08 ltd run for fun, with the ORIGINAL 57/08 PUs. Must say that the difference is quite big with the newer specs, but I thought the early ones had the pixy dust old wire? May account for some of the variance.

Bridge 8.62k
Neck 7.92k

Neck is a little strong relative to the bridge, but I like to put some distance between the neck PU and the strings, makes it a little more clear.

Measured my CU24 57/08 ltd run for fun, with the ORIGINAL 57/08 PUs. Must say that the difference is quite big with the newer specs, but I thought the early ones had the pixy dust old wire? May account for some of the variance.

Bridge 8.62k
Neck 7.92k

Neck is a little strong relative to the bridge, but I like to put some distance between the neck PU and the strings, makes it a little more clear.
Your pickups measure similar to what my Duncan Antiquity humbuckers read. Bridge 8.34K and the Neck 7.54K. Alnico 2 like the 57/08's.

I prefer a stronger bridge pickup when I want to hear some snarl...but the Antiquitys have a beautiful, more airy tone. More open and transparent and not overly thick and snarly. A little bit bright without covers but with covers they're warmer and I don't hear that steely bright quality.

I thought PRS owned the original die from the 40's or 50's that was used by the manufacturer of the copper wire Gibson used to wind the coils of humbuckers in 1957?

Paul's rap at the time was that every die leaves microscopic but unique trails in the wire (like a fingerprint) and those contribute in some way to the sound of the pickup.

So for the 57/08 to sound exactly like a real '57 Gibson PAF modern wire of the same formula as the 50's wire Gibson used would need to be drawn through the very same die the folks who made the wire for Gibson used.

And if I remember right (which I may not) Paul says he bought that die.

I do think the 57/08 sounds the most like my favorite 50's PAFs that I've actually owned and had in 50's Les Pauls and ES-335's. In the 60's and 70's I owned a few. So Paul appears to be right about the using the original die to make the wire.

I even sold a set a set of PAF's to TED NUGENT. Nice guy. Was not a jerk. Went for a walk on his land in Michigan and he gave me what I asked for the pickups with no haggling. Played together a little bit. I remember he had his brown '62 Fender Deluxe that he used for recording, and it had a white Electro Voice SRO 12" speaker with an alnico magnet so big it may have stuck out the back a little. He cranked it up and sounded just like Ted. Fun times.

Last edited:
PS - I should also explain that when I take out a different guitar, I set the amp up for that individual guitar anyway. I'm not a 'plug in and play every guitar with the same amp settings' person. Some are, some aren't. I aren't. ;)

I do use multiple amps in sessions, often with one guitar, and each one gets set up for the specific guitar I plan to use, whether that's one or a couple. I can't recall ever using more than two guitars in a session, come to think of it.
That’s the reason to have multiple amps, pedals and guitars right? To be able to fiddle endlessly with the settings?

That’s the reason to have multiple amps, pedals and guitars right? To be able to fiddle endlessly with the settings?
Yep. But I don't fiddle with my CORE guitars. Just my SE Bernie Marsdens and SE Silver Skys. They need and deserve the fiddling and upgrades I've done.

Only problem is now I prefer them to my Core guitars like my Stripped 58.

I'm with you. I like the neck pickup fine.

It's the bridge pickup that seems to vary.

I prefer the stronger, ballsier sounding version.
You don’t have a McCarty bridge pickup laying around do you? My friend swapped out the stock pickups in his 07 McCarty when PRS was offering 57/08’s to swap for free. He played mine with the McCarty's and wished he still had his original pickups!
The bridge McCarty pickup is a lot ballsier, and is the reason that makes those older MC’s such a great rock guitar.

Yep. But I don't fiddle with my CORE guitars. Just my SE Bernie Marsdens and SE Silver Skys. They need and deserve the fiddling and upgrades I've done.

Only problem is now I prefer them to my Core guitars like my Stripped 58.
Still love my core SAS and McCarty. A lot of character in those two, and such a joy to play.

I'm inclined to agree with Vaughn.

However, this is what I do if I want a little bit more 'oomph': I walk over to the amp and turn up the gain a smidge, or use a boost on a very low setting.

Not that I'm too lazy to change pickups. It's just that turning a knob or stepping on a pedal is a lot easier.

OK, I'm also too lazy to change pickups. But my solution works (for me)! :)
This is what I do; bump the gain a touch on my EQ pedal. Done and dusted!

This is what I do; bump the gain a touch on my EQ pedal. Done and dusted!
So do I. But that also bumps the gain on the neck pickup which I sometimes like very clean.

I have two "Klons" on my board. One is used as a clean boost with Gain on zero but Output turned up.

The other has the Gain turned up and the Output turned down and it's used an Overdrive. The settings vary.

That second "Klon" can be driven by the first one (which is usally ON anyway) if I want an even thicker tone with more overdrive.

I use two J Rockett "JEFF" pedals. They sound identical to my Klon KTR.

Last edited:
You don’t have a McCarty bridge pickup laying around do you? My friend swapped out the stock pickups in his 07 McCarty when PRS was offering 57/08’s to swap for free. He played mine with the McCarty's and wished he still had his original pickups!
The bridge McCarty pickup is a lot ballsier, and is the reason that makes those older MC’s such a great rock guitar.
Nope. Have a set of newish 57/08's that are the stronger wind laying around. I was thinking I'd put them in my SC58. But I probably won't now.

Your pickups measure similar to what my Duncan Antiquity humbuckers read. Bridge 8.34K and the Neck 7.54K. Alnico 2 like the 57/08's.

I prefer a stronger bridge pickup when I want to hear some snarl...but the Antiquitys have a beautiful, more airy tone. More open and transparent and not overly thick and snarly. A little bit bright without covers but with covers they're warmer and I don't hear that steely bright quality.

I thought PRS owned the original die from the 40's or 50's that was used by the manufacturer of the copper wire Gibson used to wind the coils of humbuckers in 1957?

Paul's rap at the time was that every die leaves microscopic but unique trails in the wire (like a fingerprint) and those contribute in some way to the sound of the pickup.

So for the 57/08 to sound exactly like a real '57 Gibson PAF modern wire of the same formula as the 50's wire Gibson used would need to be drawn through the very same die the folks who made the wire for Gibson used.

And if I remember right (which I may not) Paul says he bought that die.

I do think the 57/08 sounds the most like my favorite 50's PAFs that I've actually owned and had in 50's Les Pauls and ES-335's. In the 60's and 70's I owned a few. So Paul appears to be right about the using the original die to make the wire.

I even sold a set a set of PAF's to TED NUGENT. Nice guy. Was not a jerk. Went for a walk on his land in Michigan and he gave me what I asked for the pickups with no haggling. Played together a little bit. I remember he had his brown '62 Fender Deluxe that he used for recording, and it had a white Electro Voice SRO 12" speaker with an alnico magnet so big it may have stuck out the back a little. He cranked it up and sounded just like Ted. Fun times.

You are correct Sir, I remember the video, but can’t remember which one.

I may be in a “rabbit hole” for some time.

Back