My return to playing electric is progressing...

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
OK, so my recent experience with the Boss GX-100 reminded me that I really do prefer the simplicity of a tube amp. I just spend too much time tweaking the modelers - if you're looking for one, the GX-100 does sound quite good, but you have to be able to resist the urge to tweak endlessly.

I tried out a Marshall Origin 20 Head the other day in my local GC - it's what pushed me into the decision. They only had new, though, so I went off to Craigslist and found an Origin 50 Combo locally, and it was only $425. Picked it up today, brought it home, and I think I'm going to love it (I know me and honeymoon periods, and that I always love it at first!). It's nicely touch sensitive, and the attenuator is wonderful - set it to low (.5 Watts) and crank the master and it gives nice Marshall tones without knocking down walls. The middle (10 watt) setting gets loud enough that it would work with a drummer. I haven't dared to flip it to the full 50 watts as yet, there are other people home :D.

Anyway, by itself I can cover the vast majority of what I need with my volume knob and pickup selector, though I have ordered a Boss SD-1 for those times when I want to tighten up the power chords.

Now I'm scheming my reacquisition of a Vela....

Here, have a pic, I'm off to play some more!

origin1.jpg

What's funny is, I've been using the same 8 scene style presets on my Ace FX III for three years work very little tweaks. 8 basic tones and I use ALL of them!

Best tones I've ever had in my life, and I used to love the living hell outta my tube amps!

To reach his own, I say!

Last edited:
What's funny is, I've been using the same 8 scene style presets on my Ace FX III for three years work very little tweaks. 8 basic tones and I use ALL of them!

Best tones I've ever had in u life, and I used to love the living hell outta my tube amps!

To reach his own, I say!

Absolutely - I know plenty of people that can dial in the tones on the modelers at the beginning and then be happy and sound great - I'm just not one of them :D.

Absolutely - I know plenty of people that can dial in the tones on the modelers at the beginning and then be happy and sound great - I'm just not one of them :D.
I have the top of the line modelers and I still like my amps and pedals. I can get along with both but just prefer the old school approach. I find that some need much more tweaking to get where you want to be than others.

Welcome back to twanging! Are you going with a SH Vela again? Someone posted a Satin Antique white solid body a little while ago, a SH in that finish would look awesome on you!

Or maybe a SH Mahi Blue, to match the Ahazz color scheme...desicions!

OK, so my recent experience with the Boss GX-100 reminded me that I really do prefer the simplicity of a tube amp. I just spend too much time tweaking the modelers - if you're looking for one, the GX-100 does sound quite good, but you have to be able to resist the urge to tweak endlessly.

I tried out a Marshall Origin 20 Head the other day in my local GC - it's what pushed me into the decision. They only had new, though, so I went off to Craigslist and found an Origin 50 Combo locally, and it was only $425. Picked it up today, brought it home, and I think I'm going to love it (I know me and honeymoon periods, and that I always love it at first!). It's nicely touch sensitive, and the attenuator is wonderful - set it to low (.5 Watts) and crank the master and it gives nice Marshall tones without knocking down walls. The middle (10 watt) setting gets loud enough that it would work with a drummer. I haven't dared to flip it to the full 50 watts as yet, there are other people home :D.

Anyway, by itself I can cover the vast majority of what I need with my volume knob and pickup selector, though I have ordered a Boss SD-1 for those times when I want to tighten up the power chords.

Now I'm scheming my reacquisition of a Vela....

Here, have a pic, I'm off to play some more!

origin1.jpg
Very nice! Pedalboard next?

Back