My McCarty has ruined me for wanting to play my other guitars

My PRS guitars are definitely a head above my other brands of guitars. Surprisingly, The ones I like playing "second much" are my Schecter semi hollows. (The C/sh1 and the c-1/ea). Something about the build is "similar" yet not as high end and the tone, maybe because they are semi with f holes is more complete than any of my other guitars except for my PRSs. In fact, I just sold one of my strats a couple of days ago.
I had a schecter C1+. I thought it was a great guitar. The Vol pot was too stiff for me and it got muffled when roll the volume down which were things that were easily fixed. Build quality was excellent.

Unfortunately I sold it a couple years ago.

I love my McCarty, but don't go getting rid of your other guitars. I tend to go back and forth with what my ear prefers. Sometimes I don't play my strat or tele for a bit and then I pick them up and the single coils sound awesome. Other times they just don't do it for me and I want my PRS or LP.

Variety is the spice of life. I think if I had a whole stable of double cuts with humbuckers, I'd gravitate toward the overall best one, and my McCarty would likely be it. But with 4 guitars of very different styles, there's a place and time for everything. My PRS is my most versatile though.

I was listening to some tracks I recorded with my McCarty before I went a little wacky and traded it in on a second 594, and damn, that McCarty sounded great!

I love the 594s I have, too, but folks underestimate the McCarty sometimes (I include myself in this group).

McCartys are awesome! Enjoy it!

Why do you think that is? I've tried a several SE and core Custom 24s and 22s, I've owned two CE24s, which I regrettably parted with, and I own a McCarty, which is currently my only PRS and my favorite guitar. At first the neck profile threw me off a little bit, but I have since adjusted to it. It's such an amazing sounding guitar. A part of me still wishes that PRS offered a McCarty with Pattern Thin necks or even Pattern Regular. Still, Pattern seems to be what's used most among regular production core models, so I don't get why the McCarty is so often overlooked. It has the body shape that made PRS famous with same 25" scale length as the Custom 22/24, a killer sound and just a joy to play.

Why do you think that is? I've tried a several SE and core Custom 24s and 22s, I've owned two CE24s, which I regrettably parted with, and I own a McCarty, which is currently my only PRS and my favorite guitar. At first the neck profile threw me off a little bit, but I have since adjusted to it. It's such an amazing sounding guitar. A part of me still wishes that PRS offered a McCarty with Pattern Thin necks or even Pattern Regular. Still, Pattern seems to be what's used most among regular production core models, so I don't get why the McCarty is so often overlooked. It has the body shape that made PRS famous with same 25" scale length as the Custom 22/24, a killer sound and just a joy to play.

One of the things that defines the McCarty is the fatter neck. Another is the thicker body. I wouldn’t wish for a change in either. It’s part of the tone package, and “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

I’m happy with the 594s I bought, don’t get me wrong. But the McCarty does something a bit different. It’d be nice to have another one at some point (I’ve had 6 over the years, so it’s not as though I don’t like it ;)).

One of the things that defines the McCarty is the fatter neck. Another is the thicker body. I wouldn’t wish for a change in either. It’s part of the tone package, and “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

I’m happy with the 594s I bought, don’t get me wrong. But the McCarty does something a bit different. It’d be nice to have another one at some point (I’ve had 6 over the years, so it’s not as though I don’t like it ;)).

I just learned from someone that PTC would shave of the neck to a different profile such as a Pattern Thin. My first thought when I read that was that I feared regretting trying to fix something that isn’t broken. Besides, I’m not 100% sure on this, but I think bending is slightly easier on a thicker neck. Either that or I polished my technique over time and I’m conflating it with playing my McCarty the most.

I know the feeling about having had the same guitar several times and parting with it. Not to the same extent (6 is a lot). I can’t stop thinking about the last CE24 I had. It was super light and comfortable. I’m just waiting on my bonus. I’ll get either another CE24, or a Custom 24 or a Custom 24-08. I’m having a hard time making my mind though.

Figure I'll leave those guitars in their cases for a few months and try again, if it's "meh" again, they're goners.
That's happened with a few of my guitars once I got an as well "new to me" McCarty from 2004, but even a $400 Epi SG still holds my favor. Sometimes people just get ahold of "their" guitar, and every other one seems like a cheap floozy in comparison. For me, it was only a few that lost me, most of mine I still love, and they sound great. Even a couple of the ones I no longer like still sound great, but just no longer feel right to me. Sometimes, some guitars (and not just guitars) are just "meant" to go to other people. idk if it's fate, the universe, a higher being or deity, or just something simpler and more basic, but to me it really seems like there's a higher order to things, something above us. Don't feel bad about losing something, feel good that someone else is getting something.
At some point, I'd like to get an aughts CU22 with a rotary (reviled by most, but seems cool to me) and a hardtail, preferably the old emerald finish, and ULTIMATE preference being a quilt top, but I'm a budget player, so we'll see if it's in the cards, the stars, or God's plan, w/e, idk.

Back