More Paisley [Brad this time]

Was looking thru the new GuitarWorld and was pretty surprised to see them giving some props to country guitarists and with Brad Paisley on the cover too boot. Very unusual for them and refreshing for someone like myself who loves country but never gets to play it anymore. They have "Sharp Dressed Man" transcribed, I had never heard his version before so I headed over to "grooveshark.com" to take a listen . Wow, that old saying is true "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy". I loved it, but I suspect I'm in the distinct minority.

Wonder if I can get my SAStudio to "twang" like that? No matter, wouldn't fit into our setlist anyway ... my bandmates would go apeshit and our audience would just stand around looking like this ... :iamconfused: or this :dontknow:

Regardless, I can't "twang" like that anymore anyway, but I might take a go at the transcription.

Last edited:
I saw that in the mag when reading yesternight.
I like reading guitar magaines in bed before I fall asleep.
To bad I do not dream about guitars after reading though.

I love Brad Paisley. He's one of those players who just keeps getting better. He's great at styles other than country, too.

If you haven't yet, read his book Diary of a Picker. Great guitar-centric life story.

I love Brad Paisley. He's one of those players who just keeps getting better. He's great at styles other than country, too.

If you haven't yet, read his book Diary of a Picker. Great guitar-centric life story.

Yes, I haven't been able to listen to a lot of his music. I didn't have time to read the article, but he seemed to talk with a lot of respect about his grandpa. anyone who does that is ok in my book.
One of the songs I do remember many years ago was called "Whiskey Lullaby", I think ... man, that was some good, old-fashioned hurtin' music.
I will check out his book ... thanx for the recommendation.

His music is mostly very mainstream country, but there's always killer guitar playing in it. You'll read in his book that he's used the same producer his whole career, a friend from college. Seems like as they got more experience and bigger budgets, the production gets better with each album. And Brad's tone and playing get better every album (and he started off DARN good).

He did an album called Play, which is mostly instrumental. Covers a lot of musical ground. That's a good starting point for guitar nuts like us.

I'll have to pick that mag up. Brad's killer--great picker, singer, songwriter--and he's one of the very few modern country artists who actually sounds country. I saw him last year in Columbus, Ohio--well, I heard him anyway--the entire crowd stood up from the first note and I couldn't see a thing! He had all these computerized laser light effects (it was called "The Virtual Reality Tour) that were probably really creative, but I couldn't see them either! Next time I'll stay home and watch a concert on TV...
And the Swamp Ash Special may not do the Tele thing, but it seems like the new Brent Mason model will--I'd love to get my hands on one.

Last edited:
Back